RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a '99 P38a and have an issue with the driver side directional (turn) signal lamps being lit all the time. I've had to remove the bulbs to avoid draining the battery and obviously when I actuate the lights without the bulbs I get a fault on the dash display for both the front and rear bulbs. Is it possible that the LCM could be bad. On an older vehicle I would suspect a relay but I don't see that as a possibility when looking at the RAVE cd.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Deke

·
Registered
218 Posts
You have a blown transistor/ moffset or whatever they are called in the BECM. You can work around it by wiring from the good one, but that is a bodge. If we knew your location we may be able to point you in the direction of some help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rewmer said:
You have a blown transistor/ moffset or whatever they are called in the BECM. You can work around it by wiring from the good one, but that is a bodge. If we knew your location we may be able to point you in the direction of some help.
I'm located in Central Michigan, USA.

Is there a instructional for dummies on doing the work around. There's no way I can pay $2000 for a new BCM like Atlantic British is selling them for.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am not aware of a guide for tapping into the good light, but re-reading your post it seems that both front and rear are on so this is not an option. Cant help you stateside, over here we have Rick the Pick to sort out these problems for us in the UK. I am not aware of anyone your side of the water that does these repairs. May be worth giving Rick a PM though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rewmer said:
I am not aware of a guide for tapping into the good light, but re-reading your post it seems that both front and rear are on so this is not an option. Cant help you stateside, over here we have Rick the Pick to sort out these problems for us in the UK. I am not aware of anyone your side of the water that does these repairs. May be worth giving Rick a PM though.
Do you think it's still a transistor because I think I could replace one of those based on what I've seen on this forum.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Most likely. The problem being getting hold of the parts. There is some good information to be found here and elsewhere on the web, but it's not a job to be tackled lightly. If it was mine I would certainly have a go.

·
Registered
593 Posts
start with the electrical sticky. A low battery voltage CAN cause the problem you have although I don't think it is this time. However you need to get your electrics working properly

The repeater on the door uses a different circuit (transistor) so you can hook a relay up to that. If you search my old posts you should be able to find how I did it. Can be done with a relay and a few crimps etc and is all done under the driver's seat.

You may however be stuck with a blown globe message

You can also swap out the power board in your bcm with one from anohter unit and that should fix it too.

however firstly do the electrical tests in the sticky and get it working. Then move on to tracking it down in RAVE. You would cut the wire feeding the right front indicator (leave room so you can join it back later) and hook that up to a relay. This relay would be fired by your right door repeater or right rear globe.

Don't parallel them or you'll risk blowing another mosfet. Unless you maybe use an LED lamp.

Just do it with a relay and the same type of globe as used in the factory.

There is power under the driver's seat already (RHD) and you should use a fuse.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I know there is a thread about this because I wrote it, use search. Or if all else fails go to my web site on the front page lower left corner there is info for tech repair call the number for BECM repair. Tell him I sent you and he will hook you up.

Scotty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts