RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a high pitch whine in my drive train and it's been getting slowly more noticeable (over 10K miles). The sound is most audible when decelerating from around 60 Mph. I think it's the U-Joints.

Questions:
1. Does that sound like I've gotten the right diagnosis?
2. Do I simply need to lubricate them or replace them?
3. If I do replace them do I do all of them at the same time?
4. Any recommendations for brands of U-Joints?
5. Is there anything else I need to replace at the same time?
6. Are there any special tools or techniques required?

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my experience bad U's vibrate but I've never "heard" them whine. I also have a whine, that gets loud enough to annoy me, and I believe it to be a bearing as it whines going up and coming down withou changing pitch. I you have a whine that changes pitch between loading and unloading then I think it's more likely ring or the pinion wear. I have been told by a RR purist that my noise is pretty typical for the mileage (208k) on my truck. Unfortuntely it's going to take a 20 ton press to do the R&R, if I can find "just" the bearing as Atlantic British only sells them already installed into new hubs. If I can get the dimensions of the bearing, I'm certain I can find one.

I would also check the levels in both diffs and transfer case, lack of or low lube may also be contributing to the noise.

"Keep the rubber side down" :thumb:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Every bearing has a number from the manufacturer and every seal has either it's dimensions, or part number on it.
Get the number and manufacturer ID off it and call your local bearing/seal supplier or search online.
Here's a few good places to start, King bearing, Kayman Bearing, Applied industrial technologies.
You can also find Rover parts on Ebay :thumb:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah mine changes pitch as well.

So the bearing your talking about goes between the differential and the U joint? Or is it inside the Differential?

·
Registered
31 Posts
aernan said:
Yeah mine changes pitch as well.

So the bearing your talking about goes between the differential and the U joint? Or is it inside the Differential?
Argh! :evil: Had a reply all done and went to preview it and was tagged to login(AGAIN) to post. Logged in and when I was returned, the post had been eaten by gremlins!

So, once again:

There are bearings where you are describing, I know them as "pinion" bearings. My thoughts are leaning more toward the front output of the Transfer Case (box), but it may be either one. The location is pretty centralized and, at times, I've even suspected my left rear axle bearing or rear pinion. Unfortunately sound transfers through metal and the drive lines are all metal. Being that my whine is perceivably dominant on the left and given that we US drivers sit on the left ( also the "right" side :lol: from this perspective) it's stands to reason that the left gets the most loading and hence likelyhood of bearing failure.

If anyone could chime in here, any insights would be appreciated.

Stay Vigilant

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My noise is coming from the right hand side of the vehicle. I'm not really sure which part it could be. Have you tried removing the front drive shaft and driving it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
The thing to look out for in this situation, driving with-out the front drive shaft, is don't leave it parked anywhere with-out the E-Brake on, or chalks under the wheel, or you'll come out and find your truck has moved about 10 feet (in my case) forward from where you parked it. My '01 4.6 HSE howls right now, I'm going through what sounds like the same thing you are. Mine howls at 52-75 MPH, and it goes "Whoooooooooo" and I can feel it vibrating in the steering wheel. Mine's sitting in the garage up on 4 jack stands right now, and I just ran it up to 75 mph and it doesn't make any noise. I guess it only 'presents' under load. I'm kinda thinkin wheel hub bearing too. I'm having a hell of a time getting the inch and a quarter nut off the hub, so I can pull the axle, and inspect it. I'll keep you up to date with what I find. Good luck. And if you figure it out, please post your findings. Pulling the drive shaft off of mine didn't make any difference on mine, it still howled the same, again good luck, Big-T.
P.S. Like I've been told, "Don't give up, eventually you'll work out all the bugs." Then you'll have the nicest 4x4 on the planet. (After mine of course) :clap: It's like the difference bewteen riding a Harley and any other bike, there's just nothin like it. :dance:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got the tires changed and a front end alignment. The truck has been pulling to the right since I bought it and the alignment and tires didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing the noise is the front right bearing as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had someone else drive recently and noticed it is coming from the rear (transmission) area of the vehicle. I still think the right wheel bearing needs changed but I think the noise is from the transfer case.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Did you check the transfer case fluid?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I popped my head under last night and found the culprit. As you guessed it the rear seal of the transfer case is leaking. I tried to check the level but the fill bolt was frozen on. I picked up some ATF and I'm going to check and fill it tonight.

The RAVE showed a special puller to remove the seal. Is it required or can I use a typical puller available at any parts store?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey, this is Big-t and I finally found the howling vibration that has been driving me nuts for the last two month's. You wouldn't beleive it but it wasn't a bearing at all it was the upper front windshield trim. Go to youtube and look under the heading :noises my 01 range rover makes: and you can see and here how it suckered me. Good luck, hopefully you have the same problem as I did. :dance: :dance: :clap:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Big-t again, after you watch that video try my other one that shows the problem titled,: Fixed, the noise my 01 rover makes : on you-tube, You can here and see what it sounds like.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

If your rear seal of the transferbox leaks be carefull with using the parking brake. The oil leaks inside the parkingbrake and lubricated everything there. A couple of years ago I have had the same problem and one day when releasing the parking brake the springs that are supposed to keep the brakeshoes under tension popped out because of the oil and the verhicle was stuck and had to be moved onto a flatbed trailer (after removal of the drive shafts) to the workshop. My mechanic told me that mine was not the first case he had come accross.

Repair was not costly just a new seal and new brake shoes but the car was stranded and could not be moved.

Regards

Jos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts