RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed an unpleasant vibration has appeared on my 2008 TDV8 Vogue.

It's only obvious between around 55 to 85 mph (it isn't noticeable at all at 100+), and is felt most obviously through the seats. You can also see the sunvisors vibrating when they are down. I would say it's coming from somewhere rearwards of the engine, perhaps behind the driver. It's not felt at all via the steering wheel or pedals, there is no accompanying noise and it isn't noticeable under braking.

I've double-checked tyre pressures, tyres and wheel weights and there's no mud, snow or ice accumulated anywhere I can see. Calipers and discs also look fine, and it doesn't appear to be related to engine speed.

Any ideas? Do propshafts or driveshafts go out of balance?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standard 19" seven-spokes and 255/55/19 Scorpion Zeroes - no council wheels here!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Trommel said:
Standard 19" seven-spokes and 255/55/19 Scorpion Zeroes - no council wheels here!
Not wheel related in any way then unless you got significant wheel/tyre damage (or lost weights) by hitting a kerb or something. Sounds very drive related but propshafts should be bullet-proof on a 2008 unless you do space travel miles...

Strange because if it disappears at highish speed its normally balance/wheel related but could be propshafts.

Any problems with the gearbox or leaks from anywhere?

Finally have you checked underneath to see if anything is wrapped around a shaft or hanging loose?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, nothing obviously amiss. As soon as I can face the cold I'll have a more thorough look underneath, but unless there is a lot of frozen mud/snow/ice stuck fast I think it will be dealer time.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Trommel said:
No, nothing obviously amiss. As soon as I can face the cold I'll have a more thorough look underneath, but unless there is a lot of frozen mud/snow/ice stuck fast I think it will be dealer time.
Could be solid ice stuck to prop shaft in those temperatures.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Trommel,

You NEED to add a location and signiture with your car details via the "User Control Panel" it realy helps other forum users. And that applies TO ALL those who have not yet done this.... :naughty:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Would love to know what this turned out to be as I'm experiencing exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had this for years, vibration at around 50kmh, 80kmh and 100kmh. Never been able to figure out what was causing it. No errors thrown, engine was replaced three years ago.

Car started throwing gearbox errors last month, hi/low gearing and hill-descent lights blinking. Select neutral warning shown, etc.
Garage diagnosed it as a faulty transferbox stepper motor, which cost €2400 new. I managed to strike a deal, we're replacing it next week. I'll report back when it's done.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Well I can conclude that my vibration was only noticeable at certain speeds also and it turned out to be a partially seized rear caliper. Delighted it was a cheap fix and she's riding smooth again. Flushed the gearbox and serviced it also and with both diffs and changed the brake fluid also. In a few weeks time i'll be changing both control arm bushings, changing the coolant and servicing the engine. Also have a slight whine from fan idler bearing so she needs to be changed also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts