RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was under an overpass, cop has traffic stopped because the underpass is flooded... After some time he started letting SUVs go through, couple of them didn't make it... Water was about 3' deep. I put it in off road mode and drove through slowly since we've all seen the pics of them passing water up to the hood. Water crested over the hood in this scenario, little deeper than I though it was. Regardless the range chugged along through the water, no water in the interior at all... Computer under the hood is dry...

Prob nothing to worry about, or should I expect tons of electrical gremlins tomorrow?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yrbender said:
Never hurt mine
You've had yours up to the hood? I noticed the headlights are clouded now... I'll worry about that if it's still around in a few days.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
3 feet is deep. A little too deep. If you drove through at the right speed and formed the right bow wave though, you may get lucky. :pray:

·
Registered
929 Posts
brad s1 said:
yrbender said:
Never hurt mine
You've had yours up to the hood? I noticed the headlights are clouded now... I'll worry about that if it's still around in a few days.
Yeah the street infront of my office floods all the time state was supposed to raise it 4' and they lowered it 4' by mistake. Never had any troubles, I dont drive slow to create a bow I just go. Its normally muddy water full of sticks and garbage too.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umbertob said:
3 feet is deep. A little too deep. If you drove through at the right speed and formed the right bow wave though, you may get lucky. :pray:

Thanks for the post, it actually might have been more than 3 feet, as it was cresting over the hood and now that I look at it that's more like 4 feet when its in off road stance. I took it around the block, put it in access mode, then off road mode... Tested everything and it seems to be working fine.

Just curious how many people have had their l322s in deep water like that...

I do have to say it didn't leak inside at all, which was impressive.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yrbender said:
brad s1 said:
yrbender said:
Never hurt mine
Yeah the street infront of my office floods all the time state was supposed to raise it 4' and they lowered it 4' by mistake. Never had any troubles, I dont drive slow to create a bow I just go. Its normally muddy water full of sticks and garbage too.
Haha awesome... So up to the hood hasn't done anything to yours, good to know.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Haha awesome... So up to the hood hasn't done anything to yours, good to know.[/quote]

No problems, first few times I went back and got my F250 but that was to big of a hassle.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You did well.

When I was downtown in the local fruit and vegetable market the other day one of the stall minders looked admiringly at my Range and said:
" That's one of those cars that has a propeller and can cross lakes and rivers, isn't it?"

Maybe he had seen you....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mines been through deep water. So much so that I have mud under the boot floor. Thats what they're designed for. Cant really harm it as long as it all dries out ok. Only thing might be worth checking is that no water made it down the diff breather tubes. Never bothered checking mine though.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My headlights are fogged up pretty nice from the inside? Will that dry out or is there a way to pop off the glass and dry them out?

thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
You have to remember that the engine and boxes need to breath. If the Air intake draws in water then you can pretty much write off the engine as it will hydrolock and bend con rods etc. Thats why snorkles are fitted by those who go out and intend to wade. They were actually origionally designed to intake air in the desert that was not as dusty as that down below.

What people often forget to it raise other breathers such as those for diffs and gearboxes. As the units submerge they cool rapidly thus sucking in air as they do so. If the breather is submerged then you get water ingress and that can be the start of troubles as oils and atf etc become contaminated.

Regards the OPs headlights my recommendation would be to pop them off and dry them out, with a hair dryer if necessary. You will be waiting an awful long time for them to dry out naturally in which time the reflector coverings will no doubt become damage. You will also get mould / crud growing inside slowly.

This isn't to teach anyone to suck eggs but to offer advice to anyone considering the same. As many RRIII owners don't look in to these matters before committing to wading then hopefully the advice will be taken and may save an engine or two. If you haven't got a bow wave then the level of water is the level under the hood.

For me without a snorkle anything above the bumper is pushing your luck when you consider the location of the air intake.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lee_D said:
You have to remember that the engine and boxes need to breath. If the Air intake draws in water then you can pretty much write off the engine as it will hydrolock and bend con rods etc. Thats why snorkles are fitted by those who go out and intend to wade. They were actually origionally designed to intake air in the desert that was not as dusty as that down below.

What people often forget to it raise other breathers such as those for diffs and gearboxes. As the units submerge they cool rapidly thus sucking in air as they do so. If the breather is submerged then you get water ingress and that can be the start of troubles as oils and atf etc become contaminated.

Regards the OPs headlights my recommendation would be to pop them off and dry them out, with a hair dryer if necessary. You will be waiting an awful long time for them to dry out naturally in which time the reflector coverings will no doubt become damage. You will also get mould / crud growing inside slowly.

This isn't to teach anyone to suck eggs but to offer advice to anyone considering the same. As many RRIII owners don't look in to these matters before committing to wading then hopefully the advice will be taken and may save an engine or two. If you haven't got a bow wave then the level of water is the level under the hood.

For me without a snorkle anything above the bumper is pushing your luck when you consider the location of the air intake.
Well aware of how the intake works... This was a puddle under an overpass, I had no clue it was going to be near 3-4' deep, otherwise I'd never had attempted it. I thought for sure I was going to suck water and be marooned out in the middle of this thing... The only possible way I made it must have been because the water level outside the car probably didn't translate into the fender where the filter is pulling from right away. I imagine had I come to a stop or got stuck, it'd have been game over for my range.

I did manage to run over something submerged, I think it might have been part of a car that hit the puddle at full speed, my alignment isn't the same anymore, it's off now.

Kinda annoying, next time I'm just going to sit in traffic like everyone else. :dance:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lee_D said:
What people often forget to it raise other breathers such as those for diffs and gearboxes. As the units submerge they cool rapidly thus sucking in air as they do so.
The breathers are pretty high up (way more than the 700mm wading limit) in the RRS/D3 and later L322 (don't know about the earlier ones).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ya, I drove my 03 rover through a small pond, when I bogged down and water started to come in through the door sills and over the hood. Needless to say, I hydrolocked the engine plus fried a lot of the electronics. Anyway, that rover was totaled so when you are wading through any water way, make absolutely sure you know how deep it is before you go. I got taught a very expensive lesson!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
macman said:
Ya, I drove my 03 rover through a small pond, when I bogged down and water started to come in through the door sills and over the hood. Needless to say, I hydrolocked the engine plus fried a lot of the electronics. Anyway, that rover was totaled so when you are wading through any water way, make absolutely sure you know how deep it is before you go. I got taught a very expensive lesson!
Wow... Sorry to hear about that, thanks for the tip! I have new respect for puddles.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Deep Water? You mean like this!?

My truck a few years ago in Canada...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I have to say that taking the l322 into water was not the best idea I had. Was driving in uk with a really hot engine after 7 hours on the highway, and for whatever reason it did not like cold water and hardly made it out of this ford:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBNn8KQaI4

Within a few weeks, even though no water went inside, or anywhere it should not have - except the missing grommet in the boot!!!!, I was replacing air compressor, all sensors underneath inc the air res tank, front suspension , etc.

4k was the bill.

My solution: took the hit, sold it and bought a rr classic. I'm in the floods in Devon at the moment, had 4foot of water lapping the bonnet, inside soaked, but got me to my Xmas destination and back the next day with no complaints.

Not sure I trust the new ones in water, and would live to see one if the 2013 rr in 900mm of water. Not even land rover have a pic of that!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts