RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 RR SC came with roof rails installed by previous owner. He removed the roof weatherstrip trim covers in order to attach the rails. I'm interested in removing the rails but am concerned with leaving the trim area exposed.

I know from researching online and talking with dealership the covers on the roof weatherstrip trim have to be clipped off to install any rails and LR does not sell just covers; you have to buy a replacement weatherstrip trim (part DBC000022LML and 32LML) which then have to be painted bc they only come primed. But the weatherstrip trim is not waterproof anyways and the trim drains. So not sure if it's a necessary expense.

I'm thinking of removing the rails and just driving with the trim covers exposed. Has anyone done this for significant amount of time and have you had any issues with leaks?

Here's a picture of the area I'm referring to with cover removed. It has a bolt where you would normally attach your roof rail to.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been missing a cover for a long time with no issues. But I am concerned about crap getting in and possible clogging the the drain space.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would get new setscrews (grubscrews) to replace the rail mounting fasteners. I would also use thread sealer in the threaded holes when you put the new screws in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents. I am concerned too about debris getting inside. But, I figure the trim weatherstrip sits on top of metal anyways.

MarkinMaine, how long have you been driving without the covers?

Also, in case anyone else is looking for set screws, i confirmed at Home Depot the original bolt size is M8-1.25. I will order 20mm length set screws in stainless steel and use loctite blue to seal and lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2007 RR SC came with roof rails installed by previous owner. He removed the roof weatherstrip trim covers in order to attach the rails. I'm interested in removing the rails but am concerned with leaving the trim area exposed.

I know from researching online and talking with dealership the covers on the roof weatherstrip trim have to be clipped off to install any rails and LR does not sell just covers; you have to buy a replacement weatherstrip trim (part DBC000022LML and 32LML) which then have to be painted bc they only come primed. But the weatherstrip trim is not waterproof anyways and the trim drains. So not sure if it's a necessary expense.

I'm thinking of removing the rails and just driving with the trim covers exposed. Has anyone done this for significant amount of time and have you had any issues with leaks?

Here's a picture of the area I'm referring to with cover removed. It has a bolt where you would normally attach your roof rail to.
I have one missing on my 2011SC, no interior leaks or issues

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nooo, don't use thread locker. Use thread sealer. Thread locker locks, but does not seal. Thread sealant will work much better. Also will keep the treads from corroding.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I poked and peeked into those holes and they don't seem to drain inside the vehicle. You could drive with no screws and it would hurt anything I don't imagine.

I took my rails off and stuck the factory stainless steel set screws back in coated with a little dielectric grease to prevent seezing and just screwed them all the way down. It'll be worse if you use a lowes or home depot set screw as it'll probably be regular steel and too short.

I barely notice the open spots on the trim after a while. Doesn't seem to add any wind noise or anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for suggestions. For anyone attempting same, the SS set screws I mentioned above fit perfectly.

I used Loctite Blue 242. It seals as well as thread locks. I dont suggest using thread sealer as it would be a pain x 6 to undo. The holes dont drain into the interior so not an area that requires that level of seal anyways nor that level of permanency.

Have driven about a month and water tested. No issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
ddsun2000
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing