RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a certain low freq rumble in the drive train that sounds like some support bearing or similar. I have had a LR garage replaced brake disks all around with new pads, and both LH/RH front wheel bearings. Wheels in balance, toe in seems ok. Still the same phenomena. It is not load dependent. Acceleration or ease off, no change in noise. It follows a frequency similar to a rotating wheel but I guess that frequence is similar to longitudinal drive shaft rotation speed as well ?
Most noticeable at low speeds below 60 km/h almost down to 0. It seems to more likely to come from the front or mid of the car than from the rear.

What is likely ? Some drive shaft support bearing ? Transfer gerbox ?
Any suggestion of steps to troubleshoot this ?

I would not attribute it to the auto gearbox which seem flawless regardless of gear. Rumble does not change if I put gearbox in neutral and let engine idle at road speed. Rumble does not change if I apply brakes. The noise is not more pronounced that a passenger will hardly take note of it unless commented, but as an owner there´s a developed listening for it. I have no experience of any other L322 so I don´t know how refined this should be. I´ll probably let a main dealer mechanic take a look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rumble noises are always tricky and mine led me to think of all sorts of horrible things. I was convinced it was drivetrain related.

My tyres were old enough, although not worn enough, to justify changing. I swopped the Pirellis for Michelins and the difference was amazing. No more rumble! I still have a strange occasional squeaking (sound of release of air) noise which the dealer tells me is something to do with the blend mixing in the aircon. Other than that quiet as a lamb!

Hope you track it down. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts