RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok having real trouble trying to isolate what's causing a vibraton between 60 - 65 mph. Would really like to get to the bottom of this as going on hols in 2 weeks towing and will be driving long distances just around the speed of the vibration.

Vibration is felt through the seat rather than the steering.

I have a litle question with regards the diffs

The area of the diff around the pinion bearing gets pretty hot. After a 10 mile trip on the motorway you can only keep your hand on this area for a few seconds - is this normal or is it a sign the pinion bearings are going - possibly causing some vibration? Both diffs seem to have some play - able to rotate drive flange back and fore by about 10 degrees.

As to trying to track down the vibration so for I have

had the wheels re-blanced

removed both front and rear props - no play or tightness evident in uj's.
Drove car with each prop removed in turn, no discernable difference with front removed, possibly slight improvement with rear removed.

Other work recently done (with no change in vibration)
new shocks
new drag link
steering box adjusted
new steering damper
new upper and lower ball joints

Front radius arm bushes possibly going - replacement is planned soon - just a case of timing it so I can remove arms, find garage to fit bushes and re-fit the same day.
I also have a spare reconditioned 4 pin diff I can put in, but don't really want to just guess which end(if any needs replacement) The current front diff was a recon fitted 2 years ago. The rear was replaced just before we bought it -so done just over 2 years ago - but I think it was a used part that was fitted.

Any suggestions on where to go nsxt appreciated.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry - just one thing I forgot

On the 2000 year 4.6 should it have 4 pin in both front and rear or was it just one end - front with the other end being a 2 pin?

thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Seems like a bearing is failing but you should hear a whine.
On some rare RR due to supply the 4 pin was installed on the front.

Hope when front prop was redone they didnt install it with yokes lined up.
Depending on Km's your front bearings maybe shot
A seized VCU also causes this along with incorrect rims as it affects the gyroscopic effect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
maybe your exhaust is moving around at that speed.. Just a thought since your said the vibration isnt in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies.

Well I spent most of the weekend crawling around the RR removing prop shafts, swapping sets of wheels etc

The only things I was suspicious of was the diffs. As the rear was of questionable history, (and it is a **** site easier to replace than the front) I decided to go for it.

The good news it seems to have sorted the vibration :dance:

What I found was the garage where we bought it from cheaped out and fitted a 2 pin in the rear :evil:

There was play in the diff carrier bearings wich I'm sure is the cause of the vibration.

As to the exhaust - this was also a problem last week - but not for vibration - half off the rear section fell off. But she was treated to a new custom stainless one fitted today.
MOT tomoorow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts