RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know where the freeze plugs typically are on a vehicle, but before I go to the trouble of sliding the transmission back. Is there a freeze plug behind the engine in between the engine and transmission? My rover is leaking out some coolant and I would like to either replace the corroded freeze plug (if it exists) or push it back in. So I don't have it dump out while I'm driving (my luck, it would be while I'm going to the mountains on that windy road in the winter with nowhere to pull off :? ).

Also, it only leaks when I fill the coolant to the "cold level" line. Once it leaks out a certain amount it stops... Has anyone else experienced this?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,391 Posts
Yes. Two of them.

See pic of my engine below:

There's another plug which looks similar in the middle and down a bit. That's the plug over the camshaft hole. Disregards it (it it's not leaking oil). It's hidden by the flywheel in this pic.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Are you finding fluid at the flywheel inspection cover? I've noticed that our resevoir goes down a touch also but I think its from the plenum heater. I think Jos discussed changing some frost plugs also, maybe he can refresh our memory.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you finding fluid at the flywheel inspection cover? I've noticed that our resevoir goes down a touch also but I think its from the plenum heater. I think Jos discussed changing some frost plugs also, maybe he can refresh our memory.
I'm not sure if it is coming out of the fly wheel inspection hole or not. It only leaked a little this time, and now the coolant resivour is right back where it was :? . I checked the four spark plugs on the left side and nothing, I'll be checking the others tomorrow, to ensure none are steam cleaned. Hopefully there isn't a head gasket leak, although I really doubt there is. Exhaust does smell "sweet", but that is how all of the other rovers that I've been around smell, so I assume nothing is wrong. I'll take it for a little putt tomorrow and see if any more leaks out, and make special note as to where it is coming from. Appreciate the in put :wink: .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts