RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TD6 and there is an item in the maintenance schedule that states you need to drain the fuel filter sedimentor as part of the 16,000 mile maintenance. Does anyone here know where that is located and how to drain it? Would like avoid having to bring into the dealer for just that item as all of the other items are very easy to do.

Appreciate any help on this.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,686 Posts
okay... add that to your signature as noted in the guidelines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm very interested in this draining of the sedimentor procedure as well. I would also like to find the info on changing the fuel filter on the TD6. I purchased a filter already but it's not due for a bit.

I have done the fuel filters in VW TDI vehicles, they required presuurizing the fuel system with a computer interface before restarting the vehicle.

It may be time for a service manual.

I'll post any info I find on either procedure.

JT

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also read this in the maintenance manual and this thread is the only thing on the internet related to it. That is really odd that it isn't mentioned elsewhere, much less how to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am in the same boat and completely agree. I have a ford diesel pickup, there is a small knob on the bottom of the fuel filter that you unscrew and let the filter drain so that any water that might have been trapped in there is removed.

The filter on the RR TD6 is mounted in the engine bay just to the left and back of the driver side strut tower, it's pretty tight and not much room at all to get at the bottom of the filter w/o removing it. Hopefully this thread gets enough interest that someone with experience in this area can provide some details.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the input, I'll check this out as I will be doing this service as well. A lot of conflicting and missing information for DIYers about this truck, but it makes sense because I'm sure a lot of people who own these aren't the types to get their hands dirty. Coming from the BMW world, there is endless information and support to work with online. This forum has been quite useful so far though.

Anyway, I figured the separator was on the bottom of the filter as I see the knob on the bottom in the photos and certain Ford engines use nearly the same engine as the TD6, so that fits well. Definitely did not do this on my first oil change though..

L494 Fuel Filter Replacement is every 30/32k miles (depending on the interval you use, 15 just seems better to go by), per the owners manual with sedimenter draining every 15/16k (oil change intervals).

Could not find this info anywhere online, had to break out the manual, thankfully it was still there. I'm very handy at auto DIY, but this is my first diesel. I will report back if I find a more efficient way to access the sediment drain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, did anyone figure this out.

if the entire filter assembly is being replaced then there should be no need for draining the sediment.

if anyone has done kindly share tips

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I replaced fuel filter on my 2016 RRS Td it is not complicated:
1. Take a picture of the fuel lines (it helps with assembly)
2. Remove fuel lines
3. Lift filter with bracket enough to unplug wires under the filter
4. Remove whole assembly
5. Remove filter from the bracket (be careful filter is full of fuel)
6. Using new gaskets supply with the filter transfer drain plug and wires to new filter (since my RRS is still under factory warranty I bought RR filter $160 I am sure I will be able to find aftermarket filter lot cheaper)
7. Install fuel filter assembly
8. Before installing fuel lines fill the filter with diesel fuel (I used very small funnel)
9. Install fuel lines and start your engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thank you. very you able to reset the service reminder ?

Hi
I replaced fuel filter on my 2016 RRS Td it is not complicated:
1. Take a picture of the fuel lines (it helps with assembly)
2. Remove fuel lines
3. Lift filter with bracket enough to unplug wires under the filter
4. Remove whole assembly
5. Remove filter from the bracket (be careful filter is full of fuel)
6. Using new gaskets supply with the filter transfer drain plug and wires to new filter (since my RRS is still under factory warranty I bought RR filter $160 I am sure I will be able to find aftermarket filter lot cheaper)
7. Install fuel filter assembly
8. Before installing fuel lines fill the filter with diesel fuel (I used very small funnel)
9. Install fuel lines and start your engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For anyone who has performed this procedure, can you confirm that the part number for fuel filter is LR041978 for the L494? Many of the part sites I have visited indicate that it is not compatible with the car and yet it appears to be the correct part.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For anyone who has performed this procedure, can you confirm that the part number for fuel filter is LR041978 for the L494? Many of the part sites I have visited indicate that it is not compatible with the car and yet it appears to be the correct part.
I struggle with this too. Everything I find seems to be for years 2013-14 or 2017-19, except the 2016. Searching for "fuel filter" in LR parts catalog for our model doesn't yield any results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, am new here and wanted to share my experience with changing the fuel filter.

I bought the branded part delivered for $92 on Amazon. Pretty much followed procedure as above.

I was able to prime successfully by pushing start button without foot on brake several times. I verified filter was primed by unhooking a hose and filling up the last 10% with a small funnel.

Took about an hour and I had no idea what I was doing. Yes, LR041978 is the correct part.

2016 RRS td6 HSE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, am new here and wanted to share my experience with changing the fuel filter.

I bought the branded part delivered for $92 on Amazon. Pretty much followed procedure as above.

I was able to prime successfully by pushing start button without foot on brake several times. I verified filter was primed by unhooking a hose and filling up the last 10% with a small funnel.

Took about an hour and I had no idea what I was doing. Yes, LR041978 is the correct part.

2016 RRS td6 HSE
Nice! Thanks for the helpful info and confirming the part number.

·
Registered
2 Posts

2016 RRS td6 HSE
There are four quick connects on the fuel filter for the 2016 RRS td6, three are standard push-button disconnects, but the fourth has a yellow clip that slides to a stop position but does not allow the quick connect to come off. Do you have to remove the yellow plastic clip completely? There is no button under the clip. We have tried pushing and pulling without success. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Penguinn
2016 RRS HSE td6

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did this a few months ago and from what I recall, the yellow clip just had to slide off enough to get out of the way so you could push the quick connect buttons on the side. Unfortunately I’m on vacation so I’m away from the car otherwise I would take a look to refresh my memory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, Chris. We will check it out. Buttons were not really apparent, but maybe we were not looking where the yellow clip had covered them? It is snowing pretty heavily here in NorCal, at the moment, but we will look ASAP. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Penguinn
2016 RRS HSE td6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I think the yellow clip mostly or partially covers the buttons on both sides. I remember the positioning making it difficult to grab them with my fingers so I had to use the end of a tool on one side to be able to press both buttons at the same time. I definitely had some trouble with this one so you’re not alone.

Stay safe up there and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Getting ready to tackle this fuel filter change as well on my rover this weekend if I get my parts.. , I'll post some pics.. thanks for all the info..

2016 range rover sport TD6

1 - 20 of 28 Posts