RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

When is it time to replace the drage link and tie rod assemblies? What are the signs when driving to help determine wheather its time to replace both pieces? Or is a visual inspection the key to determine when both pieces need replacement?

I took the Range to the shop for an unrelated matter and the tech advised I replace the drag link and tie rod assemblies soner rather than later.

What has been your experiences?

Thanks!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
look up how to test them, and test them yourself.
All it takes is a jack and 10 minutes, literally.

Martin

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
DEfinitely check them If any of the joints show rust, do not hesitate, they are dry and will wear to the point of failure. I did the front at 140k and rear at 165k The rear joint on one side actually popped apart when I put a bit of pressure on it. With elevated wheel i put box end of wrench on joint nut and wiggled back and forth. Got about 1\16 of an inch of movement and that was the joint that just fell apart with a bit of up pressure on it. The ball and socket is under spring pressure which you have to overcome to determine the actual play of which there really should be none. So unload the joint-move back and forth and pry up and down to determine play. I could also hear the loose joint-both front and rear when backing into driveway and turning the steering wheel-there was a clunk from the front end. Still the odd noise but now likely getting due for ball joints. No death wobble or odd steering issues on the highway with that dangerous joint so do not be complacent like I foolishly was.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts