Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need to replace my LHS radius arm bushes. To remove the radius arm, I need to remove the drag link first, as per rave. I removed the LHS drag link ball jt nut but unable to remove it as the rod is almost touching the radius arm. Can someone tell me how to do this as I'm stuck.

thanks & regds

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May be. I'm not sure what it's called. But it's just under the radius arms going from left to right between the front wheels.
I tried with all the EAS heights but doesn't help. I need to pull that rod upwards by about 1 1/2 inches to clear the ball joint. But with the radius arms that's not possible. I'm really stuck.
regds

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
the one behind the wheels is the track rod, see RAVE for actual details, but just thinking off the cuff could you unscrew the adjustment link on the one side until it completely separates (note the toe-in/out) then you might be able to swing the rod back giving a bit of clearance from the radius arms. I would do the other side (bushes - in other words all 8 of them) while your at it too.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the one behind the wheels is the track rod, see RAVE for actual details, but just thinking off the cuff could you unscrew the adjustment link on the one side until it completely separates (note the toe-in/out) then you might be able to swing the rod back giving a bit of clearance from the radius arms. I would do the other side (bushes - in other words all 8 of them) while your at it too.
Thanks. Yes I can see the adjustments on RHS of the rod. But is it separatable?

rewgds

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Larry.

Many thanks & You are correct.
The only way I can remove the tie-rod is to disconnect it at the adjusting point. Then it can be moved aside and the r/arm can be removed. I just removed the LHS radius arm and will see to bushes tomorrow.

regds

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,277 Posts
I replaced mine without issue, so not sure on the tight fit part myself....

Martin

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replaced bushes on both radius arms with polybush blue. Though it is said that polybushes are very easy to , it was NOT. It just don't stay. Bushes move out about 8mm and had to use large steel washers & nut/bolt set to keep it in place. Once the bush is partly inside the mounting bracket I removed the nut/bolt set & jacked up the whole arm. Anyway it took my whole day with assistance from a friend .Hope the bushes will give me at least 2 years of service.

BTW, learnt that the track rod cannot be removed as per RAVE bcs of the radius arms.

regds

·
Registered
232 Posts
For those that run into this issue and are searching for answers when trying to remove diff / radius arms which requires moving the Track Rod bar (behind front axle ) : Rave says support truck on lift with wheels removed, which allows axle to drop to full travel, on NAS crank steering wheel and remove passenger side ball joint and swing out the way. With my southdown skid plate brackets on radius arms, clearance is even more limited, but without the correct-suspension geometry there is no way the track rod bar will come out in one piece.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I must confess that I have cut off my track rod (or drag link) with an angle grinder in the past. Saves a lot of hassle.
This assumes of course that you are going to fit a new one. It doesn't really pay to just replace the ball joints. I would buy a complete new track rod.
They are cheap enough.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I replaced my track and drag bars without touching the ball joints. If I remember correctly I only had to winds the ends in to shorten the bar to get clearance and the. Wound them out again.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
It's just possible to remove the track rod with the radius arms in place, unless the bushes have deteriorated so much the arms sit lower on the axle.
You need to turn the wheel full lock, loosen the balljoint and tilt it a bit while turning the steering back. It will just slide out.
EAS height makes no difference, everything on the axle moves as a whole.

Filip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.