RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I've been reading on here for a while but only just got my P38 96 DSE RHD. This is a great resource, thank you.

I bought it with an EAS fault, but having got the software and lead I've got that reset and off the bump stops. Yay ?

But now I can't change the height because the message center says the door is always open (I had the same message from the bonnet, but disconnected the plug and that's fine now).

I've stripped the door and lock and it's a sealed micro switch (I see why the locks are so expensive) so not cleanable.
Then I put an ohm meter across the purple/white to black and it's 0 ohms with door open and open circuit when closed, so seems to work correctly. But no change in my error message.

I'm sure I read somewhere on here to link this wire to ground to fool the message center that the door was closed, although that doesn't make sense to me, I've tried it but the message still doesn't go.

Could the fault be somewhere else? Once I know what the problem is, I'll replace the fault part rather than leave temporary links in, but for now I just want to get it usable and find where the fault is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
There are a pair of microswitches in the bottom of the door lock which you can get at after (carefully!) removing all the screws. A sort of plastic leg thing swings backwards and forwards and presses one or the other. There's a diagram in RAVE but it's indicative rather than descriptive. One of those switches must be grounded to tell the door outstation (and hence the BEMS) that the door is properly closed. I don't see why permanently grounding it would be an issue.

Funny thing, on the RRs the BEMS locks the EAS height when a door is open - but on the Citroën XM/Xantia Hydractive system an open door tells it to put the suspension into soft mode by unlocking the centre spheres. This is of course to equalise the pressures when you change the loading on the car - imagine letting two big fat people out of the back and unloading a couple of bags of cement from the boot. If the centres were locked off then the thing would bounce up suddenly when the centre valve block opens. I don't quite see why this doesn't happen with EAS.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update.
I was just about to give up and noticed that the electric window and central locking had also stopped working on that door, so I think the cause was somewhere else.
I put the doorcard back on and the next morning........ everything was working fine. And it's been Ok since then.
No doubt it will rear ity's ugly head again, but for now it's fine.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,225 Posts
There are a few connector blocks in the door jamb (you have to remove the rubber sheath to get to them) on the vehicle side. These are known to go green and corrode - the power to the outstation (which the latch connects to) and also the wires for the serial link to the BECM go through these connectors - and if there is a bad connection, then it will lose communication with the BECM.

I found this was the issue on someone else's P38 that I had a look at - they were saying the central locking etc worked intermittently - and between a faulty latch (which had previously been replaced already) and corrosion in the connectors in the door jamb, it fixed it up.

Hope this helps,
Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts