RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear doors won't lock or unlock with the remote all of a sudden. I can lock and unlock them manually. Any ideas what would cause this? I checked the fuses and they're fine. My understanding is that the right front door lock controls the rears. Is that correct? I haven't had any other symtoms such as the door locking and unlocking by themself and the fronts + trunk works just fine.

Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Correct...

The computer in your right door also controls the back door locking and the locking/opening of the tailgate.

The door computers of the RR are pretty unstable. Sometimes it also happens that there gets corrosion inside. Just open the plastic boxes, clean the electrical print and when you are lucky, you are good to go.

If not, replace the door-computer(s) and the problem is solved too.


Regards,
Goswin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
What does it mean when the doors lock and unlock on their own?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I've just been through this;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33103

its not the outstation its the door lock/latch. the barrell in the door handle links to the door lock latch unit which controls the central locking latch and via switches and a motor feeds data back to the BECM via the door outstation. The outstations are ultra reliable. the door lock / latch wear out and need replacing. Dont buy anything else other than genuine land rover locks, the non genuine ones burn out in weeks.

there is a good article on the home Rangeroversnet web site showing how to replace the latch, itys a bit of a fiddle but 1-2 hrs should see job done.

I got confused when people referred to "locks" and "latches".

regards
Paul C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
cunpr said:
I've just been through this;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33103

its not the outstation its the door lock/latch. the barrell in the door handle links to the door lock latch unit which controls the central locking latch and via switches and a motor feeds data back to the BECM via the door outstation. The outstations are ultra reliable. the door lock / latch wear out and need replacing. Dont buy anything else other than genuine land rover locks, the non genuine ones burn out in weeks.

there is a good article on the home Rangeroversnet web site showing how to replace the latch, itys a bit of a fiddle but 1-2 hrs should see job done.

I got confused when people referred to "locks" and "latches".

regards
Paul C

Are you speaking about the locks opening and closing on their own?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Mark_CT said:
cunpr said:
I've just been through this;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33103

its not the outstation its the door lock/latch. the barrell in the door handle links to the door lock latch unit which controls the central locking latch and via switches and a motor feeds data back to the BECM via the door outstation. The outstations are ultra reliable. the door lock / latch wear out and need replacing. Dont buy anything else other than genuine land rover locks, the non genuine ones burn out in weeks.

there is a good article on the home Rangeroversnet web site showing how to replace the latch, itys a bit of a fiddle but 1-2 hrs should see job done.

I got confused when people referred to "locks" and "latches".

regards
Paul C

Are you speaking about the locks opening and closing on their own?

No, I'm responding to the original question he asked.I'll leave the thread creepers to their own debate, his comment was actually "I haven't had any other symtoms such as the door locking and unlocking by themself ". So why comment on something he hasn't had or isn't asking about?
Regards
Paul C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Paul,

I thought that too in the beginning... but you'll have to read the first line as following (I think):


"My rear doors won't lock or unlock with the remote anymore. This happened suddenly. Manually the central doorlocking still works fine.'


That's why I thought of the outstations.... But perhaps FlyBoy should clear that up for us.

Bye,
G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
What I believe tends to happen is the microswitch which tells the BECM
the state of the lock fails. That is why the locks won't open with the remote.
But because there is a mechanical linkage from the lock when the key is
used, the CL works fine with the key, when the remote fails.

This also means that if you need to use your EKA code for some reason once
the switch has failed, it won't work as the BECM can't tell the position the lock
is in.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I am taking the front doors apart and see if i can find anything obvious but it does sound like I need to replace the front door locks/latches like you said, Paul C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
As i searched and read through large number of posts and threads i figured no need to start a new thread about this...here it goes...

in my 2001 p38 US, when i lock the front passenger door all of the doors lock and the driver door CAN NOT open. the lock can be pulled up but the door remains as if its still locked. i can only open my door when that same passenger lock is opened. this is now affecting the viper alarm i have just installed because i still have to unlock the doors manually after i disarm the alarm with my viper remote.
when i lock the doors with the driver side lock though it can open and close fine.
so in case i confused anybody...my problem is....when the front passenger door locks i can not unlock the driver door until the front passenger door is unlocked.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,793 Posts
RangeRoMo said:
As i searched and read through large number of posts and threads i figured no need to start a new thread about this...here it goes...

in my 2001 p38 US, when i lock the front passenger door all of the doors lock and the driver door CAN NOT open. the lock can be pulled up but the door remains as if its still locked. i can only open my door when that same passenger lock is opened. this is now affecting the viper alarm i have just installed because i still have to unlock the doors manually after i disarm the alarm with my viper remote.
when i lock the doors with the driver side lock though it can open and close fine.
so in case i confused anybody...my problem is....when the front passenger door locks i can not unlock the driver door until the front passenger door is unlocked.
SO it is acting like it is super locked? Was it behaving like this before the shop returned your truck last night?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
yeah...it acted like that before. i tested the shops work by sitting in the truck and locking the driver door manually by pressing down the lock....all the doors locked and i used the viper to unlock and all the doors unlocked. just like before the installation if i locked the doors with the driver it can unlock at the same door. but when i lock it with the viper then i cant open the driver door. i hear the noise of the driver door attempting to unlock when i hit the unlock button on the viper.
refresh my memory on super locking please.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top