RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with a 2001 P38.

When ever I shut the door I get the double beep.

Car will go into Engine Disable Mode and I have to use the EKA to be able to start the engine.

The drivers door latch works. It was replaced about 10 months ago.

When I get in the car I can unlock any of the 3 other doors but I can not open the doors.

Something is faulting but I don't know what it is. I thought it may be the passenger door latch since the electronics go through it to unlock the lift gate but why would the mechanical unlocking the doors not work when inside the vehicle?

I'm afraid now the BECM will not sleep and the battery will go soon.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
DO any other door latches unlock when you do the EKA? If not...
My number one suspect would be an outstation.
To determine which one, please try the following. When someone is manipulating the driver's door latch (lh I guess since you are in New Caledonia ) do you hear the relay in the BECM?

If your door outstation doesn't send the status to the BECM it would explain your problem.

If the other door latches do click when you do your EKA, I would suspect a corroded cable so that the alarm status doesn't cancel.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It appears that the 3 other door locks are "Superlocked" In which case, moving the sill button does not physically unlock the latching mechanism.
Would I be correct in guessing you do not have a working fob, and use only the key?
When you get a "Double Beep" it usually is accompanied by a message on the dash? if so, what is it?
You say the door latch was replaced? Why? and was it a new latch or a pull out from a wreckers yard?
Who did the job? Dealer? good indy? or......??
(PS: Annette, "NC" in this case is North Carolina.....common mistake:thumb:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the history of my issue.....

I live in North Carolina, USA

The original FOB's were broken when I purchased the Rover.

Last January I went to unlock the car and the drivers door had unlocked only the drivers door but not the other door. When I got in the BECM had disabled the engine. Me not knowing really what to do I unhooked the battery hoping it would reset the cars computer. This put the BECM into a locked status.

I then found Scotty, I sent him my BECM. He took it out of locked status and enabled the EKA code to work. Before replacing the BECM I replaced the drivers side door actuator (new). The Rover started right up and has been fine since.

Last about May I installed a 3rd party FOB and wired between the actuator and the outstation. Everything has worked. One interesting note is I always believed when using the new 3rd party FOB it was locking the doors but the computer was reading they were locked from the inside. I thought this since the red indicator light in the middle of the top of the dash would not blink showing the alarm is on and the small front fender turn lights would not flash. Although they would flash if I used the key to lock and unlock the car.

Also, this meant I needed to only use the FOB or key. If I used a combo it the alarm would go off and I would have to use the key or FOB to shut it off. Example. If I used the FOB to lock the door and then unlock it everything worked fine. If I used the key to lock and unlock fine. But if I used the FOB to lock and the key to unlock then alarm mode or lock with the key and unlock with FOB it would unlock.

One more clue. When I came home yesterday the Rovers front turn signals, side signals and rear reverse lights were blinking. About every 15 seconds they would blink.

I'm afraid if it is a corroded wire and I can not find it this may be it for the Rover.

Here are some links to where I found out how to install the 3rd party FOB and I created my own on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh0W...

Work on P38 is his youtube page

mine is Range Rover P38

Sorry I could not figure out how copy and paste the links.

The super lock is a good piece of information, thank you Bolt

Anymore help with this new info is appreciated

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info on this issue.

Concerning Bolt's question about message on dash. The sunroof is open. But this message has been there for about 2 years now. The track is broken and I have "rigged" it so the glass stays in the closed position. But this has not been an issue so far.

The other doors are not locking and unlocking when I do the FOB.

I do have another outstation for the drivers door. This would be the easy solution.

When I installed the 3rd party FOB I used the wiring from the actuator to the outstation from another Rover found in a salvage yard just incase I ever wanted to remove it I could easily just unplug it and plug the original wires back in.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
OhhhhKaaaa.......
Normally, when you use a fob or key to lock, the signal to move the actuator comes from the Becm. you have taken this feedback loop away.
With your add on system, the BECM thinks it is being locked from the inside. If you happened to do a double press to lock, it could enter Superlock. This will disable the other 3 sill locks.
You are also tempting the system to use the motion sensor inside which, if it is locked and alarmed and sees motion inside, it will superlock the doors to trap the thieves inside.
So, the double beep has nothing to do with it, since you have disabled the sunroof.......
P-38s are highly resistant to hacking and work around fixes. Bypass one thing and another seemingly unrelated issue will crop up 9 out of 10 times.
Try ermoving your add on, and use the EKA as needed to get things back to normal. With luck, the Becm will not need another So Cal vacation at Dr Scotts facilities....If he is even doing Becms anymore?

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Yes Bolt is right about add ons.
Mmmm
If somebody unlocked the BECM previously surely they would disable immobilizer and alarm?
When you get a fresh door lock from Martin it comes without superlock

Superlock is easy to get rid of, take the motor out of the lock.

Or disconnect the cables at the BECM side.

You can disable the sunroof up left.

In case you ever need it I also unlock BECMs

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Bolt, I will remove the 3rd party key fob receiver that is wired between the actuator and the outstation. Then use the EKA procedure and hope this works. I did like having a remote but I’d rather have a working vehicle. I should have purchased a replacement remote in the spring of 2017. If would have known then what I know now how the BECM works with the fob I would have

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there anyway to get the super lock off the other 3 doors before the EKA procedure?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scotty did turn off the imobilizor but not the alarm. He went over all the options over the phone when he did it. I should have asked him to turn off the alarm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Annette,

To disable the sunroof are you suggesting unplugging the wires at the motor under the reading lights on the roof between the sun visors or unplugging at the BECM. If BECM can you describe which ones to unplug.

Also, can you describe which ones to unplug at BECM to disable super lock and will this disable any other functions.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Latest Update.

I just performed the EKA procedure (took two times)

It took engine off disabled and undid the super lock. Looks like the outstation is actuator are fine.

My plan is to just use the key now. I locked and unlocked the Rover a couple of times and restarted a couple times while driving it around the neighborhood.

My Rover is a second car that I really only use it to go to Lowes and Home Depot on the weekend and it has a very low value but I would hate to have to give it up because of some electrical/BECM issue.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ken

·
Super Moderator
2,109 Posts
Once the EKA has been entered as long as you lock with the key you can unlock with the key and, providing microswitches in the latch are good, it not only unlocks but turns off the alarm and immobiliser. If you want to disable superlocking, you'll need to take each door trim off and snip the Orange/Pink wire to the latch, make sure you insulate the cut ends though. Unplugging the sunroof won't change the message, it'll still tell you it is open but if you have access to anyone with a Nanocom, Faultmate, Testbook, etc, get them to tell the BeCM that there is no sunroof fitted, then it won't complain.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Richard G.....anyone else reading this thread....my only question now is why did I not have in issue using the 3rd party key fob (most likely wired incorrectly) for 6 months and then had an issue?

Also, what does the flashing turn signals and reverse light (about every 15 seconds) mean?

Thanks again,

Ken

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Thank you Richard G.....anyone else reading this thread....my only question now is why did I not have in issue using the 3rd party key fob (most likely wired incorrectly) for 6 months and then had an issue?

Also, what does the flashing turn signals and reverse light (about every 15 seconds) mean?

Thanks again,

Ken
I believe that you just had not performed the correct sequence to cause the lock out in the first 6 months.....In other words, you got lucky!
By adding the external control, you were not just activating a dumb actuator, you were also sending confusing data to the Becm in the form of sill lock operations via the still connected micro switches, when you were not in the vehicle. Hmmmmm....Can you get the Becm to super lock with 2 quick sill locks from the inside? (I cannot try as I have cut the wires on my super lock motors already)

If you happened to accidentally do a double press of the fob, the action of the door micro switches ~could~ have told the Becm to go ahead and super-lock. With no way for the Becm to get a valid code to disable the immobilizer and unlock all of the doors .

Bottom line: IF you even suspect you are having issues with the door latch or micro switches, FIX THEM, even if you have working fobs, you will eventually regret ignoring the symptoms.
I am sure that some day, some RF wizard will fall in love with a fob-less P-38 and create a substitute.....If we are VERY lucky, he will post on this forum!
The flashing lights sound like the alarm system acting up? Not too sure as I have not seen this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the saga continues.

Yesterday/last night I locked the doors only using the key. Saw the red light on the dash flashing as normal and thought everything was all good.

This morning I wake up and look outside and I get the front turn signals, side signals and back up lights flashing 3 times, small pause flashing again 3 times and pause then a long pause and it does it again. Then when I unlock the door the alarm goes off. I start the EKA procedure and the alarm shuts off. Get in the vehicle and the engine has been disabled.

So it looks like the alarm system is somehow getting tripped.

Any ideas.

Ken

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ken,

I have a Nanocom programmed for 95-02 P38 and am here in Charlotte. I don't think it would be much help with your locking issue, but it can be used to turn off the sunroof in the BECM. PM me if your interested.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts