RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the door locks work great on my 91 Classic. The problem is when I turn the key to the left in the driver's door all the locks operate correctly (locking all the doors), BUT when I turn the key back to the top to pull it out, all the doors unlock. I have tried to turn the key to the right but the locks do nothing (including the driver's door lock).

This a newly purchased truck;therefore, I know little!

Richard

·
Registered
583 Posts
Check the locks inside to see if they are going all the way up or down when you lock with the key....
Mine occasionally do that and it’s one of the locks getting stuck...
When you lock the door from the inside all the locks should lock....,
And try turning the key to the remove position a little slower if you haven’t already

·
Registered
235 Posts
..or you forget about your door lock and wire in something simple like this:

I bought two one installed and one for spares.

It was at this point I found that on my 84 with central locking installed factory that the driver side door motor is slightly different as it was not happy to lock because I think it has some key action required. So I changed it our for non-driver side motor I purchased on ebay and all is well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
..or you forget about your door lock and wire in something simple like this:

I bought two one installed and one for spares.

It was at this point I found that on my 84 with central locking installed factory that the driver side door motor is slightly different as it was not happy to lock because I think it has some key action required. So I changed it our for non-driver side motor I purchased on ebay and all is well.
Ok I like this idea
Did you wire it to the keyed door lock
Wires

·
Registered
235 Posts
Actually my 1984 (new) Grey import Texas Range Rover I think had factory remote locking of a fairly early design. I found there was some piece of factory electronics fitted which provided some logic in that the system knew if the doors were locked or unlocked preventing the same action twice. I have no idea why this was done, it is all a bit crude. The "electronic module" was just plugged into all the relevant motor wires and activation wired so I unplugged it and spliced in the remote unit. The remote unit simply provides momentary open and close (reversed) 12v power to the motor circuit and fires the indicators when you press the remote. Pretty simple apart from that the driver door lock motor having some unexplained limitations and the switched to activate the central locking so I changed this out for a standard (non driver lock) motor.

I think that when they introduced central locking there was probably a bunch of concerns about people being locked in (Remember HAL 2000!). In reality you can pull up the unlock mechanism easily. When you have a remote you never ever use the key in the lock, and I am not paranoid enough to drive around with locked doors.

Interestingly the rear tail gate does not have the remove mechanism (Not build for it an too complicated obviously). You even need a different key to lock/unlock it. I know I never lock myself out because the rear is typically unlocked - which is kinda handy. Typical British Leyland in those days everything is a bit "added on", like the electric windows and AC. It is a curiosity now, but why people paid all that money for these cars back in 1984 remains puzzling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
JS5D
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing