Range Rovers Forum banner

Door lock/unlock issues.... Any ideas or suggestions?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  qwert 
#1 ·
I went out this morning after a very cold night here in Upstate NY. I went to open the driver side door of my 99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE and it was frozen shut, so i used a little force to open it and it did open. At that point, when i went to close the door, it would not latch on and stay closed. it would just slam shut and then open, without it being locked to the latch.

Bein the smart guy I think i am, i then proceeded to hold the door shut and them lock the door with my key FOB. That did the trick in terms of keeping the door shut, but now, I can't get the door open. lol. when i press the unlock on the key FOB, the door will unlock, but then will automatically lock back up after about a second. This is happening to BOTH front doors! I'm really hoping that it's just the cold weather and some moving parts are frozen and not working properly. Anyone encounter a similar situation?

I know there have be a ton of posts about door actuators and such, but I couldn't find something that fit my exactly problem/issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Hi.
I had the same problem when we had -8C.
I ordered driver side latch and replaced it. I cannot say how it will behave when it will be negative temperature again. Old latch is on my table now, nothing wrong with it, mechanical parts are OK, micro-switches are OK, two motors are also good.
It is in my to-do-list to try to understand how it works when door is shut and it locks by itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.