RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two RRCs, both 4 doors SWB, a '91 and a '92. Both have the same identical fault.
Central locking works fine, except for the rear left door.
When I lock the car the rear left door locks fine, then the plunger immediately pops back up again.
This happens about 9 times out of 10.
The times it doesn't pop back up, sometimes fiddling with the door handle from the outside makes it pop up.
If I open the door and manually push the plunger down, then shut the door, it stays perfectly locked and no fiddling on the handle will make it pop up.
Unlocking works perfectly everytime.

On both trucks I took apart the door and lubricated all I could find. The plunger and the whole mechanism slide with little friction but still no success. I installed a known good door lock actuator (only in one of the two trucks), to no avail.

Is there any trick I'm missing?

Thanks

·
Registered
996 Posts
My 92 and 91 did the same thing...
I just paid attention and locked my truck and every day.. eventually
It stoped doing that...
I think it is just something that just needs working through...
Give it time and don’t let it drive you crazy

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
223 Posts
I have two RRCs, both 4 doors SWB, a '91 and a '92. Both have the same identical fault.
When I lock the car the rear left door locks fine, then the plunger immediately pops back up again.
The times it doesn't pop back up, sometimes fiddling with the door handle from the outside makes it pop up.
If I open the door and manually push the plunger down, then shut the door, it stays perfectly locked and no fiddling on the handle will make it pop up.

On both trucks I took apart the door and lubricated all I could find. The plunger and the whole mechanism slide with little friction but still no success. I installed a known good door lock actuator (only in one of the two trucks), to no avail.

Thanks
I have a similar issue, usually it's because the actuator doesn't have enough uumph to move al the way. It could be a dirty ground, so even though it's a good actuator, its just not getting all the voltage it needs. In addition, there are small torsion springs in the locking mechanism designed to aid the actuator in moving the assembly, and they are notorious for breaking over time. if you google range rover classic door lock springs, they should come up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, so that's what those springs are for... I bought a pack a few months ago on aliexpress because they were so cheap, not even knowing where they go, but figuring that sooner or later I'd need them. Off to figuring out where they go. Thanks.

Mikieman, yes they seem to perform a little better the more they are used. Unfortunately my trucks don't get used much at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thanks
Hey, the control unit for the central locking is under the dash above your left knee as you're driving....(USA). When the doors aren't working - unplug the control unit plug it back in and try the doors. If the doors work, the CU has a problem. They are terrible for having a mind of their own but if it's this you save yourself a lot time removing door panels and actuators. You can open it up carfelly and look for any burn marks or cracks....... But lets say it is the actuator...you can access it with panel off and manually push the mechanism in and out..open and close the doors pushing hard at the 'in and out' movements if the doors work, our actuator has a problem... missing contact, dirt, or whatever..... try opening an closing the doors from the passenger side, if it too has craziness you might want to head back over to the control unit.....

Good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I can take a door panel off quite easily but I remember the one time I had to re-install the kickpanel that hides the central locking CU and it was a PITA. Maybe I can access it sticking my hand behind the kickpanel?
Can the CU be opened and inspected, or is it sealed somehow?
I already swapped the door actuator, to no change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts