RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
13 Posts
Harrison, I’m just doing mine now, and I found that I had to file the collar to allow the pin to get into the top hole. Or, does it intentionally make for a tight fit? Also, no bronze bushes in the box with my kit. Thanks, Dave in DC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Harrison, I’m just doing mine now, and I found that I had to file the collar to allow the pin to get into the top hole. Or, does it intentionally make for a tight fit? Also, no bronze bushes in the box with my kit. Thanks, Dave in DC.
Collar? Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Collar? Can you post a picture?
Handle is installed already and working fine. I will try to describe:
The diameter of the locking collar is such that when the pin is goes through both holes in the handle pocket, the collar is pushed up tight against the back of the pocket. I filed a small flat on the outside edge of the collar so it wouldn’t push up against the back of the handle pocket. But then I realized that having it tight like that helped hold everything in place so I flipped the collar over, doubt that makes any sense without pics. Anyway, not really an issue, just wondering if it was supposed to be a tight fit like that.

What about the bronze bush? Mine did not come with any.

Thanks again, DB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think it's a result of drilling tolerance on the pin holes. Ideally the pin will be fixed, the collar will be fixed to the pin, and only the handle will rotate around the pin. My concern is that if the handle and collar are bound together, and the collar set screw tight to the pin, the pin will be part of the assembly that's twisting.

If the pin continues to turn with every handle pull, it could eventually become loose in the handle cup, as I believe those cups are cast aluminum.

However, the fit of the pin should be tight into the cup. The only job of the collar is to ensure the pin doesn't fall "down" in the case that it does become loose. Ideally, the collar should not rub on the handle, you can loosen it in place and use it for a while. I realized the bronze washer was over complicating things, and started not using them. Have not updated instructions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Harrison,

Thanks for all the replies on this. In my case, I think your assessment about the drilling tolerance may be spot on. Your handle fits fine with no binding, and I don't expect any issues based on how it all went together.
Bottom line is I am stoked to not have to climb through the passenger side. Also, good to know on the bronze bush.

Thanks and stay safe!
IMG_4910.jpg
IMG_4912.jpg
IMG_4914.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
While I understand this is a weak point, I do wonder how ya'll break them. I cannot recall ever seeing this failure in real life. My 1984 door handles are bubbling and I came across a 92 in the local pic-n-pull and removed all 4 door hinges. I am currently swapping out parts to make it look better. All 8 door handles so no sign of cracking.

Does it have to do with how you open the door, maybe greasing up the mechanism more often?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
After looking at mine, I can honestly say it's not operator error. Maybe some were cast at a different factory during production, causing this discrepancy? I can only imagine this is a big problem though, due to the number or inquiries I've gotten for handles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are they still available? My right front door is showing a tiny crack.I replaced the drivers door handle years ago..Don;t know how to pm.
thanks

21 - 28 of 28 Posts