RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting pretty frustrated with the exterior door handles on my 92 RRC, and found that replacements (typically from ebay, pulled off donor cars) were ridiculously expensive and also, did not guarantee longevity as the same problem likely could occur down the road. I have very little trust for 80s-90s pot metal parts, especially high use, high stress parts like door handles.

We've all see this before, likely:

So, I disassembled my drivers front door latch/handle, and pulled the handle out after removing a (very rusty) pivot pin. The pin has a knurled end that is pressed into the handle "cup" (black handle housing) The handle cup is aluminum I believe, the pin was regular steel. It was rusty:

I carefully took measurements of the old parts and decided to have a go at making replacements, because these are so hard to find and I can't stand having things break, likely at the worst possible time.

The replacements came out nice, and fit directly in. I made them out of stainless steel and used a straight stainless steel dowel pin. Instead of trying to press fit it into the handle cup, I use a bronze washer and locking collar to ensure the pin doesn't go sliding out. The assembly also sits into the door recess quite tightly, which also prevents the pin from moving.

Looks pretty stock!

There is an album showing the replacement of the handle and associated videos of operation etc. I have materials to build about 50 of these (they are all welded stainless, super tough) if anyone is interested in some peace of mind!

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
I was getting pretty frustrated with the exterior door handles on my 92 RRC, and found that replacements (typically from ebay, pulled off donor cars) were ridiculously expensive and also, did not guarantee longevity as the same problem likely could occur down the road. I have very little trust for 80s-90s pot metal parts, especially high use, high stress parts like door handles.

View attachment 282299

So, I disassembled my drivers front door latch/handle, and pulled the handle out after removing a (very rusty) pivot pin. The pin has a knurled end that is pressed into the handle "cup" (black handle housing) The handle cup is aluminum I believe, the pin was regular steel. It was rusty:
View attachment 282300

I carefully took measurements of the old parts and decided to have a go at making replacements, because these are so hard to find and I can't stand having things break, likely at the worst possible time.

The replacements came out nice, and fit directly in. I made them out of stainless steel and used a straight stainless steel dowel pin. Instead of trying to press fit it into the handle cup, I use a bronze washer and locking collar to ensure the pin doesn't go sliding out. The assembly also sits into the door recess quite tightly, which also prevents the pin from moving.

View attachment 282301
View attachment 282302
Looks pretty stock!

There is an album showing the replacement of the handle and associated videos of operation etc. I have materials to build about 50 of these (they are all welded stainless, super tough) if anyone is interested in some peace of mind!

If you make any more, ill take 4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
hmacris - I know this is an old post, but I'm interested in at least one of these if you have any. My handle looks like your picture, but worse. I'm primarily interested in the front drivers side (North America).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah - sorry not an old post...I was looking at "joined" date.

I'll take at least 2 (front and rear left side) and maybe all 4 depending on price.

Please let me know - at any moment my current handle will be non-functional and it's my daily driver :)

·
Registered
8 Posts

View attachment 282299

View attachment 282300

View attachment 282301
View attachment 282302
Looks pretty stock!

Yes please!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts