RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder whether anyone has successfully sprayed the door handles of the P38. I was considering taking mine out and respraying them with a Rust-Oleum Hard Hat paint which is supposed to be good for harsh conditions. It should suit the door handles.

The one thing that I am concerned about is the fact that the handles are plastic [sort of] and I wonder whether the paint will come off, even if I use the correct Rust-Oleum primer.

Any advice welcome.

Pierre3.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wonder whether anyone has successfully sprayed the door handles of the P38. I was considering taking mine out and respraying them with a Rust-Oleum Hard Hat paint which is supposed to be good for harsh conditions. It should suit the door handles.

The one thing that I am concerned about is the fact that the handles are plastic [sort of] and I wonder whether the paint will come off, even if I use the correct Rust-Oleum primer.

Any advice welcome.

Pierre3.

I have been very happy with a product called Trim Kote retorer made by Detail Kings. Just get the black. They try to sell you another bottle that goes with it but no need. It is a dye. I put it on my door handles about 2.5 years ago and they still look new.

Make sure you tape off anything you don't want black
Wear gloves.
Best to use when it is 70 degrees or cooler. You don't want it to dry too quickly. Basically just put a little in a small piece of rag and spread it it.

Kind of expensive $40 for a 16oz bottle but well worth it. Also makes the grill, front and back bumper, grill and the back trim fake leather pieces next to the rear glass look new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used forever black to do my bumpers, door handles and grille. Looks great years later.
That's good stuff, did my (very greying) trim with it a couple of weeks back. I have never found anything to work but a coat or two later and it's held up so far looking much nicer. Wonder what the dye is, I've tried so many good ideas before which just don't seem to work.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have used Forever Black as well on my bumpers and door handles. It is good stuff and does last. Comes with a special detergent to degrease parts before painting.
I have been using a car shampoo with added wax, which is a mistake I think. Leaves a wax film on black parts that slowly builds up and turns white.
I will try and find a car shampoo with no wax once my 5L container is used up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts