RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a warning to all. The car's I have owned over the past 10 years aways had a feature to shut off headights or other accessories if left on for a certain amount of time or the battery was running low. I came home last night an turned the headlights on to fiddle with some settings on the dashboard. As can be expected these days, I left he headlights on. I happened to go outside 2 1/2 hours later and noticed the headligts were still on. I hooked up my charger and the amp reading showed the battery was pretty tired. The moral of the story is "don't leave your headligts on or you might be stranded the next morning".

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I wonder, did you even try to start the car? These LEDs don't use a long of battery so the automatic shutoff might have been waiting for it to drop below a point it still hadn't reached. Very curious about this.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder, did you even try to start the car? These LEDs don't use a long of battery so the automatic shutoff might have been waiting for it to drop below a point it still hadn't reached. Very curious about this.
no I didn't, but I could tell by the amp reading on the charger that the battery was pretty weak. Take one for the team and leave your lights in for a few hours tonight.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hmm... also surprised that it does not have an automatic shutoff.

Did you set the delay? I don't remember what the max delay was, but I set mine at the quickest, which I think is 30 seconds.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you left the car with lamps on, it gives a warning.
The sequence of events was not normal. I parked the car in the driveway, turned the motor off, got out and closed the door. Then I remembered I wanted to make some instument adjustments with the light on. I turned the light on and started playing with things. I can't remember if the door was open. When I got done, I don't recall hearing the normal headlight warning chime. That is not to say it didn't happen.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The sequence of events was not normal. I parked the car in the driveway, turned the motor off, got out and closed the door. Then I remembered I wanted to make some instument adjustments with the light on. I turned the light on and started playing with things. I can't remember if the door was open. When I got done, I don't recall hearing the normal headlight warning chime. That is not to say it didn't happen.
This exact thing happened top me yesterday, except I turned around and saw the lights on and went back to turn them off. I was surprised.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This exact thing happened top me yesterday, except I turned around and saw the lights on and went back to turn them off. I was surprised.
Playing with the mode controls, I did see the headlight delay. I have mine set at 20 seconds. I can't remember the longest setting, maybe 2 minutes? Certainly not 2 1/2 hours!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Is there a chance you may have left it in aux mode? The lights should have turned themselves off. You mentioned you were fiddling with controls and settings which would have required some sort of ignition power. If the truck is powered in aux or run with engine off the lamps will stay on regardless of settings.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a chance you may have left it in aux mode? The lights should have turned themselves off. You mentioned you were fiddling with controls and settings which would have required some sort of ignition power. If the truck is powered in aux or run with engine off the lamps will stay on regardless of settings.
Good point. When I noticed the lights on, I opened the door and checked the dash. I'm pretty sure everything was off. If not, everything will be dead when I get home this afternoon because I took the charger off. Interesting, I was reading the manual and it shows how to jump the car, but the battery must be disconnected by an official Land Rover technition before charging. I figured if you can jump the car, you should be able to charge it too. They said the same thing about changing the battery. Only Land Rover can do it so they don't even show where the battery is hidden.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Totally unacceptable for a luxury car at this price point.

I also noticed that the vanity mirror light stays on if you slide open the mirror cover and close the visor.

My 2007 VW Golf doesnt even allow for this to happen !

Germans for the win in this category

·
Registered
437 Posts
Did you lock the vehicle when you left it with the lights on? Typically, most cars will turn off their lights (even if left in the ON position) once the doors are locked - as a failsafe to save the battery.

I might have to test this out when I get back home...

·
Registered
748 Posts
So in my case, I had the car in acc with the lights turned "on" and was playing with the blinkers, flashers, fogs, and highbeams. I was outside looking at the function and generally admiring the car. When finished, I closed the door and locked it via the keyless door handle. I noticed the lights were still on after walking away, although I don't know how long that was (a few minutes).

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you lock the vehicle when you left it with the lights on? Typically, most cars will turn off their lights (even if left in the ON position) once the doors are locked - as a failsafe to save the battery.

I might have to test this out when I get back home...
No Double E. I'm sure I didn't lock it (gated community).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts