RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JRHartley and I have been 'die-hard' EAS fans since we have owned our P38s. We take them offroad quite a bit and love our P38s. JRHartley just dropped $1200 on new GenIII bags and longer Terrafirma shocks. I just rebuilt my compressor and valve block. Well, last week, our devotion to EAS literally exploded in our faces. On the first day of an 8 day Death Valley expedition, a rear GenIII bag blew-up! We were offroad, but thankfully it let go just before a big obstacle. He limped it off the trail and home for 600 miles while I continued on the trip. Arnott is sending him springs as I type this.

My P38 did great with the EAS during the trip of 1300 miles and a lot of offroad miles. I climbed some difficult obstacles and scraped my armor pretty good and also bashed in my rear bumper on a very tough climb. We winched a few vehicles here and there and I will post a write-up soon.

I will be keeping my EAS until this fall, but we will not do any more major expedition trips without springs. We could have been in serious trouble if it blew in another spot on the trail.

I am bummed :sad:... We will see how his P38 on coils rides compares to mine over the next few months. We are thinking of keeping the onboard compressor and tank for air storage

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
353 Posts
As easy as coils are to install, why not just pick up a spring conversion and keep it around for backup. I know it sounds crazy at first but it makes some sense, the only time coils work better than EAS is in an emergency, so why keep it castrated the whole time. You already have the EAS parts so it wont cost you anything to leave the bags installed, and your buddy could get a new Gen 3 bag on warranty.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Get old man emu HD coils and be done! never have to worry again.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have exactly the same doubts, so I carry a spare oem bag front and back.

Coils are just not as good .... (runs for cover ....) :)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
A spare bag for each end would solve the problem, although I must admit that coils would be tempting for a rock crawler. Now a nice set of coilovers would be the best of both worlds if the room could be made for them....

Martin

·
Registered
931 Posts
This seems to happen quite often with new Arnott air springs,judging from posts on here and on other sites.No wonder they offer a lifetime warranty as their quality control seems a bit suspect.A lifetime warranty is great,but doesnt cover the inconvience and dissappointment of the OP and his companion and the others who have suffered this failure.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I admit, i think the air springs are a cool factor. I'm sure I'd like the features of lowering and lifting the vehicle. I've driven P38's with air springs on them. I don't think the ride is much better then coils. Especially since my coil springs have a progressive spring rate.

But when you are miles from civilization and you have to ride home through rock gardens on your bump stops, no way in hell for me.

I went to Moab and did 18 miles on the slick rock, I can't imagine doing that on the bump stops. i would have left it there and walked home.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I hear you on all of that getlost, but it seems like a permanant solution to a temporary problem. From your posts you seem like a skilled technician and doing a spring install or air bag replacemnent out on the trail is a pretty simple project. When I installed my Arnotts I did a simulated trail repair, I used my factory bottle jack and a 2' hard wood log to support the vehicle and it was really easy.

Eric

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yes, air springs are very easy. No problems installing them at all. It takes very little time unless the guy your working with drops the front axle and rips apart the brand new air spring. not to mention breaks the plastic mounting part. Man i wanted to smack him around. Then i had to take the old spring apart to get the old plastic mounting parts and put them into the new bladder.:naughty: And he claimed to be a certified Mercedes tech, that knew everything.

My problem is if say I do blow one, then i throw my spare on (i'd carry one front and one rear), then that one blows up. Or of the compressor decided to die. You could also puncture the air tank on a rock. You just never know.

To me its a large expense that is done away with and makes my vehicle much less worry some when i'm 100's of miles from home and all my tools. Everything else is pretty bomb proof with proper maintenance. As long as the cooling system is in good shape, there is nothing else to worry about other then the BECM. i've put almost 30000 miles on my Range Rover in 1.5 years and have not had anything other then Crank Position Sensor leave me stuck at work.

These vehicles are extremely simple to work on, now that I know all the quirks.:twisted:

·
Registered
966 Posts
When you've permanently removed your sway bar and run 32's and drive offroad on occasion, the benefit of being able to drop your height for daily use makes up for the maintenace aspect of the EAS, in my opinion.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I remember one of your posts "getlost" that stated you unseated a coil in Moab. It is no more dificult to reinstall an airbag than a coil.

My Gen 3's have aluminum mounts and a "permanantly" retained bladder, so breaking plastic and unseated bags should not be an issue when using Gen 2 or 3. I tow quite often as well and the auto leveling alone is worth it to me and the EAS sure does make it a multi purpose vehicle with raising and lowering as necessary.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I;ve unseated coils on other rigs I have had. I would much rather undertake a field replacement of an air spring over a coil.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I replaced my coils with Gen II's when I uncastrated mine last year, my Gen II's have plastic mounts! I am the only person to work on my Rover now, even down to balancing and mounting tires! I think whoever put coils on mine put the wrong ones on, they were blue, Discovery maybe? But anyway, on the freeway it rode ok, but bottomed out constantly on rough surfaces and off roading was not pleasant!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
It took me all of five minutes to reseat my coil. Including the time to get the jack out of the back which was buried under a cOoler and tools.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The other limitation to EAS is 31 inch tires. I would really like to put 32 inch tires on and that is really only achievable with coils. Someone in Australia was making the longer bumpstops, but then had problems with bottoming out. ugh... I just love the ride on air...

If JRHartley had 32 inch tires, he wouldn't have been able to limp home.

Yes, he should have brought a spare airspring, but the GenIIIs were brand new! Very disappointed...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pic of busted airspring:

genIII_fail.jpg

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wow! Unless the shocks were to long, or dodgy quality manafacturing......:naughty: Quite frankly I wouldn't touch Arnott stuff anymore, imagine if the OP's mates spring went on the HWY?

·
Registered
57 Posts
JRHartley and I have been 'die-hard' EAS fans since we have owned our P38s. We take them offroad quite a bit and love our P38s. JRHartley just dropped $1200 on new GenIII bags and longer Terrafirma shocks. I just rebuilt my compressor and valve block. Well, last week, our devotion to EAS literally exploded in our faces. On the first day of an 8 day Death Valley expedition, a rear GenIII bag blew-up! We were offroad, but thankfully it let go just before a big obstacle. He limped it off the trail and home for 600 miles while I continued on the trip. Arnott is sending him springs as I type this.

I am bummed :sad:... We will see how his P38 on coils rides compares to mine over the next few months. We are thinking of keeping the onboard compressor and tank for air storage
I picked-up the new GEN III's in February through TruePoints 4x4 and they came directly from Arnott's Florida location to me in CA. I also picked up new Terrafirma's all round via those jolly nice chaps at British Pacific here in CA. Within 48 hours of fitting the bags and shocks I noticed the passenger front drooping over night; valve block and pump were re-built 8 months ago and worked perfectly so I pulled the bag out.

Closer examination revealed the bag had not only been cut off kilter at the top but the crimp had also been installed incorrectly - A call to Arnott resulted in $225 of out of pocket expenses in order to obtain another front bag. The new one arrived promptly and Arnott refunded not only the bag cost but all shipping there and back, I was happy again.:razz:

Fast forward to April 7th and I am making the approach to Goler Wash in Death Valley; at this time there has been no real serious off-road work, a Robin Reliant could have made it to this point. As I pulled up behind the LR3 ahead of me in our NCLR group, a massive gunshot rang off the walls and the drivers rear hit the stops./:(

Myself and another china peeled off and limped 'Bubbles' as my P38 is affectionately known in these parts, back home where we discovered the bag was intact, but the lower crimp had just let go. As SpikeMD says, springs are en-route.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I've never flexed the suspension that far i guess. I'm going to build some cones of retainers to keep the top of the springs in place. My shocks are probably longer then should be, but the suspension has very good travel.

I guess you never know something is going to happen until it does. I've flexed the suspension pretty good and never had any problems. The Golden Crack was a little violent going across the way I did. I think most people run the trail the other way. And I almost think it would be easier the other way. It was my first time in Moab. I guess next year i'll run it the correct way. There were parts that would have been much easier to fall down then try to climb up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts