RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm currently stocking up the parts to do a front end conversion from my 2003 HSE to a 2006 Supercharged. I've already ordered the following:

Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights
Front Grill
Front Bumper
Front Crash Bumper
Front PDC Sensors (4x)
Front Fog Lights
Side Fins
Taillights

I think that is all I have, I know I need to order the plugs to connect them to my 2003 wiring harness. Is there anything else I need to get this conversion done?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
youll also need the 2 parts of the front panel where the headlights fix onto, 2 wheel arch liners as the older model are too short, new connections for the fog lights as they are not the same

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think those parts are included - can I get them directly from Land Rover? I'm buying the parts from a buddy who is doing a 2006 to 2010 facelift so I'd assume I get any and all parts that are pulled from the 2006 and replaced with 2010 ones - would that include arches and the front panel things?

Also, I can't decide what plugs to order. I've read conflicting reports of exactly what I need... I've been linked to two, the first of which is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Range-Rover-2006-20 ... _786wt_948 -- $54 from the UK.

I've also seen different ones on L322.com that I can't find right now.

Can anyone please link me to a set of plugs they used when converting your 03-05 to 06+ please, please, PLEASE send me a link - I'm doing the install next week so I want to try and get as much of this ordered as possible ASAP.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link.

I guess I can get the ones off of Ebay, I thought I found some that seemed to be put together a bit better and with instructions and what not... Probably not needed anyway.

How many hours of labor do you think the swap should be at a shop? Any estimates on what I'm going to be paying for the front bumper respray, installation, etc...??

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
i did mine myself, took my time doin it, it took about 8 hours, no doubt a bodyshop could do it quicker, i just wanted to do it myself, i paid 125 euros to have the bumper painted, your best bet is to call a few bodyshops up and compare the prices that they quote, take a look at www.l322.com for help doing it

·
Registered
124 Posts
The link www.l322.com seems to be broken. Can anyone point me towards some pictures or a process that show what need to be done?

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Many thanks for this link.... Very useful.

I've got the parts out to compare the current 2004 square headlights with the 2007 Supercharged parts I've got.

Questions so far are:

a) I think the 4.4l air filter housing will need to be removed as the 2006 lights wont fit with this housing in place. Has anyone experience of fitting an induction filter, if so which one did you use?
b) I think a lip on the front of the 2004 wings will need trimming/cutting back to allow the 2007 lights to fit. Presumably this just needs cutting back with a fine cutting disc.
c) I haven't yet worked out how the top of the 2007 lights fit onto the 2004 grill top slam panel - am I missing a part from here, or does the whole panel need replacing?
d) Has anyone experience of the best place to get hold of the light plugs? Prices on eBay vary from £38 to £85, and everybody seems to say not to trust the others as they have got the wiring wrong. Are the plugs the same for the 2010 lights as for the 2007 lights as these seem to be cheaper? Is the Freelander 2 light plugs the same as they look similar?

Sorry for all the questions. I've searched and can't find answers to these things, and it would be good to have a definitive instruction guide on here.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
You will have to trim the fenders. Quite a bit actually. Additionally, you have to cut notches in the core support for the headlights to sit in completely.

I got my connectors from simtek because I personally dislike pigtails.

http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.php/16_way_land_rover_headlight_connector/?k=:::1596934

The 06 headlights have secondary brackets that hold them to the slam panel, so you'll need those as well.

As for the air filter, I am running an AFE dry flow cone filter and a right angle adapter so that it sits where the stock airbox was.

You will have to cut the mounts off the engine cradle so the 06 bumper fits. There is some different ductwork down there as well.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Located near Manchester, UK - so probably a bit far to see what you've done.

I've moved forward over the past couple of days. I found the SimtekUK site and phoned them up. Their prices are currently £15 per plug if you do the wiring yourself, or £30 per plug with the wiring already fitted (plus p&p). I've now got the light plugs (they are the same as for the 2010 lights but with a different wiring plan), but found several contradicting wiring diagrams for the 2007 lights. For example, some say you need to provide a connection for a better high beam to move the xenon shutter up. I'm not sure if everyone who does the conversion does this, or even which wires to connect so this works.

I've found out how the 2007 lights fit to the 2004 top slam panel - this is quite straight forward and they just bolt on like the 2004 lights - there are tabs on the lights that can be lifted up to see the hole.

I'll have a look for the AFE cone filter. Demon Tweeks have a PiperCross foam cone filter that seems to fit straight on to the 92mm tube right by the air flow meter for about £47 (200mm long). This filter copes with up to 355bhp so would be fine for the car.

I've seen elsewhere pictures about trimming back the lip on the wings, and also trimming the bumper crash bar fog light holes to allow the later fog lights to fit - they are slightly wider apart.

I'm not sure yet about whether I need to change the plugs for the fog lights (SimtekUK also have these) or the plugs for the parking sensors, or whether the parking sensors just move over from the old bumper. Better check this before having any of the bumper painted.

Apparently, you need to fit a high pressure pump so that the headlamp washers don't just dribble out. It is a MOT (annual test) requirement that these work properly in the UK. I've also not clear about how this needs to be wired yet, or whether I can get away with not changing the washer bottle.

Not sure what you mean by cut the mounts off the engine cradle - don't suppose you could include a picture?

I'll take photos when I do the job and post them here for the benefit of others who do the conversion.

Any other tips and tricks before I start would be gratefully received.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts