RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doh, spring conversion & 2" spacer vs Gen 3 questions

I've been having EAS issues off and on and after fixing them every weekend I was toying with the idea of converting to springs. I do a lot of off roading here in New Mexico and I'm not opposed to a stiffer ride. After searching the threads here over the weekend I guess my questions are two fold...

- If I do convert to springs and consider adding 2" puck spacers would I need to mod the drive line at all to accommodate the angle. I'm rather confused with this as many threads I've read mentioned of some new noise(s) with the 2" spacers. I would assume as well that I would need to find longer shocks. I have stock size tires and wheels. Not sure what a good size upgrade would be with this set up.

- If I go with Gen 3 air springs I assume that longer shocks would be needed to be able to use the extra 2" or so of lift (as well as longer height adjusters). Any other mods needed with Gen 3. To anyone that has added Gen 3's is it a straight forward replacement? I've replaced struts/springs and shocks on my 02 Saab Aero before and would be willing to tackle this.

TIA

01 HSE 74K

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: Doh, spring conversion & 2" spacer vs Gen 3 questions

A52.

What would you like to achieve ? I've thought that the blokes from "Airbag Man" down-under could come up with an alternative answer you may not have thought !

I've posed 'Tasi Devil' on the Classic section of this forum the same question with respect to an agricultural solution to replacing air bellows/spring replacements.

Give us ideas of any type of alien off-road adventures you get up to in New Mexico such as rock crawling, pre-running, touring, mud plugging, expeditions, etc.....

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I do a lot of forest service access roads - from deep rut gravel/mud, to snow in winter in the middle of nowhere. Mostly pleasure, not pre-runner. I do have stock 18" wheels and tires at the moment (looking at adding General AT2's). I am somewhat intrigued with a Gen III system and 2" lift after a couple of hours of reading threads here. Though I've had a string of bad luck with the EAS of late. Hence my interest in possible going with a spring conversion. I don't abuse my rover off road but it'd be nice to know I don't have to baby it as well.

·
Registered
543 Posts

A52.

I think 'Desertboy' from Arizona had fitted Arnott GIII's to his P38 last year with Doetsch-tech 8000 series dampers and is an acceptable replacement option dude ?

Air-bag man from down-under offer their "On-air system" alternative which is a manual air inflation setup which operates stand alone to the Rangies EAS system and this could suit your specific needs, thereby allowing you to simply tee into a compressor at the local service station and pre-set the pressure in their air bags !

If your speed is slow to medium in nature the Pre-runner shocks are acceptable, or if your traversing corrugations or high speed pursuits than go for the Bilstiens.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts

Yes, I have Gen IIIs with Doetsch-tech 8000. Gen IIIs are a straight replacement for the stock ones and made a huge difference to handling. As for the shocks, Doetsch did take my old shocks and spring heights for the Gen IIIs to custom make the new ones and they have a life time warranty. Having said that, the shocks seems to come between the Magic Carpet ride Vs hard on the pavement. I don't off road and I haven't taken advantage of the extra 2" of height the springs provide. If I read the threads correctly, you will need Rover Connection's extended sensors.
As for the EAS, I did a full rebuild of mine back in 2007 and apart from a height sensor setting an Error code now and then (I believe a simple fix is in order by turning the sensor 180 to use the unused part of the rheostat) it has been trouble free (shouldn't have said that with a 1500 mile trip coming up). I do carry the EAS buddy around for those Rover moments.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts

RoverABQ said:
I do a lot of off roading here in New Mexico and I'm not opposed to a stiffer ride.
That's a common mis-conception, for offloading you want a softer, motor compliant ride, not stiffer. The RRC has a nice soft ride with OK road manners, a Porsche has a very stiff ride with excellent handing. The stock p38 tries to mix the two concepts and does well, the GenIII springs do a lot to improve on this. The HD coil springs are more for towing/hauling than offroading, but since they're stiffer a stock RR will sit higher, leading many to the assumption that they're for off road. If you want coils for offroading, you want a longer, softer spring-it will compress more under the rovers weight, but will allow the wheels to travel more freely over bumps etc.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Besides Rave of course are there any write-ups out there regarding replacing the airsprings and/or spring conversion?

·
Registered
550 Posts

desertboy said:
Yes, I have Gen IIIs with Doetsch-tech 8000. Gen IIIs are a straight replacement for the stock ones and made a huge difference to handling. As for the shocks, Doetsch did take my old shocks and spring heights for the Gen IIIs to custom make the new ones and they have a life time warranty. Having said that, the shocks seems to come between the Magic Carpet ride Vs hard on the pavement. I don't off road and I haven't taken advantage of the extra 2" of height the springs provide. If I read the threads correctly, you will need Rover Connection's extended sensors.
As for the EAS, I did a full rebuild of mine back in 2007 and apart from a height sensor setting an Error code now and then (I believe a simple fix is in order by turning the sensor 180 to use the unused part of the rheostat) it has been trouble free (shouldn't have said that with a 1500 mile trip coming up). I do carry the EAS buddy around for those Rover moments.

Sorry Dennis, My bad: I meant to say "Rover Renovations" not "Rover Connection's extended sensors". I think I had a Rover Moment when I posted that message.

·
Registered
550 Posts

RoverABQ said:
Besides Rave of course are there any write-ups out there regarding replacing the airsprings and/or spring conversion?
If you are referring to upgrading to Gen IIIs, they come with complete instructions and some good write ups here. If you are going that way, you may want to sort out your EAS issues first.
Like Dennis said, original P38 bags got stiffer with height and wasn't ideally suited for handling in our trucks. Gen IIIs are stiffer at low height settings for freeway/high-speed handling and softer at heights when lifted for off-roading.

·
Registered
543 Posts

G'Day DB.

Could you post some pics of your installation to Arnott G111's and Pre-runner shocks ? These might be useful for any other future Rangie P38 members Stateside !

Your specification or product No.'s from Carol at Doetsch-Tech would be advantageous as well, thereby interested parties could improve with a similar upgrade too.

I understand 'A52' has certain requirements for his trucks off highway performance at the moment and your suggestion of checking over the EAS I think he's done.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
550 Posts

I'm running DT-3000 (revised from P38s with Arnott Gen IIIs) not DT-8000 which has a harder ride according to Doetsch. I got the specs from Arnott's Web site and here they are:

I have copied the spec page from this lengthy thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28788&start=15

Arnott Gen IIIs have an extra 2" of travel on the front and 3.5" of travel on the back.
With that in mind, I just now corrected the measurements to 26"-16" for the Doetsch Tech fronts.

For recalibrating the ride heights with GenIIIs, these are the measurements (I'll be setting these heights once I have replaced the Shocks, Track Rod and driver side Swivel arm Ball Joints):

Front: Raised 11.0", Normal 9.5", Highway 8.5"

Rear: Raised 12.25, Normal 10.75", Highway 9.5"

More info can be found at:

Front - http://www.arnottindustries.com/file.as ... Size=SMALL

Rear - http://www.arnottindustries.com/file.as ... Size=SMALL

As for the installation, I didn't do anything different to the stock Air Spring installation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts