RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have bought a secondhad dog guard for my P38.

It came with two plastic brackets, 4 bolts and 4 top hat sleeve things.

I am guessing that its necessary to make holes in the roof lining, but where?

Does anyone have a diagram please?

Manks

·
Registered
78 Posts
My car has blanking caps that I remove to install the dog guard

·
Registered
231 Posts
Brkts

If its the LR unit the slots are almost above the rear seats on both sides. Your rave (look under accessories) should have all the details. If not send me your email and I will send you the reqd pages/info or pics.

rgds

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RRDude

No mention at all of Dog Guard on RAVE CD for some reason - which surprises me.

I have PMd you, would you be kind enough to email me the necessary pages please? I'd be very grateful.

Manks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay seems that RRdude is out of action somewhere.

Would anyone else be kind enough to see if the dog guard fitting appears on their RAVE CD please? Its definitely not on mine.

Manks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Guard

Hi Guys

Yes, it is NOT in the guide...bummer...I was pretty certain I looked it up..must have been elsewhere. I will check with dealer on wed when I go there in case this is not resolved by then.

There is sufficient info over here for you to find the exact location.
http://www.rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/dogguard.html

You can see exactly where the 'holes' need to be made for the rivnuts as the top of the trim edge can be seen to help you line up. Best not to cut it like in the pic to start off with but to make a small "cross" slit if you know what I mean. This will allow u to 'probe' for the exact location...

If you need more pics I can get some for you as well...let me know.

Apologies for delay in getting back to you.

HTH

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RRdude

No probs. That's helpful actually as I now know where the holes go roughly. Should work it out OK I'd hope.

Manks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RRdude

If you were able to give me a couple of measurements that would be good - if you have a dog guard in your car that is. I can probably guess by looking at the pictures you linked to, but attaccking my RR with a knife without exact measurements does scare me somewhat.

Manks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pics

Prob be the next weekend b4 I can get pics...beast is away. I will also take some measurements.

You should also be able to remove beading and have a looksie..let me investigate other beast this weekend when I get a mo, and get back 2 u. I did all this when installing screen but it was a fe yrs ago and mem is hazy ... 2 many guiness ...been looking for that stake at the bottom of every guiness :)

EDIT:
Cannot do better than Kevins Pics !! These show exactly where it is in relation to trim...etc.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RRDude

Don't worry, I'll have a look see. Are we SURE that there will be fixing brackets behind there if I start cutting holes? :?:

Manks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These aluminium "rivnuts" will they mushroom sufficiently just by tightening them up, or will I need a special tool to install them?

·
Registered
78 Posts
@Manks, sorry about not geting back to you untill now. Mine look excatly like Kevin Kellys when I take the dog guard off but I also have little blanks that cover the bottom of the bracket so that when the guard is off the brackets look like a kind of box sticking out of the roof (sorry but that's the best way that I can discribe it) :roll:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
So I am resurecting something from the archives here. I have looked at the directions on the home page. I have the factory install kit. However I will be damned if I can figure out what holds the dang nuts in the roof! Is there some kind of special tool that snaps these riv-nut things in place? Please help enlighten a moron, send your information donations below!

·
Registered
6 Posts
rivnuts

The rivnuts are tough to deal with. They will not tighten on their own, and you need a metric tool to compress them with. I tried pulling nuts against the tool to no avail. Ended up ordering a tool online. Otherwise, the installation is not too bad, after you get over cutting the headliner with an exacto or the like.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why don't you save the time and money and just train your dog to stay in the back? It's really easy, just correct him everytime he tries to climb over. its that easy... My dog goes everywhere with me and he would never think about coming over the seat from the back unless I tell him to.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,383 Posts
link80Reid said:
Why don't you save the time and money and just train your dog to stay in the back? It's really easy, just correct him everytime he tries to climb over. its that easy... My dog goes everywhere with me and he would never think about coming over the seat from the back unless I tell him to.
Regrettably, in an accident, they don't have a lot of choice.

Ron

1 - 20 of 54 Posts