RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death all over the internet and I am sure everyone has their own opinion on it.

I always rolled my eyes at people that claimed "X gas works the best" and now I guessed I'm part of that group....for me I just notice Shell gas works best...maybe it's in my head:roll:

A lot of people claim gas is gas and it's usually the same gas truck that delivers gas to multiple different gas stations in town; but I've read on consumer reports that "top tier gas" is different, and I always tend to get gas from one of these top tier stations (exxon, bp, shell, etc.).

I always get premium gas. BP was my go to, surprisingly it was cheapest in town (even cheaper than Kroger premium in town), but the BP recently closed. There is a Shell station, and besides the Kroger it's the second cheapest in town and I love Shell gas, but it's 3-4 miles on the other side of town that I don't ever go to. There are a couple of other top tier gases on roads I drive on but more expensive, but I am thinking of just using the Kroger premium gas and with my Kroger grocers, I usually save 40 cents a gallon. It's a 93 grade (there are some non-national gases in town who's premium is only a 92 grade).

Am I fine with the 93 grade Kroger? Or should I stick to premium from top tier gas (exxon, shell, chevron, etc.) only?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Top Tier gasoline’s have specific detergents in them. It’s worth the extra cost to run high quality gas in these expensive engines. A lawn mower won’t care what additives have been added to the gasoline is uses, but on a RR engine I would definitely stick with the highest quality you can get. It probably wouldn’t hurt to use Kroger gas every so often though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
There's a ton of awesome undercover stories that local news stations across the U.S. did on this. They tested all the different gasolines at all different major brands. They took 1 gallon samples from all different stations across the USA and boiled them down to find out which brands had the most detergents/additives (the things that make the gasoline burn cleaner/better for your engine).

Shell was consistently the ONLY gasoline that had like 30x the additives/detergents vs the other brands, which in the long run WILL actually help keep your engine cleaner/run better. Shell V-power is the only gas I run in my truck now.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
it's in your head. :lol:

Most of the gas stations around here all get their fuel from the Anacortes refinery. Tankers have multiple sections and will delivery fuel to BP, Chevron and Safeway all in one run. Each section has the order for each store and their formula. so if a tanker is delivering premium fuel to three stores then each compartment will have the same identical base premium fuel. Each compartment then gets the tag line additives that each brand advertises. In the end, all premium graded octane fuel meets the same requirements in every gas station.

The top tier label just means there are certain cleaners added to the fuel to meet the marketing requirements for some auto makers. BTW, Land Rover is not one of the nine manufacturers that recognize the "top tier" marketing program. Land Rover simply recommends the use of Premium grade fuel where available. Land Rover does not and can not recommend "Top Tier" fuels as it is not part of the marketing program.

If you are out of a region that carries premium... say a cross country road trip through BFE, any unleaded will suffice and the ECU will adjust timing for the lower octane.

Worry more about grade than the top tier labeling. Chance are however that your are buying top tier fuel anyway. Yes, Even Costco and the Kroeger family of stores are top tier certified at their stations. That includes Fred Meyer, Safeway, QFC, Dillons, Ralph's, Smiths and I believe Metro Market that I know of. I'm sure they have other holdings in different regions. BP, the few that are left around here, are still top tier fueled. BP traded with another company in this region many years ago but still have a few indies due to our proximity to Canada chain of stations and they maintain the same branded standards. The stations to avoid would be independent, one off stations in rural locations... or... no offence to anyone... reservation fuel stations that are not chain branded. Our local reservation station is a full Chevron, top tier fueled location that happens to be on a reservation. Their fuel comes from the refinery about 7 miles away in the same tankers that deliver to Shell, Safeway and Fred Meyer.

We have non branded stations on the various reservations that still have to meet the federal fuel requirements for each grade, but the stations only have to meet minimal EPA standards so you never know what is lurking in the tanks, they usually do not have water filtration like chain stores and reservation store do not have to have the updated tanks tht the federal government requires of non reservation locations.... so sediment, rust and leaks are all possible issues with older indie locations.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm not sure about the gas...but there are definitely stations you should avoid.

The large, name brand stations, like QT, Valero, Shell, etc. get there gas directly from the refinery and take care of their equipment. Other stations, like 7/11, buy whatever they can get from wherever it is cheapest and look at their equipment as "buy and forget" items.

On 3 separate occasions I have gotten tanks of bad gas. Because it doesn't hit immediately, it is often very hard to diagnose. If it is water, it doesn't show up in a filter either. On all three occasions I dumped several hundred to over $1000 trying to get the cars running again...only to find it was the gas. By the way...2 of these incidents were Texaco station gas...which I used to think was "name brand". Apparently not.

·
Registered
102 Posts
what about the low or non ethanol premium fuels u can buy at some stations
are there advantage or disadvantages to running it a rover?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Boutique fuels are for specialty vehicles and a waste of money in our Rovers. Our Rovers are design to run on general fuels that run up to 10% ethanol depending on the time of year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the UK, there is definitely a difference. Diesels tend to run better on the premium fuels. I have a Lotus Carlton and it dumps boost if I run it on anything other than Shell V Power. Even if I try other premium fuels it doesn't run as well.

That said, if you are driving an every day family car, most of the time you wont notice (may need to clean the injectors periodically tho). My Volvo XC90 T6 runs on LPG, so when you run on cheap supermarket petrol you don't notice. .If your car is high performance, you probably will notice.

This is just my opinion and trust me, I don't like spending more than I need to!

Rob

·
Registered
865 Posts
what about the low or non ethanol premium fuels u can buy at some stations
are there advantage or disadvantages to running it a rover?

If you live where you can still get non-ethanol fuel, then by all means use it!!! Ethanol is entirely a clean air thing. It does nothing good for a car, though, but corrode the rubber and metal parts and reduces your gas mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts