RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi alll,
first post here. just got a 2003 range rover 2 weeks ago and learning alot about the car. it drives nice and all but got a few issues i need help with. 3 things in particular.

First of all, the lcd display is gone...it shows partially but the pixels are dead for the most part and reading the message, mileage etc is hard. I am looking to buy a new cluster but have searched for 2 weeks now everywhere for a removal process of the 2003 range rover instrument cluster. shockingly, i have not found a single thread on the entire world wide web detailing this info. Please help if u can.

Secondly, a week into owning the car, i get the air suspension inactive+hdc inactive message. it does not say +max35mph so am guessing its nothing crazy (yet). iread on here about the battery sometimes shooting the low voltage out and resulting in this, so i tried the "turn your steering to the left and right thing while in park" but it didnt work. so that makes be believe its not the battery(not sure though). i read it could be the height sensor cos of the cold.....
The car drives totally fine but suspension is stuck at normal height and lowering or raising to next level is disabled. The message used to be intermittent but now it is there on startup. If it matters, it has been really cold here since i got her. I read somewhere that the cold sometimes causes this message to showup. I just dont want to go to the dealer to get ripped off on parts that dont need to be replaced.

Thirdly, i noticed the suspension now makes a noise (not exactly hissing but like air being released from a baloon kinda sound) when lowering and adjusting itself when the car is shut off. is this normal? could it be the cold affect the suspension airbags or is it an indication of a leak? also, is the car suppoosed to lower and adjust itself when parked and shut off? is there supposed to be a noise?

if it helps, i also noticed that the height of the car in the morning is exactly as i leave at night. there is no sag in any of the four corners (llike a dog peeing), doesn't that indicate the suspension airbags are fine? if there was a leak, would it not sag in the corner the leak is at?
Am think all this might go away when the warm weather comes but will like to be enlightened by people who have knowledge about this car.
I like it and would like to enjoy it but am not looking for it to become a moneypit.i am looking to get a diagnostic check but thought i should see what experienced owners have to say first.

THanks all in advance. hopefully, i should

olddog

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
First of all, you didnt try hard enough: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=dead+pixel&fid%5B%5D=2 There is a guy on eBay that repaires them in the UK, I'm sure there must be similar in the US as this is a standard BMW issue.

Secondly, if in doubt change the battery, or at least get it tested. Or take it to the dealer and get them to give you the fault code, alternatively buy one of these to save you future dealer trips and whenever you get an eas fault you'll be avle to check it. I have one and can't reccomend it highly enough! http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=77

And Thirdly, yes a hiss is normal when the susp lowers or levels. this is the air exhausting from the system.

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....
i checked the battery voltge and its 12.4 , and with the car running its 13.4. i heard its supposed to be around 14.4 when car is on. does this make a lot of difference.
in reghards to the dead pixel, i dont mind fixing it but my issue is how to remove it. i searched and searched with no success.
i will probably invest in one of those EAS things since i plan on owning a few range rovers.
in the meantime, i think i will just got get a diagnostic check at the dealer to find out whats setting of the lights.
any other info is greatly appreciated..
thanks
olddog

·
Registered
690 Posts
And fourthly, although there is some thread somewhere about some fault that more often appears in cold weather, ( I can't for the life of me remember what it is, maybe the air compressor for the suspension) all I can say is it hasn't happened to me in four Canadian winters.

The only fault I notice that is specifically due to the cold weather is that the rear hatch shocks which hold the rear hatch open don't hold it up when it is really cold. I have had them replaced twice but even a new one doesn't work when the temperature is below about -15 Celsius, and if not careful one gets one's head banged when loading skis into the back, for example.
It is true that I have the ladder attached to the hatch but that is a Land Rover part and so the shocks should have been calculated to take the additional weight of the ladder and also a bit of snow and ice from time to time.
That is the only inadequate thing I can think of due to cold weather.
Oh, and the other thing is that the way the Land Rover mud guards are designed they collect the snow on the highway so much that when the snow is sticky ( not when its really cold) it builds up so much you can actually feel it rubbing the wheel.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
To elaborate on the cold weather....

Cold does not stop air susp' from working, that's the benefit of running air. However, if you get any water in the system this can freeze. It can freeze in the air lines stopping one corner from going up or down, it can also freeze in the valve block, compressor itself or in the cross link valves.

The system incorporates a "dryer" filled with desiccant. This is a very important part that is often overlooked by the dealers when they are charging hundreds to replace other parts. When the air is drawn in it passes through the dryer to dry the air, when the susp lowers it blows it out through the dryer which spits out any moisture. If the dryer is saturated for any reason, it won't be able to self dry and will need replacing.

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
figured i would update this thread just in case anyone was interested or in a similar situation.
i took the car to Nim at NV auto customs in markham (very nice guy. seesm to know his stuff very much).
had the car for one evening....found out that the abs sensor tip was corroded and setting of the abs light which in turn was as a preventive measure disabling the air suspension and dsc.
cleaned the corrosion...lights disappeared.
will test the car for a few days to make it stays that way...

olddog

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
The ABS and the EAS systems are very closely interlinked. The EAS relies on the ABS for vehicle speed information. The ABS uses the wheel speed sensors for vehicle speed information. So, any loss in functionailty of the ABS system usually results in the EAS going into "Soft Fault" mode and locking the suspension out at a high setting. As long as the EAS computer can maintain height and knows the suspension height, you will usually go into "Soft Fault" mode. If the EAS computer looses information about a non-mission critical sensor input, like vehicle speed, it goes into "Soft Fault". If the EAS computer looses contact with mission critical sensors such as height sensors then you get locked down on the bump stops in "Hard Fault".

Yes cold weather effects the Land Rover vehicles very significantly. Leaks and Squeaks cause havoc in all sorts of different systems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All,

I followed this blog and have the exact same issues with 2003 HSE. Went through High Snow but the EAS worked well after that. I changed my front brakes recently and had no problems with ABS or EAS for 2 weeks after.

Then, Leaving the store on 27 degree day, "Air Susp Inactive" appeared. One thing I noticed during the front brakes, there is only one ABS sensor (Driver Side). Is that normal? Even if it is not, why would the EAS work and then stop.

So I will begin the methodical diagnosis with checking the simplest and least costly solutions
- confirm battery power, fuse 57...
- I look to you folks for guidance. Is there a way to confirm the compressor is functioning? I.e jump from the battery?

I have a service manual and will review. If I can get anyone else input and a "if I were in your shoes approach..." I really appreciate it. I have an 86 1/2 porshe so I know the need to "repair for yourself" approach. Thanks guys / gals.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts