Range Rovers Forum banner

Does the 100kMile Warranty add to resale value?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Jaguar27 
#1 ·
Hey all, looking at buying the additional warranty from Land Rover to warranty my car to 100k Miles. Was wondering if this will add to the value of my car if I try to sell the car at say 75,000 miles?

#2 ·
Good question.

I would say that it will matter to some degree, but not sure that you would get a huge investment back, especially if you trade-in on another vehicle. If you sell your RRS on the private market then it will definitely be a selling point. That is probably where you will benefit the most. The one thing that I noticed in the Washington DC area is that a lot of people buy older prior-gen Range Rovers regardless of mileage just to get into the brand. They are looking more at the price than they are the mileage or warranty. Their goal is just to get into something with Range Rover stamped on the hood.

In the end, yes it might matter to some but personally I would save my money. I tend not to buy into these extended warranties until I have to do it. They quotes me $4100 the other day for one that wouldn't kick in for 3 years. Heck, there is a lot that can happen to a vehicle in that time span. But, if you do plan to drive the wheels off of it then it might be worth it for your own piece of mind. I certainly wouldn't want to own one of these things outside of a warranty.

Since the L494 is new to all of us, nobody can say for sure how these things will age 5 or 6 years down the pike. It will be interesting. The big issues will mostly be electronics and the air suspension. The engines are rock-solid but all of the electronic gadgety is going to be the headache. Air suspensions also get fussy with age. I had issues with the AirMatics on several of my older MBs at $3500 a shock/strut. Outside of a warranty is risky business.

I probably talked around in a circle and didn't make much sense...its late, jetlag.

#3 ·
It's clear the resale value of the RRS drops after 50k because of loss of the original warranty. It stands to reason then that having an extended warranty will improve the value of the used vehicle. How much a dealer will take that into account in a trade in is probably low but a private buyer would likely take that in mind when comparing your vehicle to another similar age and mileage.

I bought the extended warranty at purchase to get to 6 years 100k because I agree I don't really want to keep this vehicle outside of warranty. However, I may drive it past 100k with the willingness to get rid of it if any costly repairs come up.

#4 ·
I purchased the extended warranty on my prior RR, and when we traded in they gave us a refund on the time left on the extended warranty to the tune of about $1500. Might have been more, can't remember. But either way, it will depend on the situation, it doesn't appear there is a hard and fast guideline for it... yet.

#9 ·
Biggest thing that is killing me is these doggon squeaks and rattles that keep popping up. The dealer is mostly stump d when they come up and I'm really shocked that at 10,000 miles this car has more squeaks and rattles than my 6 year old Prius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Only ones i remember are for door speaker baffles and a thud with the gas tank. Others may chime in with more. Numbers can be found in the forums if you look hard enough, they haven't been bumped in a while.

#15 ·
Having an extended warranty should help to sell a Range Rover if you're trying to sell to a private party, normally if you're trading it in at a Dealer it won't make any difference because they will want to make money on selling an extended warranty to the next Owner, or if it's the right car and meets all the criteria they will CPO it, which has an extended warranty attached.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.