RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you install the factory trailer wiring kit (for the rear of the vehicle, the one behind LH tail light) and use the plug-and-play connector for the electric brake controller under the driver footwell area, will the vehicle modulate trailer brakes in conjunction with the ABS system? Are any dynamic/traction programs connected to it?

I've had the wiring kit installed for a while (when towing the boat) but I'm about to buy a brake controller today so I can also tow a horse trailer around - just got me thinking about it (since I know the new superduty fords have this feature - I think it's more anti-jackknife though).

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
285 Posts
Re: Does OEM trailer wiring/brake kit interact with ABS system?

In terms of Electric Brakes, this is not possible. The harness is only really supplying power, brake activation line, and a route back to the trailer connector. The controller supplies varying amount of voltage to the trailer brakes, but does not have any way of doing anything else.

To do this would require sensors on the trailer wheels to detect wheel rpm. The brake controllers only use momentum as the guage in terms of applying more voltage.

Also, make sure you don't cheap out on a controller. The mounting options under the steering wheel means the unit is not flat, so you need one that can be mounted at odd angles. I got a Prodigy 2 for my travel trailer, and it worked pretty well. Just order the FORD connector, and its plug-and-play (at least on mine).

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

In terms of Electric Brakes, this is not possible. The harness is only really supplying power, brake activation line, and a route back to the trailer connector. The controller supplies varying amount of voltage to the trailer brakes, but does not have any way of doing anything else.

To do this would require sensors on the trailer wheels to detect wheel rpm. The brake controllers only use momentum as the guage in terms of applying more voltage.

Also, make sure you don't cheap out on a controller. The mounting options under the steering wheel means the unit is not flat, so you need one that can be mounted at odd angles. I got a Prodigy 2 for my travel trailer, and it worked pretty well. Just order the FORD connector, and its plug-and-play (at least on mine).
Thanks for the info - I'm not sure all of it is 100% correct however since many of the new full-size trucks do indeed feature ABS-controlled electric trailer brake outputs.

I figured since the front harness and rear harness are actually integrated through the body/chassis control modules of the vehicle, it would be very easy to intercept the output signal to the rear harness and control modulation if lock-up of the RRS wheels was detected.

One exception (and maybe what you were talking about) is that without the actual trailer brake control being monitored by the RRS, it wouldn't know exactly what was going on (since the truck controllers are integrated) BUT since the signal ultimately passes back through the vehicle electrics after the controller anyways, it's still possible to interrupt (since it's just a varying voltage up to 12 obviously). But still none of those new trucks have any kind of return signal for trailer monitoring or wheel speed sensors.

We are on the same page about the controllers for sure - I've towed with many systems on diesels and other rigs but this is just the first time w/ electrics on the RRS. The Tekonsha/Prodigy line is awesome and the other cheapo time-based units suck.

I'm looking at the P2 as you mentioned already, but the P3 has some crazy bells and whistles - too bad I'd never use them. I do like the auto-calibration feature and yeah, it gives me a little more flexibility for mounting WHICH IS GOING TO SUCK either way. Where the ***k am I going to put this thing lol. I LIKE having access to the emergency gain feature since I've had to use this on hills on other rigs when the front brakes started overheating (huge 36' 4 horse with living quarters, F350 6.0) the footwell is so low it would be tough to reach down there.

One more thing - do you know if the RRS trailer harness supplies 12v+ to the Aux pin of the RV-style plug? I know many trucks require you hooking this up manually but I think I recall there being a trailer fuse (or multiple) which would seem to indicate that possibility. The horse trailers rely on that so it would be really nice! I guess I can just run out there with a meter.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
285 Posts

I can't answer about the 12v output. I'm inclined to believe there is because my house batteries charge some during a drive.

As for ABS, I have my doubts anyone would put a cut-off on the brake power supply line. I can't think of any situation where letting the trailer overun the tow vehicle does any good, and would be ripe for a lawsuit if it was proved that a jack-knife occured because of it. The basic safety process behind a brake system is to apply full trailer brakes if anything is disconnected between the tow vehicle and trailer.

On my new Ford F-150 (w Max Tow Pkg), there is an integrated electric brake controller. The basic interaction of its trailer sway control and brake controller is to applyl brake power to the trailer during sway conditions, even if the tow vehicle is NOT applying brake pressure. This helps to straighten out the oscillation that may be occuring.

I would be very surprised to find that any ABS and tow system with a third party brake controller is doing anything other than sway control (at the most).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts