RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Range Rover CODE READER in Bellevue/Seattle?

If anyone has a code reader, I would love to drive over, give you $20 and have a beer while checking my Range Rover codes. I have the "air susp. inactive" light on. I would like to fix this myself, but I am not sure where to start without grabbing the codes.

Let me kow. Thanks!

04 Range Rover HSE

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Re: Does anyone have a Range Rover CODE READER in Bellevue/Seattle?

There are numerous affordable code readers for our rigs out there.
RSW Solutions, GAP Diagnostics, Blackbox Solutions. Take yer pick.
Then, you wont be panicking next time you need it.

Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Not ready to purchase one yet, but am still looking for someone in the area that can run codes for me. There is a $20 bill and a six-pack of you favorite beer in the deal :) Let me know!

·
Registered
154 Posts

You may want to research the scanners.
I haven't tried all of the LR specific code readers but everyone that I've seen is VIN specific, to prevent guys from offering $20 and some beer for a scan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You may want to research the scanners.
I haven't tried all of the LR specific code readers but everyone that I've seen is VIN specific, to prevent guys from offering $20 and some beer for a scan.
Land Rover code readers can be plugged into a number of different Rovers and read codes....

I am still looking for someone in the area that might be able to lend a hand.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
154 Posts

Nottirange
I'm more then interested in the scanner that you've seen that can be used between LR vehicles.
There are obviously the generic OBD scanners, but a scanner that can reset suspension errors on multiple vehicles would make me very popular. Please share what you've found

Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,219 Posts
The free RSW solutions EAS unlock software is one that will work on any P38 for the EAS system.

Blackbox Nanocom will work on P38s - you have unlock codes for the modules which are licenced for the device. You get all the body modules and the choice of engine management system. You can then optionally purchase other engine management systems, to give full P38 module support. These units aren't locked to any specific vehicle.

The Faultmate units can either be bought with single vehicle usage or multi-vehicle usage.

As far as I know, LR testbook and autologic systems are licenced for multiple vehicles (these are more dealer level diagnostics though)

I'm not sure about licencing (if any) for Hawkeye products.

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
38 Posts

The RSW plug will read and clear EAS and ABS fault codes on almost every 03-04 Rover, it is not locked to one VIN and can be used on multiple Rovers.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

The RSW plug will read and clear EAS and ABS fault codes on almost every 03-04 Rover, it is not locked to one VIN and can be used on multiple Rovers.
As well as most other systems on a Mk3. I have one, and it is a nice bit of kit. Not near as thorough as the BBS stuff, but the price reflects that.
Could have bought an Allcoms and done it already IMHO.
Offering someone $20 and some beer is hardly worth the trip in my book.
Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Offering someone $20 and some beer is hardly worth the trip in my book.
Martin
What do you mean by this? I would be the one making the trip. I am not asking anyone to come to me. Is that what it sounds like?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

What do you mean by this? I would be the one making the trip. I am not asking anyone to come to me. Is that what it sounds like?
Did to me yes.
Honestly though, the sooner you buy the right tool for the job, the sooner it will pay for itself. Even $20-30 adds up after a few times of needing a reset etc.

Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Totally agree with you, and I am planning to purchase one this week. I already made a few offers to a few sellers to try and snag one. But to me, it is worth driving over to someones place, paying $20 and a six pack and getting the fault cleared right away, then I don't have to wait until the code reader comes in the mail :) I just like to know I fixed the issue now, instead of waiting for the code reader to arrive in the mail. And hey, having a beer and talking with another Range Rover fan doesn't sound bad to me.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Clearing the "code" dosent fix the problem and it would probably just appear again on your drive home!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Clearing the "code" dosent fix the problem and it would probably just appear again on your drive home!
I want to clear the code because I just replaced the air compressor, so clearing the code will tell me if that fixed the problem.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

If you are thinking that you replaced the bad part, and need a code clearing, then I kind of understand I guess.
I remember when the only way to clear an EAS code from a P38 was to remove the ECM and mail it to the likes of Dennis etc! Bad old days indeed.....

Martin

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts

I have sat back watching all of this dragged out for way too many weeks and finally am goinna voice an opinion. Tossing parts at an unknown error code is simply foolish. Why did you replace your compressor? Was it a random guess? If the compressor actually was weak or failed did you fix the root issue as to why the compressor was weak?

You've how been at this a month and still have no idea what the actual code is or if the compressor was actually in need of replacement. Now I will conceed that I am strictly going on vaugue information here and there is likely alot of information left out of the process. However I can definately say there is no way I would have driven around or parked my rig for a month hoping to bribe someone with beer and a Jackson when I could have had equipment delivered in 1/4 of that time.

We have folks with Classics, P38s, Mark IIIs and now even Sports posting EAS issues as their rigs age and folks tossing parts at their issues and then returning to complain about crappy LR quality when their parts fail again because they didn;t fix the root issue. Please people, always READ your codes, research and get to the root of the error. As mentioned above, clearing a code does not fix the issue. Tossing parts on your rig often does not take care of it either.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

Where's the "Like" button?
Well said Carl.

Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Absolutely no reason to make assumptions and then bash me. I am not running around telling people Rovers are low quality because I am having a small issue. I love my MKIII Rover and I loved my previous 2 P38s, and I loved my classic. I replaced my compressor because when I looked back there it had been exposed to a water leak and rusted to ****. In my opinion it needed to be replaced no matter what the code reads. I wasn't in a hurry to read the code before, so I have taken my time looking for a good deal on a code reader, but now that I replaced the compressor, it would be nice to know if my suspension will work great after the code is clear. I will still read the code and look over the system and make sure everything is working well so I don't ruin the new compressor, but it is possible the issue was a rear leaking tail gate, which I repaired, which caused the compressor to rust and **** out. I appreciate the help on this forum, and hope to be able to help others at some point. But I don't appreciate being bashed on your assumptions before talking with me.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts

Woah there guy. I did not bash you, I voiced an opinion that this has gone on far longer than most folks would take.

BTW, I never said that YOU were bashing LR products. Please do not read things in to postings that simply are not there.

·
Registered
931 Posts

If you had bothered to post the information initially that has come out during your responses to members posts,then you would have got more informative answers.No one can read your mind.I am sure you have a clear picture of what you wish to achieve ,but you sure left us guessing.:shock:`)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts