RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Re: Do MY18 Vehicles has LTE

If you change your SIM card you can get 4G as others have done... Search is your friend. LTE is even slower than the 3G.

·
Registered
623 Posts

LTE is slower than 3G ???
Verizon 4G LTE wireless broadband is 10 times faster than 3G—able to handle download speeds between 5 and 12 Mbps (Megabits per second) and upload speeds between 2 and 5 Mbps, with peak download speeds approaching 50 Mbps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
LTE is slower than 3G ???
Verizon 4G LTE wireless broadband is 10 times faster than 3G—able to handle download speeds between 5 and 12 Mbps (Megabits per second) and upload speeds between 2 and 5 Mbps, with peak download speeds approaching 50 Mbps.
For the guy who didn’t search

If I get a SIM from Verizon attached to my account I can plug it in and have coverage in Car ?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts

LTE is absolutely miserable in my area. It is painfully slow, calls are dropped, pages only partially load when browsing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 has 4G LTE. I didn't use the AT&T 3 month free subscription hat came with the car. I activated a data SIM from T-Mobile

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just picked up my V8 today and I specifically asked the salesperson about this, he told me only AT&T since Land Rover has an exclusive agreement with AT&T. Guess I will find out in 3 months after the trial ends and I pop in a T-Mobile SIM.

·
Registered
623 Posts
not sure on the '18's - but i took my '17 to verizon to get a sim bc att was not working so good, and verizon said its sim would not work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just picked up my V8 today and I specifically asked the salesperson about this, he told me only AT&T since Land Rover has an exclusive agreement with AT&T. Guess I will find out in 3 months after the trial ends and I pop in a T-Mobile SIM.
Your salesperson is misinformed or may be referring to the 3 free months included when you buy your car. I can assure you that T-Mobile does work I have personal issues with ATT and I rather abandon the cell features in my car than give one more dime to ATT, so first thing I did was install a T-Mobile data SIM card and personal opinions aside it does work flawlessly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I, too, dislike AT&T for their customer service. However, after having looked into purchasing a mobile hotspot data plan from both AT&T and T-Mobile, AT&T is $20/month and T-Mobile is $90/month. These prices are both for 4G LTE up to 22gb and 3G-2G after that allowance. $70 a month difference is a lot to justify bad customer service. I'm thinking I'll stick with AT&T.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your salesperson is misinformed or may be referring to the 3 free months included when you buy your car. I can assure you that T-Mobile does work I have personal issues with ATT and I rather abandon the cell features in my car than give one more dime to ATT, so first thing I did was install a T-Mobile data SIM card and personal opinions aside it does work flawlessly.
That's great to know we got alternative.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I, too, dislike AT&T for their customer service. However, after having looked into purchasing a mobile hotspot data plan from both AT&T and T-Mobile, AT&T is $20/month and T-Mobile is $90/month. These prices are both for 4G LTE up to 22gb and 3G-2G after that allowance. $70 a month difference is a lot to justify bad customer service. I'm thinking I'll stick with AT&T.
You don't need a Hotspot (hotspot is a device you use as a portable WIFI device to connect other mobile devices to the internet), you just need a SIM card with a data plan (same thing you'd buy for a Tablet) In my case, granted I just added the additional SIM to my account I pay $20/month with what Tmobile calls unlimited data which is 50GB of high speed, after that they throttle down the connection speed, ATT does the same but they slow down the connection after 2-25 GB If I am not wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, my vernacular was incorrect. It was just for the SIM card plan. I don't have T-Mobile so it would be a new account. AT&T throttles the connection to 2G after 22gb. T-Mobile sounds like the way to go if you are already a customer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I’ve been working on this for a few days. Thought I’d share where I am at so people don’t make the same mistake.

I called ATT Connected Car. First guy said I had an old SIM that wasn’t 4G compatible. I needed a new one from the dealer. Dealer says no.

I call Connected Car back and request them to send a new SIM. They say they cannot do that because the SIMs are specific to the vehicle, not standard and the generic ones won’t work. So, I got a new micro SIM from AT&T store. Activated it on a data plan and plugged it in the vehicle. It worked fine but because it was activated on a 3G iPad, it only was on a 3G plan. Doh. So I pull the SIM from my 4G iPad and plug it in the car....it never registers and just says “reading SIM” endlessly. I give up and put the original LR SIM back in....and it says “SIM NOT SUPPORTED”.

AT&T connected car group is a complete joke. They have no idea and the supervisor called me a liar when I said that the TMobile SIMs worked just fine. He got angry with me and eventually cut me off. Joys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
"reading SIM" and "unsupported SIM" are standard error messages of the system.
Stopping and starting the vehicle fixes them (as long as the card is OK). I get these every few days, too. I pull over, think long and hard about the family tree of Land Rover software engineering team members, restart the car, it's all good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts