RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since these cars always have something unique about them, is there anything that I should know about when I tow anything? Nothing heavy, maybe a car or some snowmobiles every once in a while? I was reading that I should have it in SPORT mode when towing?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Re: Do I need to know anything special when towing a trailer?

I leave it in sport, and adjust the trailer brakes so they feel right for the load.

Martin

·
Registered
120 Posts

The only unique thing in this case is just how good they are at towing :thumb:
Only truck out there with a pick up hitch :p

·
Registered
276 Posts

You just shouldn't use sport mode while driving with cruise control, I don't know why, but the handbook says "don't do it".

Sigi

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts

When I am towing, the cruise is the last thing on my mind :lol:
Poor old girl is having a harder time towing the weight these days with over 192000 miles on her. Still does it, but with a little more down shifting when pulling the Jeep on the car trailer. With the jet ski's though, she still does OK.

Martin

·
Registered
541 Posts

You tow an XJ with your RR?

Perhaps yours is rated differently. My 96 SE has a towing rating of 1650lbs according to the handbook and a tongue wt max of 500lbs.

I have a ZJ on 33's but wouldn't attempt towing it with the RR....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Chris X said:
You tow an XJ with your RR?

Perhaps yours is rated differently. My 96 SE has a towing rating of 1650lbs according to the handbook and a tongue wt max of 500lbs.

Note that the 1650 rating is without trailer brakes. With brakes it goes up to 6500 lbs. This is a matter of safety, no vehicles are designed to stop all that extra weight and if they were, it would still be unsafe to have a trailer that heavy w/o brakes. I have towed with both my old '95 4.0 and newer '99 4.6. They are so much better than towing with something like a Ford F-250 that you can't even compare. Sure they don't exactly set acceleration records in the process but once going are extremely stable. I do like to keep the trans in Sport so it doesn't lug the engine over ant hills. The trailer light diagnostics is also pretty cool when you use the proper wiring kit. My trailer is nearly 2000 lbs empty and I have pulled up to 5,000 lbs with it with complete confidence.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Are you on coils or EAS?

·
Registered
234 Posts

NorCal RR said:
The trailer light diagnostics is also pretty cool when you use the proper wiring kit.
I have to agree this is a really great feature. I trailer boats regularly and water ingress causes the lights to fail. Its not easy to see if the lights are working and they do fail at 2 am after driving for many hours. Besides the safety issue it also saves being pulled over by the police.

I recommend carrying a spare set of lights with their own wiring and some tape. Its cheap insurance, just slap them on rather then trying to find the broken cable, replace a bulb ect. If the trailer lights fail at night the police will ask you to take it off the road and your stuck till morning.

·
Registered
269 Posts

I'm sure I recall somthing in the owners hand book about using the suspention inhibit switch (I think this is the official manual term) to keep the car from changing heights whilst towing.

Although this won't apply to most people on this forum, but worth a mention anyway, if your in the UK and you passed your car driving test after 1997 you'll probably find your not qualified to tow anything heavier than 750kg. Unless you pass a B+E test.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Roverrad95 said:
Are you on coils or EAS?
EAS with OEM bags and its great when towing. It keeps you level after hitching up and I think maintaining a level vehicle is part of what makes it a good tow vehicle. Of course exceeding the reasonable tongue weight would be hard on the rear bags but its hard on conventional springs too.

·
Registered
86 Posts

The manual tells you to keep it in in standard height mode and lock it so it wont want to lower at highway speeds...I towed a '68 Torino on one of those Uhaul car transporters back from Chicago and had no problems what so ever..A pettty pleasant ride and at 70 too...I was suprised I couldnt feel the rover being "pushed "by the weight I was towing...In the city, I kept it in 3rd, but interstae travel, "D" was used...But, I'm sure I was at the max limit...Anything less,(boat, atvs, sleds), should be a piece of cake...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts

Question to NAS hitch setup users :

What ball mount setup do you use? I mean what drop ? 2, 4, 6 or 8 inches

I ordered that today :

Convert-A-Ball Cushioned Ball Mounts with 8 inches drop.
Maybe 8 inches drop is too much but i may sell it back to a lifted H2 owner.

http://www.convert-a-ball.com/ballmounts.htm

·
Registered
276 Posts

Tango said:
I'm sure I recall somthing in the owners hand book about using the suspention inhibit switch (I think this is the official manual term) to keep the car from changing heights whilst towing.

Although this won't apply to most people on this forum, but worth a mention anyway, if your in the UK and you passed your car driving test after 1997 you'll probably find your not qualified to tow anything heavier than 750kg. Unless you pass a B+E test.
Although I use it very often while towing, I forgot about the inhibit switch, good point!
You might want to look at the trailer, whether it's more level with the suspension in normal or highway height, and lock it there.
Especially if the trailer has more than one axle.

Tango, it isn't this easy, thanks to the european union :doh:.
I have given up explaining it to anyone, no normal person is able to understand this without reading the explanation about 10-20 times (I read the already dumbed down explanation on the german Wikipedia multiple times a day for a week until I finally got it and could remember it).
Long story short, some trailers with more than 750 kg are legal with a "B" license...

Sigi

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts

996TURBO said:
Question to NAS hitch setup users :

What ball mount setup do you use? I mean what drop ? 2, 4, 6 or 8 inches

I ordered that today :

Convert-A-Ball Cushioned Ball Mounts with 8 inches drop.
Maybe 8 inches drop is too much but i may sell it back to a lifted H2 owner.

http://www.convert-a-ball.com/ballmounts.htm
Mine is just straight - no drop what so ever:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts

Mine is @2" drop and I pull either the jet ski's or a 2 axle car trailer with brakes.
I am also on EAS with Arnott bags and KYB shocks. It does a very good job, and the electronic brake controller takes care of the braking.
Mind, I may have a little better idea than the average layman about towing stuff safely...
My "day job"........
[attachment=2:yqg4r48d]generatorweb.jpg[/attachment:yqg4r48d]
Rangey with the jetski's.
Fear not, the EAS isn't level when I took the foto. The EAS makes hooking the trailer a breeze though, no need to crank the handle, just drop the air, go under the tongue, then raise it up :thumb:
[attachment=1:yqg4r48d]rr-and-ski'sweb.jpg[/attachment:yqg4r48d]
No pics of it with the car trailer, but I normally borrow this when we go out of state for a wheeling event.
[attachment=0:yqg4r48d]Jeep-n-truck-web.jpg[/attachment:yqg4r48d]

Martin

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts

8inches drop maybe too much but OEM euro swan neck drops a lot.

See :

Mariner82 P38

·
Registered
541 Posts

NorCal RR said:
[quote="Chris X":2bpsvmfe]You tow an XJ with your RR?

Note that the 1650 rating is without trailer brakes. With brakes it goes up to 6500 lbs. This is a matter of safety, no vehicles are designed to stop all that extra weight and if they were, it would still be unsafe to have a trailer that heavy w/o brakes. I have towed with both my old '95 4.0 and newer '99 4.6. They are so much better than towing with something like a Ford F-250 that you can't even compare. Sure they don't exactly set acceleration records in the process but once going are extremely stable. I do like to keep the trans in Sport so it doesn't lug the engine over ant hills. The trailer light diagnostics is also pretty cool when you use the proper wiring kit. My trailer is nearly 2000 lbs empty and I have pulled up to 5,000 lbs with it with complete confidence.[/quote:2bpsvmfe]

Thanks for clearing that up. That does make sense. I was a little confused why the RR had such a low tow rating, I must have missed the part in the handbook about trailer brakes. I have a 4x8 single axle trailer I usually tow with the ZJ - with the 3" lift and 33's I have to use a 4" drop mount even with a trailer tongue that is a gooseneck style. I've used a 2" drop mount with the RR, however I have the Bilstein setup in place of the EAS. Heaviest thing I usually lug is my quad or a garden tractor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts