RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at a new Range Rover Sport and would like to know how capable they are on steep hills with mud and snow. We have a drive that is about 200 yards long and about a 30% grade. Our Audi hasn’t been able to make it up when it is muddy/snow. We have slick red clay mud. Our Expedition has no problem in 4 Low, and motors right up.
None of the dealers have anything with the off road package, but they all tell me I won’t need it.
what is everyone’s experience with this type of terrain?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Even if you don't need it, terrain response is probably incredibly useful in this scenario and low range would make it actually easy - just like your Expedition. 30% grade is no joke on a slippery surface.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
363 Posts
yes, definitely make sure it has Low Range and Terrain Response.

if you can also get the active rear diff, go for that as well

·
Registered
30 Posts
Definitely go with Terrain Response II. Adding a two speed transfer case, electronically locking front, middle, and rear differentials, etc. is worth it. Separately, 90% of you making it up that hill is your tires and vehicle's torque distribution - if you're already getting a RRS, get one that can do it all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
err, no LR has a locking front diff ;)

well, not yet anyway, although the new Defender is rumoured to have one.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
119 Posts
All of the Range Rover Sports are capable off road but tires make all the difference in the world. Avoid the high performance "summer" tires and go for an All Terrain rated tire (AT) that will work well in snow and off road but still be a decent highway tread for noise and handling. A Light Truck (LT) All Season (AS) with a bit more aggressive tread may also work but if you're expecting meaningful snow and don't want to chance it go right to the ATs. For reference you can see which tires your Expedition has and your dealer can show you what your OEM options are.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Excuse me - Naks is correct. There is no front electronic diff - only a center and rear diff (w/terrain response II). That will teach me not to trust the off-road screen in my RRS that has a little 'lock' symbol over both axles!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts