Range Rovers Forum banner

Should I walk away

Do all L322 need timing chain jobs

8K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Gordo51 
#1 ·
I am about to hand a guy a $19000 check for 2012 white autobiography.. 104000 miles, absolute least flawless interior and exterior.

I have made the mistake the last 2 nights watching videos of Range Rover timing chains, the quickest in easiest way to spend 6 to $7000.

He is only on the car for a year, he is actually done some major work, but not the timing chains most the work I did was covered under AC extended warranty which of course does not cover timing chains.

I feel this is a good price for this car, but not if I have to spend $6000 in 6 months.

Should I walk away?

#3 ·
I would proceed cautiously and plan for it to happen. If it doesn't during your ownership then great but it is very well known to occur. It seems though that at 104k miles it should have shown itself but I am just going off of what I've read and experienced and am not an expert by any means.

My L322 developed it around 77K miles and went to the dealer for the job. All in it was $10,600 for the replacement of the timing chain, guides, tensioners, supercharger isolates pulley, water pump and lastly fuel injectors.

#4 ·
Mine is almost 70k, not been done. I figure it already factored into the price, that's why you can get such a nice and expensive vehicle for that price. Just trying to decide to do tensioners only soon or wait and do the SC snout, chains, phasors, etc. in a another year or two.

#5 ·
I think only 06-09 MY Rovers with AJV8 engines are somewhat immune to timing chain issues. All others pre- and post- will need it done at some point, and that point has a lot to do with oil change intervals and how the car was used. I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

#6 ·
Mine lasted to 200 k miles before i had to do it myself , 6-8 hrs job and done.From what i understand a general rule of thumb is all l322s need the chain changed around 100k mile intervals... im approaching 300k miles and getting ready to do the job again.

#12 ·
I will not mislead you but the evidence is saying the soft metal tabs in the tensioners do wear down promoting chain wear. Your increased maintenance and not stressing the chain will definitely increase the life of your 5 litre. Chain rattle on startup will indicate the beginning of the end.

#13 ·
Welcome to the forum!
... Have you thought of reading the last 17 years worth of posts? Just to catch up maybe?
There are thousands of posts from thousands of forum members with years of experience with our Rovers that have discussed these issues millions (figuratively) of times.

Yes - they do all need timing chain components replaced. Eventually.

#14 ·
I think a graph of some sort would be good to assess risk. I am sure that ambient/climate and use patterns would dictate how the chain system fairs.

For example of 40,000 sold, replacements are 1000 trucks @50K miles, 2000 @100K miles 4000 @150K miles. that sort of thing. It might not be as prevalent as we think, but still bad!

I search craigslist and just in Vancouver you'll have this 1 person who is selling that just did the timing chains and 2 that are selling cause they have to ;)

#15 ·
The all need them at some point
I did our '11 SC myself at @140k miles.
I've also seen first hand the carnage they can cause if done wrong or too worn, and throw the timing out. Last was a motor swap in a '10 LR4.....
The tensioners are the main cause, not the chains per say

Martin

#19 ·
I am about to hand a guy a $19000 check for 2012 white autobiography.. 104000 miles, absolute least flawless interior and exterior. I have made the mistake the last 2 nights watching videos of Range Rover timing chains, the quickest in easiest way to spend 6 to $7000. He is only on the car for a year, he is actually done some major work, but not the timing chains most the work I did was covered under AC extended warranty which of course does not cover timing chains. I feel this is a good price for this car, but not if I have to spend $6000 in 6 months. Should I walk away?
I’D fix it for 3,000 if you could bring the car to Toronto, Canada

#22 ·
Don't have experience with the Jag engines, but a few years ago I inquired here about timing chain guide replacement on the BMW M62 engines. The responses ranged from 105K to 230K miles when replaced, for an average of 170,000 miles when M62 timing chains were replaced. Presumably there's several factors that explain the mileage variances, but safe to say that oil change frequency may be #1.

#27 ·
I am about to hand a guy a $19000 check for 2012 white autobiography.. 104000 miles, absolute least flawless interior and exterior.

I have made the mistake the last 2 nights watching videos of Range Rover timing chains, the quickest in easiest way to spend 6 to $7000.

He is only on the car for a year, he is actually done some major work, but not the timing chains most the work I did was covered under AC extended warranty which of course does not cover timing chains.

I feel this is a good price for this car, but not if I have to spend $6000 in 6 months.

Should I walk away?
**** I got fleeced on mine, then!

$19,000 for 2012 Fuji White Supercharged in 2019. 126k miles. From a Rolls Royce dealer.

No timing chain issues yet now at 185k. But everything else, yeah, lol.

The kicker is the car is visually PERFECT, everything buggy has been electronics-related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.