RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can rent or buy Land Rover special tools in the DFW area? I am trying to change the belts and cannot get the fan out because of the fan pulley.

I have tried several home remedies including making my own special tool, calling area BMW dealers for their tool and checking with Auto Parts stores, but nothing seems to work. Called Dealer, they cannot order special tools 8~

I have found the part LRT-12-215 that holds the pulley on the internet, but thought for sure someone in a large metro-plex would have one around.

:think: Business Opportunity, A DIY garage, for those that want to do it themselves, but don't have room in garage or don't want to offend neighbors or have the right equipment. Stock common and special tools for different makes and model of vehicles with a mechanic on duty to answer common questions.......

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I watched it several times. In the video he says he already loosened the nut, so not sure what he used before hand.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
You do not need the special land rover tool, I know it seems impossible looking at it, but you don't.

What I did was headed to home depot, I picked up a 3' long by 2" wide steel bar, it was 1/4" thick... With a 1/2" drill bit and some cutting lubrication drill a hole in it 2" from a far edge. Don't center the hole, offset it so it's close to the bottom or top edge legnthwise, leaving enough room so the bar doesn't loose strength.

Then fit it over one of the bolts on the water pump pulley, and rest it on the pulley itself, then with an adjustable wrench grab the fan nut, and this point reach up to the tool you just made and hold it steady, now tug the wrench, the nut will come right off... remember it's reverse threaded

Once you get it off the first time, it's no problem, super simple. When you re-fit, lube the threads with anti seize...

If you still have trouble with this post up later tonight, when I get home I can post photos of the tool and how to fit everything, it's really very simple once you do it once, trust me on this.

The key is to find an adjustable wrench low profile enough that will fit over the fan nut while you've also got the home-made tool fit... For me, the wrench I had did not fit, I actually removed a single fan clutch bolt which yielded just enough room to fit both of the tools

hope this helps you

·
Registered
144 Posts
I made a bracket which bolts to the pulley using two of the original 10mm headed bolts and also the allen headed bolt on the waterpump (the one which holds the rigid small bore pipe via a P clip).

(A quick reminder that it's a reverse thread on the fan coupling)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought an open end wrench from Sears for $22, but i am convinced that I could have done it with a pair of channel locks. Mine was NOT on tight at all. Just used a large flathead screwdriver wedged between the pulley to hold it and gave it a quick nudge to the RIGHT, and it broke free. Remember, the nut is BACKWARDS threads.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
He says that he gives the spanner a blow towards the axle which would have it loosen up. It sounds a bit fuzzy though. I am thinking of unscrewing two of the 10mm bolts that hold the pulley and replacing them temporarily with longer ones that hold a bracket or jam against a tool.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
560 Posts
The DIY garage would be a great idea, if people still worked on their own cars. I can not believe how many people now days do not even know how to change a tire, let alone read the manual to find out. Plus you would have to charge somewhere around $75-$100/hr to make it worth wild, and with those prices you can have someone else do the work. Love the idea though!

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
The DIY garage would be a great idea, if people still worked on their own cars. I can not believe how many people now days do not even know how to change a tire, let alone read the manual to find out. Plus you would have to charge somewhere around $75-$100/hr to make it worth wild, and with those prices you can have someone else do the work. Love the idea though!
I couldn't agree more. You know the tyre changing example is so deeply rooted that car makers are completely doing away with spare tyres. Quite frankly I don't even know why owners manuals are even included any longer. No body reads them any way. Then you get people that not only can't change a tail light bulb, they don't even know what to call one to go buy it! I'd say I was amazed people even check their own oil, but we know even that isn't true in many cases. :doh:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Been removing Fan Clutch Nuts on BMW's and Range Rover Classic's for the last 25 years using a hammer and a wrench, somewhat prehistoric I know, but it works. Just make short powerful strokes, remembering it is reverse threaded. I will admit, when I first did this on the LM, it took about 5-10 min to get it off due to the torque that the Land Rover dealer used when tightening it up last time. Since that first time, it comes off with several whacks to the wrench. When you put it back on, just use a couple of light taps, you don't have to torque this down. I have never had a problem of one coming loose ever.

Same Dealer tech must have also tightened the hose clamps on all the heater hoses as they were all deformed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
a quick blip with an air chisel will have it undone in seconds , just remember its l/h thread

1 - 13 of 13 Posts