RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lurked for quite a while here being entertained and educated by many of your guys posts. I've just recently got bit by the mod bug and it seems as if it shall be a long, fun(and expensive) journey. I thought I would include a simple project I experimented with to try to contribute a little bit. I know a lot of you guys have smoked your third brake light but from my understanding it's pretty laborious to remove the upper spoiler to access the lens to be painted or filmed. So I did something that nobody is probably dumb enough to try. I painted it while it was still on the Sport. I can't say I advise doing this at all but I'll try to show you what I did anyway.

Step 1. Clean the area thoroughly with a degreasing agent to remove all dust and debris. Wipe clean.
Step 2. Meticulously use painter's tape to surround the light. Be sure to stick the tape down and into the light to cover all areas not to be painted.
Step 3. I used white garbage bags(to identify overspray) to surround all neighboring areas and used painters tape again making sure to tape down any openings in the bag.
Step 4. Using VHT Nite Shades spray the lens in accordance to the directions on the can. I may have been a bit too liberal in my application.
Step 5. Let dry for 1 hour. Because mine went on so thick the first time I decided not to do a second coat. At this time I applied a layer of Dupli-Color Clear Coat.
Step 6. Wait another hour and apply a second coat of clear coat if you choose.
Step 7. Wait another hour and remove tape and garbage bags.

Overall, if you only include setup and spraying it's a 30 minute project. But it will take about 3 1/2 hours with the time needed to allow the paint to dry. I know this was not a smart way to do this but it worked for me so I thought I'd share. Again the most important step is putting the initial tape on perfectly. I am a complete ant total amateur and apologize if this post seems ridiculous in nature. I'll post more pics of my Sport in a few weeks once the lower trim on the doors and bumpers gets done color coding. Thanks all for your input and advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
385 Posts
Did the same on mine, looks good :thumb:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did the same exact thing on my full size Range Rover. It's really not that hard, and it comes out pretty good! Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Looks like a good job! I would also advise anyone else doing this to do it in a garage; yes you'll get more "vapor" effect, but you'll minimize overspray and any debris flying into your wet application.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Very nice job there...would be nice to see how this looks on a sunny day - may be a nice complement to my smoked rear lenses too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
crsmax said:
Has anyone been able to find a clear 3rd brake light?
the new 2010 model does have clear 3rd brake lights. however, they have been redesigned so i don't think it will fit on the older models.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Question:
1..3rd brake light
2..Salmon
3..Hashish

Answer:
Things you can smoke

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
110 Posts
That's our dose of Jeopardy for the day...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts