RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got sick of kids and wife complaining about the ingress-egress so installed some cheap but great looking running boards off of ebay. Got them for just $240. Installation didnt cost me a dime. I already had a 3 ton jack and used a small crow bar for the plastic pins. Used crappy hand tools... so frame bolts were a bear. It took 4 hours for first side. Only 2 hours for the second side... i guess i got faster. Warning... I am literally the slowest mechanic EVER. And the bottom of a Range Rover is a very complex and scary place.

Video:
https://youtu.be/MTj0APvG7xs

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
Hahaha...I ordered and installed the exact same running boards on Monday! I think they look amazing. Even if they only last a couple of years, I can buy another set and swap them out in 10 minutes now that the mounts are already installed and I will still be in for less than $500. I love them. No more dragging ass over the side of the seats!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
87 Posts
Thanks for posting and creating a video. I haven't received my RRS yet, so I haven't been faced with the Wife and Kids complaining yet. Haha.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Those mounting brackets look very good. Wondering if there is a link for the boards supplier?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hahaha...I ordered and installed the exact same running boards on Monday! I think they look amazing. Even if they only last a couple of years, I can buy another set and swap them out in 10 minutes now that the mounts are already installed and I will still be in for less than $500. I love them. No more dragging ass over the side of the seats!
You're right, those seat side bolsters get destroyed quickly by people putting all their weight on them getting in and out. Back in 2010 when I was looking at used Sports every one I looked at had extremely worn seat sides. I ended up buying a new one and put the steps on and 7 years later the seats looked great. They were a must have for my 2018 SVR. So easy to get in and out especially in tight spaces like my garage. Plus I think the vehicle actually looks better with them and sort of "finished off".

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a great deal. I was about to purchase but noticed

"This part is not compatible with 2018 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic Sport Utility 4-Door 5.0L 5000CC 305Cu. In. V8 GAS DOHC Supercharged."

What am I missing?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Something must have changed in 2017+. I am not an expert on all the tweaks over the years so I someone else will need to chime in. I would think they would all be the same but maybe not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Running Boards arrived. No instructions but quality looks good. There is a sheet of metal press outs that I am assuming are used for spacers? Does anyone have instructions for these boards? The Video explains most about fitting, thanks to the OP , I am just missing a few details .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Weird you don't have instructions. Mine had a set but they were typical chinese garbage. Luckily, install is pretty straight forward. Just watch the video in the first post. Yes, the metal press outs are spacers. They match the mounting feet so you can't really screw them up. I'm not entirely sure they are even needed but I installed them anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Weird you don't have instructions. Mine had a set but they were typical chinese garbage. Luckily, install is pretty straight forward. Just watch the video in the first post. Yes, the metal press outs are spacers. They match the mounting feet so you can't really screw them up. I'm not entirely sure they are even needed but I installed them anyway.
Thanks for that Scott, Yes the video is a great help just the plate use wasn't shown. I was wondering if the holes are tapped, there was some mention that the holes for mounting are drilled but not threaded. I aim to have a look this week end and should be some the wiser after this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks like the holes are threaded on mine as well. Issue I have is the rear mounts seem to want to be placed where the rear jack mount is. Did anyone have this issue? I can't see how to remove the rear jack mount and only solution seems to be to grind off? How did other solve this ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I didn't have that issue. The mounts fit over the jack mounts. The running board mounts even had an area on the bottom that replicated the jack mounts, I assume for the same purpose. It kind of just relocated the jack mounts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I didn't have that issue. The mounts fit over the jack mounts. The running board mounts even had an area on the bottom that replicated the jack mounts, I assume for the same purpose. It kind of just relocated the jack mounts.
Yes all good I just assumed. I think I will cut the plastic on the car now I have a better idea of what I am doing. Will use a small dremmel to do the job. Will post results. Thank you for your help really appreciate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Guys my boards are on and I am well pleased with the quality and fit. I did things slightly different and will describe as this may help others.

I left all the under guard material in place. Marked out where I would need to cut holding the brackets up and using a white marker. Cuts were made using a dremel , easy to break the small discs I found running the dremel at a slower speed worked better for disc life. There is plenty of clearance when using the dremel so I wasn't close to any wiring or lines. First side took the longest , learning curve, but the second was about 45 mins. I elected not to use the steel spacers, thought adding steel to an alloy body just made corrosion something for the future. Used some lock tight on the small screws holding the boards to the mounts.

These look so OME one might consider them a direct copy. The new jack mounts are also better than the OME ones IMO.

·
Registered
140 Posts
:thumb:

Game changer not removing the guards. Easily the worst and most time consuming part. I too am really please with this cheap, quality upgrade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finished mine today. I removed the plastic pan and made 2 small cuts before replacing. I noticed the same as Scott, in that the new mounts have "replicated" jack mounts. Probably to insure that no one jacks from the outside edge of the bracket which will probably bend the bracket and running board.

It looks PERFECT! Really thrilled! But the darn pan must have 500 bolts and snaps! 3 hours job working slowly. 2 hours for the pan removals and replacements and an hour for the running boards. Not sure why it needs so to be so well attached to the frame. It's plastic!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts