RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here guys...

How do I install the cabin filter (where is it located)?
What filter do you recommend?
Do you recommend a specific brand of oil?
Do you recommend a specific brand of oil filter?
Do you recommend a specific brand of air filter?

I have a 2006 RRS SC w/ 60,000 miles (bought it with 52,000 and the service indicatior has not come on yet), runs & drives great. Do you recommend I do anything else to keep it running this way?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
These are just my opinions--others may differ.

How do I install the cabin filter (where is it located)?
Behind glove box--instructions usually come w filter

What filter do you recommend?
The stock paper pleated one

Do you recommend a specific brand of oil?
I think initial fill is Castrol GTX, as I am partial to synthetics I would use either Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec, but conventional oil like GTX is fine as long as you observe the change interval.

Do you recommend a specific brand of oil filter?
OEM, or a high quality aftermarket like Mann or Mahle. Mobil1 oil filters are very good as well and available at major AP chainstores. Skip the other cheapo lightweight ones at the AP chainstores--they stink

Do you recommend a specific brand of air filter?
The stock air filter. Skip the cheap ones at the AP chainstores and pay a bit more, its not worth saving $10 here

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
b_arra said:
Do you recommend I do anything else to keep it running this way?
I would change the front and rear differential fluid and transfer case at this mileage--if has not been done sooner. I usually do the front and rear diffs at 30-40K intervals and transfer case at 60K. The rear differential usually takes the most abuse so if you need to skimp--skimp on the front.

I would drain and replace the brake fluid and coolant every 2-3 years as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Replace the coolant every 2-3 years ?? Isn't the stock coolant recommended to be changed ever 10 years ? Thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
"OEM, or a high quality aftermarket like Mann or Mahle. Mobil1 oil filters are very good as well and available at major AP chainstores. Skip the other cheapo lightweight ones at the AP chainstores--they stink"

Why?

I know that a lot of folks say this, but I have never seen any bona-fide reason, or link.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Replace the coolant every 2-3 years ?? Isn't the stock coolant recommended to be changed ever 10 years ? Thanks.
The maintenance schedule also has you changing the front and rear axle oil every 10 yrs. YMMV.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Check the interwebz? :confused: Plenty of articles by guys who have more time than I do to tear these things apart. Or head over to Bob the oil guy and hang with the oil nerds.

Here's the first one I came across when I Googled it.

http://www.boefabrication.com/index.php?/boe/article/oil-filter-tear-down

Took your advice and googled it. Seems that a lot of guys tear them apart and compare stuff like construction materials and media element size, but nothing I saw proved that the engine actually was any better off with one than another.
Came across this as well--

"
[h=2]Do oil filters matter?[/h] That depends on who you talk to...or what you read.
The late, great Bob Winters of Bobistheoilguy.com fame ran his car with the oil filter completely bypassed to see if it would make a difference on used oil laboratory analysis results. Apparently there was no conclusive evidence that the filter made any difference in the oil contamination levels that the laboratory analysis could detect. "

I am old enough to remember when they didn't have an oil filter at all.
)))))

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Good point.

Plus you would save at least $17 every 10K miles by not having to replace it.

You may be onto something here. :thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great thread. :)

Quick question that I havent found an answer to even after reading the diagnostic tool thread.

What tool is best to purchase to simply reset the "service required" and maintenance type messages that appear on a 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged? I dont have a requirement to modify suspension settings, etc. Just to reset the various maintenance or routine service interval messages that appear. If a tool such as that doesnt exist, I dont have an issue with a tool that also reads all faults, codes..if thats a must for a tool that resets the interval/service indicator messages.

Thanks for any helpful responses.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think that you would get an answer to your question if you posted it on the board as a new post.

·
Banned
901 Posts
K&N oil filters are beefy and are high flow, you don't have to go for mann though they are fine just don't go for fram. I think rovers like Castrol the best but I go mobil 1 euro formula 0w-40 jugs at walmart for cost reasons. Change the running gear fluids every 70k miles or less, tranny, tc, and diffs with LR fluid. Do them all. The front Diff takes MORE Abuse because it turns, so if you hammer the gas thru turns change the front diff more often. The tranny fluid imo, NEEDS to be changed, it is not lifetime fill at 65k mine tranny fluid was BURNT. You can use Mercon SP for the tranny or Life Guard 6 but nothing else, no redline as suggested by me once erroneously and Umbertob, no Mercon LV it is not been approved for this tranny but has been used to supplant a SP in a different tranny.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Great thread. :)

Quick question that I havent found an answer to even after reading the diagnostic tool thread.

What tool is best to purchase to simply reset the "service required" and maintenance type messages that appear on a 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged? I dont have a requirement to modify suspension settings, etc. Just to reset the various maintenance or routine service interval messages that appear. If a tool such as that doesnt exist, I dont have an issue with a tool that also reads all faults, codes..if thats a must for a tool that resets the interval/service indicator messages.

Thanks for any helpful responses.
It does more than you need, but the IID Tool by GAP Diagnostics is the best option from price and quality/features standpoint. If you are looking for a $50 reset tool only IDK. You might be able to hunt around for a used IID, but be aware they need to be mated to your VIN number.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts