RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

Just got my '03 back from the dealer. It was in for a battery replacement and alternator replacement. Alternator went bad and took the battery down with it. [You might have seen my rant post last week about it when I wasn't a big fan of the LRNA warranty folks. I'm over it now. Anyhoo.]

My question was that the dealer tech said the drive belts were getting near replacement time. I needed the vehicle back so I told them to button her up with just the battery and alternator replacements and that I would attend to the belts another time.

Given I'm reasonably handy on my other car, I was wondering if anyone here has done a drive belt replacement on a 4.4 RR HSE. I have access to the service manual and a good array of tools, so I am hoping this is not an enormously complex service procedure.

If anyone has good docs/DIY info on this procedure (or even a few good website URLs) I'd be grateful.

thanks all.

ketel

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
I replaced the main belt without removing the viscous fan & radiator cowl but it’s really tight and difficult to see what you’re doing. If you can get the fan & cowl out of the way it’s much easier. Problem might be getting the fan off :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33214

There’s a link in the above post to a thread on a BMW forum (same engine) where a guy has documented the process with some photos.

Phil

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
Hi I am currently replacing my radiator and transmission oil cooler on my 2006 L322 AJ V8 (not the BMW) set up and there is not much info around for DIY on this model. I have it all apart and I am about to replace the drive belts and my manual shows the procedure for the supercharged model but not the naturally aspirated engine. Does anyone know how to get the belts off and how to correctly torque the tensioners??
Its very daunting at present - I have been taking photos so will endeavour to post Help please....

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
79 Posts
It's a good idea to remove the pulleys and repack them with grease while you're changing the belts. If you find any of the pulleys are shot, you can get Dayco replacements for around $10 each.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
I thought that the bearings to the idler pulleys were sealed, I didn't know you could re-pack them!:?:

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
79 Posts
Yes. Remove the dust cover, remove pulley from tensioner or the bracket, use a pick to remove the dust shields from the bearings, and repack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts