RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 100 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Re: DIY Custom Fiberglass Speaker box Enclosure

You better make that fiberglass pretty effing thick if it's going to support a 70# driver. Hit a bump in the road hard enough and you could have a speaker bouncing around your trunk!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

1/2" thick face, when I was trimming the shell, it was throwing sparks like crazy, like I was cutting steel; Its very strong. Its looking real good. I just trimmed it back to the proper ^3 Volume. I'll uplod pics in a few. I have to trim the upper plastic piece so that it fits around my speaker. Its also a lot smaller than I expected, however, it is still big. I cannot wait to start the final stage of FG'n, then I'll be done. :D How's that heat up in PHX? 110 here! Tomorrow is going to be hot as hell.

These below should help you a bit more if you need more info

GREAT DIY TUTORIALS
http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/index.htm

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=143576

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=we ... ubbox.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

Here ya go!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Murdered Out said:
How's that heat up in PHX? 110 here! Tomorrow is going to be hot as hell.
Bummer - it's a pleasant 70 here on the beach in Santa Barbara. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Re: DIY Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure Custom

does anyone who has a aftermarket sub have a good quality picture of the Hi/Lo Impedance Adaptor? it attaches at the oem amp sub wires. they are all green and I do not want to tap into each wire to find the right ones. If anyone has one can you try to take a good upclose pic of the wires and the connector so I can attempt this the easy way. Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

finnishing the box right now, will load pics soon

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Sub wires travel up the drivers side footboard area. lmk if you want pics of where I tapped in (next to the back seat/wheelwell, on the drivers side).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

sure send them over. you tapped the aftermarket amp into the green wires from the oem amp, usuing a hi/lo thing right?

jazejeff said:
its about time ...........
get that CD? also its drying a bit slow so I have to finish it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

My amp has high level input terminals, so I just rerouted those speaker wires to the inputs on my amp. JL amps like yours are 'high level input capable' too, but you have to solder the speaker leads to RCA jacks, then plug them in just like line level inputs. That extra PITA was the singular reason why I didn't get a JL amp.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

jazejeff said:
yeah i got it but i cant seem to figure out how to down load it
what you do is drag the entire contents of the disk into a folder, call it Adobe CS3. Then open the foler you made, click, "install files" then click the file named "setup" this will install the program. you may have to enter the serial number too, which is located in the text document that says "Go to me first". that will register the product. that should be all, although, sometimes a file name has to be changed in the Adobe CS3 directory to bypass the trial offer. I dont think I had to do that though.

JBrac showed me an easier way to tap into it. you just have to go from the oem amp with some converter thing and the RCA's plug directly into the converter. Did you run the power wire through the same spot near the gas pedal etc...

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Murdered Out said:
Did you run the power wire through the same spot near the gas pedal etc...
Yeah, somewhere thru the firewall there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

I broke my Dremel, so there is a little delay. However, I have finnished the entire box except for the front. I just glassed the top, and all the supports. Just need to trim and do the front.

It finally looks like a speaker box. I also dynamated my trunk area around the sub...

Any tool buffs in here? Drevs? who makes a rotorary tool like a dremel but heavy duty and reliable? something that also will take the same tools.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
707 Posts

that thing looks like a big piece of fiberglass poop lol... still cant wait to see it finished. this has got to be the longest most drawn out project to date on this forum...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #98

jazejeff said:
that thing looks like a big piece of fiberglass poop lol... still cant wait to see it finished. this has got to be the longest most drawn out project to date on this forum...
its only drawn out because it takes that much time to do it right (Day 10)... the box is only half of it, then comes the wiring project! :roll: thats going to suck!

·
Registered
458 Posts

i dont know what size wiring you're running or how much amperage you're pushing, but my 0 guage took quite a bit of creativity to get back there. good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #100

0 AWG! cant wait. Ok i fixed my dremel, trimed the fiberglass and layed the fleece over the face. The best way to do this is to use hot glue. lay down about 3-4 inches in length of glue, then pull a chunk of fleece very tight. Do pieces here and there so you dont get wrinkles. Then go back and do thes samething for the remaing un sealed parts of the fleece. You want it to be very tight and do not cut out the center. The center speaker ring will get cut out after you fiberglass the face. You will also avoid that area when you do start the fiberglassing. Just glass to the inner lip of the ring...

Here it is in my trunk. After I FG it, I have to make a trim piece to fill in the gaps. I'll then add factpry carpet to everything and the only thing you'll see is the speaker.

81 - 100 of 196 Posts