RangeRovers.net Forum banner

61 - 80 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Re: DIY Custom Speaker box Enclosure

Murdered Out said:
Ah! If it's not too late, definitely relocate all the relays and whatnot that are mounted to the tailgate area. It'll give you a ton more airspace back there since they're protruding so far into your box area. Here's a pic showing what I mean:

I also dynamatted all the bare sheetmetal around the sub compartment.
I'd suggest mounting your amp to one side or the other, just in case you get a processor or something later on... you'll have more room to mount it.
Whole project took about a gallon of the resin...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

my amp is too large, i had to put it directly behind the rear seats under a pannel. I did relocate those parts, it was a must for me. I need 1.8 cubic feet for my sub. how did you fiberglass the top? did youlet it dry pull it out and then fg the top part? I did the basic mold minus the top, so far. I also used FG Roven, its heavy duty FG that is woven like carbon fiber, it worked a lot beter than the mat, however I used them both together.

Oh wait, I only moved the stuff on the right side out of the way. The wires on the left wouldnt budge, and my seatbelt winding thing kept getting stuck. how did you do it?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Murdered Out said:
Yeah, I just mean slide it to one side or the other of that area.

To glass the side with the sub you'll need some internal support. Check out those pics your posted at the begining of the thread. Do a small section at a time and you'll be fine. Perhaps you could use foam (that you'll remove later, once the FG has set).

The woven FG is way easier to deal with, but apparently not as strong. I should have used more of it however, because the mat is such a messy PITA.

The relays on the left are mounted on a support bracket with those plastic push retainers that push through a little hole in the bracket, much like the connectors that hold the interior panels to the body. I just removed the whole bracket and drilled a few new holes in the tailgate area sheet metal. Then you can just push the plastic retainers into the new holes and they'll stick right there. See the pic I posted and it'll make more sense. You can just cut out the section of FG that covers that area and reglass it once you've relocated the relays. No big deal. For 1.8' you're going to need every last little bit of space you can get. My box is about 0.75'...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

i'll do that, i also have it comming out to the edge of the spare tire equipment/AR-15 storage compartment to give me that extra room.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Wow, that's going to be a huge box... You trying to wake the neighbors??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

neighborhood, I cant stand half off them. They're all triple my age and complain about EVERYTHING! I just had a pool put in, and I had to bring a fence up to code, they were serriously upset about an extra 8 additional inches on my fence, that's just the tip of the iceberg too. Its payback time.... :twisted:

Drevs- woven roven is the strongest FG weave. in order from weakest to strongest it goes, FG cloth, FG mat, FG biaxial, and then Woven Roven. The roven mixed with the the mat is the way to go. less layers and its super strong.

Now how and the hell do you get the box out? 1 1/2 hours I've been struggling in the 102 degree heat in my garage. I think I made the fit too perfect and it wants to stay put. I got about 1/3 of it out, however the right hand side in the back will not budge :evil:
I'm done till tonight, its waty too hot to be messing with this sh*t.

where I get my stuff:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... &page=GRID

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts

Murdered Out said:
neighborhood, I cant stand half off them....that's just the tip of the iceberg too. Its payback time.... :twisted:
Icebergs in Tucson...now that's a rare sight. It's funny, since that same neighbor who complains now about the raised fence, might be the first in line to sue if someone fell into your pool by accident if the fence was not the right regulated height. How ironic. Welcome to neighborhood rules!

So...are you up to 2.234 gallons yet with the larger box? :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

Yeah when we first told them about the pool, their main concern was pool saftey for their kids. How Ironic, I had to use their own kids against their wall decision. their feelings did not matter anyway, a law is a law.

I have used 3/4 of a gal. and bought one more. so I'm up to haveing 2, but I'm thinking I'll end up using a total of 1 1/2

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

ok, finally got the box out after cutting some large chunks off and making a well placed incision. also got a crap load of fiberglass shards in my skin, its sucks ass! next I'll be adding layers to the inner shell portion and making it all purdy (for u PJPR). after thats done, I'll make the face with fleece so it will have a curved effect similar to this, only much larger.

you can see how large it really is, it apeared much smaller when it was in my trunk.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
707 Posts

well i have to say i'm getting inspired by these pics i think im going to have to give it a try sometime this month ...keep posting those pics m/o

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

= PAIN IN THE ASS!

my arms are so jacked up from trying to pull this out, make sure the fit is not too perfect and right around edges; my biggest mistake. a dremel with a diamond saw blade also makes it super easy to trim everything up.

here are some useful tips
1. be over prepared, gloves, tyvek sleeves $0.50 (save your arms) & respirator.
2. use tape to make the box outline, and to protect your carpet. Then tape foil to the tape, it acts as a releasing agent, to the resin. otherwise you will have to pry your box out and peel gooey tape off. Also get a plastic paint drop cloth and cover your entire trunk and rear seats.
3. for a big box you will need to buy 2 gallons of polyester FIINISHING resin, polyester is cheaper and finnishing resin drys hard, the other type drys tacky.
4. use fiberglass woven roving and fiberglass mat together. woven roving is the strongest fiber glass available; Its used to build boats. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... &page=GRID
5. take your time and make sure you have plenty of it.

supplies:
gallon(s) of Polyester resin w/hardner
Acetone 2 Qt for cleaning
metal roller to smooth wet fiberglass and release air pockets
plastic buckets, gallon, plastic is easy to reuse because you can just squeeze the bowl and get the dry resin out.
2 packs of fiberglass mat
Fiberglass woven roving 8yd by 1yd
mixing sticks
cheap 3" paint brushes, at least 10
medical scissors or really good ones.
plastic drop cloth
Paining tape 3" 2-3 rolls
latex rubber gloves, with powder.
foil
respirator
felt, for the face of box.
glue gun(for dowels)
staple gun (for felt attachment)
wood dowels (speaker ring support) http://cgi.ebay.com/Dowels-Wood-Lot-of- ... 18Q2el1247
Speaker rings http://eliteinstallersupply.com/index.p ... 4095772ee1
Dremel is nice to have
sand paper or equiv.
***Tyvek sleeves- http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ek+Sleeves

almost all the fiberglass supplies can be bought here
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... &page=GRID

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

drevs I took your advice I'm cutting that chunk out now to make it larger and then I'm going to re-glass the new piece and join it with the larger piece to have a larger, modified box. half of those wires were not even hooked to anything, I just poped them off and stuffed them behind the wiper fluid. I'll post pics later tonight or tomorrow.

what is a really good type of dynamat? i know there are different types and brands.

did yours have a 6"x5" piece of dynamat looking thing where your box is now? there is a piece on the vehicle sheet metal/rear 1/4 panel on the inside.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

ok I moved the wires and modules out of the way to free up nearly .5 cubic feet. I then re-taped the new outline, put foil over it to help release it this time, and placed the inner shell back in place to fiberglassed again, that will be tomorrow.

THANKS DREVS! this was the kind of tip I was looking for prior to starting this project! :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Murdered Out said:
ok I moved the wires and modules out of the way to free up nearly .5 cubic feet.
Cool, good call. Glad I could help out.

Yes, mine has the factory piece of dynamat. I bought some cheap dynamat-like stuff off ebay for about $30. It was super think and a bit messy to cut into shapes, but waaay cheaper than Dynamat brand material. It's basically just gooey tar paper with a foil lining. Use a hairdryer to help with adhesion. I put it on every piece of sheet metal that I could fit it on, including the backside of the factory interior panel.

In response to the other thread, I believe the Ikea handles are measured end to end and there are two sizes. You will need the longer size. The short size is 6" between mounting points, and the larger is 14". Should be longer enough so long as you don't run them centered over the driver (like I did).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

crap, i dont think they'll work. my speakers are 13.5's that would put the comcting pieces into my speaker. :x

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

I dont see how they will fit. The have a 13.5" size (which is my speaker diameter) and then a 26" which is too large. That sucks.

I also bought "B-Quiet" sound damper, they are a Canadian company, and their Ultimate serries works better than any other brand in hot weather. Furthermore, they make many other great sound dampening products.

http://www.b-quiet.com/index.html

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

As long as the handle doesn't go across the widest part of the sub, you'll be fine. If you offset them, it should be fine. Mount one above and one below the centerline, like mine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

:doh: I see what you mean.

Re-glassed the new section, finally I can start building the face etc. Once it dries I'll add the top layer, I'll lay felt on the top, pull it tight and then staplee it to the sides; Then I'll fiberglass it. Onces that is done and dry I'll measure the cubic feet by using a perfectly cubed box and fill it with packing peanuts. My speaker need 1.8 Cu Ft. So I'll dump one entire box of peanuts and then a rough esitmate the .8. And that is how you figurte out the size. When I have the size i'll trim the box up to meet the correct dimensions, and then I can make the face of the box using similar steps as I did for the top, only it will not be flat it will have curves. I'll probably be doing that in a few days.
AFTER:

BEFORE:

here is a some good info for the DIY project
http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/05 ... index.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Re: DIY Custom Fiberglass Speaker box Enclosure

its chugging along, I'm about 75% finnished now, I'll update pics tonight. I fleeced the top, measured the cubic feeet, and placed the speaker ring. The only steps left are to fiberglass the fleece on top, then stretch fleece over the face and fiberglass that section. And presto, I have a speaker box

prior to trimming up the edges

Attached fleece to the top with Hot Glue Gun the staple gun did not work. will fiberglass the fleece.

Got my 1 Cubic box (exact) filled with packing peanuts. I needed 1.8 Cubic feet.

Filled it up arranged them where I needed more depth and then marked the perimeter with a marker so I can trim everything way back before I do the face.

Hot glued the speaker ring in

cut and placed wood support for the rings. Used hot glue to attach them (will fiberglass them in)

still have to trim back to the black line and then start fiberglassing this mofo.

61 - 80 of 196 Posts