RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 196 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: DIY Custom Speaker box Enclosure

I'm good at fiberglassing from my younger days; growing up in Hawai'i fixing surfboards was a common occurance. Did you use a roller? I'm going to use a fiberglass mat instead of using actual fiberglass cloth. It makes it easier to fight the air pockets and is lighter in weight.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

redline201 said:
nice choice
ima big jl fan myself
is that box large enough for those speakers?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Yeah, I used the fiberglass mat and it was much more difficult to work with than the cloth.... however, the end result is (apparently) stronger. Surely if you've had surfboard experience, this will be an easier task for you. I was a rookie...
I didn't use the roller, mainly because of all the odd angles and uneven layering. I should have kicked on the AC in my garage, because at 105+ degrees the resin would setup super fast and not leave me eough time to get it properly flattened out. I did a fair amount of sanding and relayering, etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts

yeah the box is pretty big. the guys who did the work know what their doing. takes up alot of room but its the loudest system ive ever had so its worth it to me.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

redline201 said:
yeah the box is pretty big. the guys who did the work know what their doing. takes up alot of room but its the loudest system ive ever had so its worth it to me.

are they 12W7's?

Drevs said:
I should have kicked on the AC in my garage, because at 105+ degrees the resin would setup super fast and not leave me eough time to get it properly flattened out. I did a fair amount of sanding and relayering, etc.
you have A/C in your garage!? uggh that is a luxury. I need to have a duct routed into mine. I'm stuck with a fan; I'll probably do this project at night.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

you can see (physically) the difference between w7s and w6v2s easily... the w6v2s have exposing mounting screw holes, but on w7s its hidden so all you see is the face of the sub...
anyway w6v2s are great subs, but theres nothing like w7s, but i def am biased :D

hey redline, are you using the amp's on board eq to tune your subs? do you know any of the settings? i need to readjust my settings because i think I am not getting the full potential performance from my setup as of right now

·
Registered
122 Posts

im using the on board eq and a cleansweep. id love to tell you the seettings but i dont feel like ripping my amps out of there little home. i think the jl audio website has info about the correct setting for the w7s though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

not yet, in a week ot two. I'm overloaded right now with summer school. I'll make a real DIY thread when I do start.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

in case you need need the wooden rings for your speakers, this place has custom pre fabricated rings that are constructed very well. I just got mine in today. I bought the flush mount ones.

http://eliteinstallersupply.com/index.php?cPath=21_54

DREVS, how did you hook the speaker wires up? did you use a wire terminal?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

My driver has those spring loaded clamps, so no terminal needed.

My amp has screw down terminals, so no need for extra wire terminals there either.

The more junctions that the current has to pass through, the greater the loss. Also, KISS... No need for extra shiat that could come loose someday.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

ok, maybe I said it wrong. did you just drill a hole through the box and then seal it with silicone? how did you run the amp power wire? Jbrac said he went under the steering wheel through a hole that is already there...Is that what you did? I'm going to take this on Friday night.

·
Registered
489 Posts

What you just said sounds like what drevs did. No need for a terminal connection just drill a small hole in box, slide speaker wire through then silicone it good to seal properly. Make sure you get good thick speaker wire.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Yeah, just put a hole through the box and caulked it.

I ran power from the battery along the top of the firewall - I seem to recall using 8ga wire. There is some black plastic trim that you can tuck the wire into, but it's a real biatch. Makes everything much cleaner tho if you can get it in there.
I can't remember if I put my own hole through the firewall or used an existing one.
I ran the wire under the door jambs, and up under the rear seats to the storage compartment ahead of where the jack and "other stuff" is located.
All in all it was a real effort, but it's definitely worth it to spend the time to do it right. I also put in a power inverter under the rear seats. Never know when I might need my hairdryer while camping.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

I have a 4 ga power wire and that is the minimum I can use with my amp, will this still work? What size speaker wire should I use for a 1000 watt amp?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

Well, you can use whatever gauge you want, but the smaller the gauge the limited the current that can pass through. And it get worse the longer your distance. 4Ga is great, but a bigger pita to install. Might have some trouble getting it past/through certain areas, but you should be able to figure it out.
Prob. want at least 12Ga speaker wire, but I'd just buy the biggest crap you can find since your run will be short and the cost difference relatively insignificant.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

yeah I just wasnt sure if I could fit 4 AWG through the firewall. I'M actually going with 2 or 0 AWG just in case I decide to change my mids and highs.

my 13W7 came in today. That thing is a BEAST! I've never seen a 70 pound 13" speaker.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

You should consider a second battery and/or cap if you think you'll need 2/0 AWG.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts

70 lbs for a speaker! Wow.

May have to seriously consider now removing the resonance weights below just to compensate for the increased weight...

There goes the mileage!! :D :D

21 - 40 of 196 Posts
About this Discussion
195 Replies
16 Participants
Drevs
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing