Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok new tracking bar fitted and tracking checked all ok. All wheels been balanced ok. Still have a noise when wheel is turned to the left. completely goes away when wheel is straight ahead or turning right. Noise doesnt appear to grow with speed so bearing isnt wearing ? Any ideas ? New steering damper ordered as that appears to be weeping. Its bugging me now since I've replaced discs, pads and calipers as I thought they might be the culprits.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What type of noise is it, does it happen on full lock, say when parking, or if you just turn a gentle right on a bend in the road, Does it hummm or knock. Noises can be hard to diagnose without actually hearing them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
LH front wheel bearing on the way out.

Mine did that. Got louder as you turned into it. Not too bad at first but gets worse as time goes on. I bought a s/h hub on Ebay and swapped the whole thing. I have a new bearing and I am in the process of fabricating a bearing press so I can swap it out.

correction: thinking about it, my LH wheel bearing got louder when I turned right. More weight was put on it when cornering.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It happens as soon as you turn the wheel left but once its back to dead centre or turning right it goes away. So basically only degree to the left. Noise is constant no matter the turning amount or the speed. hum or knock... hmmmm its constant pitch quite low. @LuisC the mudflap ? Did you find out where it was catching or was it obvious when you got underneath ? Going for a prowl under tomorrow weather permitting as its starting to annoy me now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well popped over and saw Dave3d this afternoon so he could have a prod and nose around Chelsea to see if he could see any faults and listen to the noise. Apparently Chelsea is a 'keeper' but needs some TLC. The noise is still not narrowed down to a specific problem but after having a ride in Daves, my dampers are definitely shot. What a difference in cornering stance. In a very kind gesture I now have 4 brand new second hand ones in the boot to try and stop Chelsea behaving like an ocean liner. Also going to reset the steering box and see what difference that makes and recheck all the brakes for binding issues. Hopefully this weekend weather permitting.

Cheers again Dave for this afternoon. Really enjoyed the experience and left me feeling a lot more positive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.