Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Distributor replacement - searched but cannot make sense of all the available info

1989 Range Rover, 3.9

I want to replace my distributor. While there is a ton of distributor posts here, I can't seem to find the right combo of info.

Reasons why I want to replace dizzy:

1. Vacuum advance seems all loose and not working, not sure if I just need to screw it down.

2. Broke the plastic cover thingy when I pryed off my rotor

3. May need to remove it anyhow because I've got a small coolant leak in a hose that runs directly behind the dizzy

4. Need to correct my timing anyhow as well

5. Currently running an MSD 6A and I'm getting my trigger via the magnetic pickup (where the old amplifier used to plug into) - but it is sort of hack rigged and wanted something a little more "normal".

Reasons why I can't figure out what to buy:

1. Hear petronix won't work with my MSD Coil because of the coil's primary resistance OHMs being less than 1.5.

2. MSD dizzys don't have vacuum advnace, only mech. Not sure why I only want vacuum advance though - part of it is I want to make the system look as similar as before because of California SMOG.

3. Mallory unilite is expensive as all heck - AND not sure if compatible with MSD 6A box. Also not sure if it will trigger my 6A box since it is optic - which sounds like it isn't magnetic. The MSD unit can also get its signal from an amplifier module, but i can't figure out if the mallory unit has this...plain old confused.

4. Mallory also needs some resistance ballast - have no idea how to integrate this into my MSD system (I have the box, tach adapter, and coil)

5. Stock lucas - like stated above, my MSD 6a has two wires that run to where the old amplifier plugged into - this is rigged and wanted something a little more hardwired.

While I am totally up for trying to learn things - in this case, I just want someone to tell me: Is there a decent, relatively inexpensive distributor, that has vacuum advance, and has wires for magnetic pickup, that I can simply replace the existing unit with ease????

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Distributor replacement - searched but cannot make sense of all the available inf

Nevermind. Did even more research and found a couple of things. So may spring for the expensive Unilite (amazon has them on the cheap...well cheaper).

Wiring: There are 3 wires on the mallory dizzy - one of them is used for the trigger to the 6a unit (it acts as points vs magnetic pickup). So I would have to use the white wire on the 6a vs the purple and green (i think these are the current colors) that go to the magnetic pickup location on the lucas.

Source:
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16573

Ballast Question: Don't need it because the unilite would not be wired directly to the coil Instead, because the trigger is sending the signal to the MSD unit, then to the coil, the MSD can handle it. Not sure what any of that means...but sounds like I don't need it.

Source:
http://www.trifive.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-54466.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts