RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've just removed my cylinder heads (subject of another thread) and in doing so had to remove the distributor to access the bolts to remove some of the ancillary kit. I noted the position of the rotor but when I put the distributor back in it seems to be about 15degrees different. Am I correct in assuming that because the distributor shaft has a key at the bottom it's only possible to install it either correctly or 180 degress out of position or............ have I messed things up!!!???

Also, when the distributor is re-engaged, the housing (and therefore the position of the cap relative to the rotor) can still be moved, is this an issue? and if so what do I need to do to make sure everything is OK??

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, I did do a search but couldn't find a suitable answer

Cheers, Simon

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a worm drive gear at the bottom of the shaft, not a keyed shaft. Because of this, it will always turn the distributor as the worm gear engages. You have to compensate for this by rotating the distributor body in the opposite direction before engaging the gears, so that the net result is that it all lines up. I recall plenty of trial and error before getting it correctly lined up again.

Hope that makes sense?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Danny, Yes, it's definitely a worm drive and the rotor moves about 15 degrees as you push the distributor body down but the last 10mm or so pushes onto a keyed section which I think can only be one of 2 ways - but it's this i'm not too sure about and also the fact the distributor body still rotates once the worm gear and the keyed shaft are engaged, does this effect things?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well, the distributor body will still turn because that's how you set the timing. I must admit, it's a couple of years since I had to do this.
Anyway, I've had a look at the manual and the 'keyed' end goes into the oil pump drive shaft:
"It may be necessary to align oil pump drive shaft to enable distributor drive shaft to engage in slot."
I guess I didn't have to do this (or I've just forgotten that I did), but presumably its fairly straightforward to do, as it doesn't get any more of a mention than that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Danny, you're right. The oil pump drive shaft turns independently, you can just put a socket on it! I'm not sure why I didn't think to try that first, it must have been one of those days. Thanks a lot for your help
Simon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts