RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having bought my beautiful RR 4.0 i ran it for two days, the Headgasket blew lost all its water and heat seized. Not a good start!. Whilst waiting for the R.A.C it cooled down and i started it, it initialy rattled on the top end but then quietened down. Obviously with no water i didn't run it for more than a few seconds. Once home i started it once more to drive it into the garage. I replaced both head gaskets with composite ones, in fact a complete top end set. I de-coked the head and re-ground the valves in. I didn't replace the valve stem seals because they all looked and sealed fine and i'm a great believer in "IF IT AINT BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT!". Having fully rebuilt it on initial start-up it seemed to be reving high (around 2000rpm) on idle and ommiting excesses fumes (unburnt fuel) from the exhaust, i swaped the MAF sensor and the idle air control valve for known good ones, cleaned the inside of the plenum, checked all wiring connections even removed the intake manifold and sealed it with silicon as i wondered if it might be leaking slightly and air sucking. Started it again, the idle has settled down but once it warmes up slightly it seems to be running on 6 or 7, still get the unburnt fuel smell and a kind of condensation from the exhaust ansd as it gets warmer it gets worse? there is a very oily smell from the engine that leaks into the cabin and it is thoroughly unpleasant. Has anyone any ideas? i'm now wondering if the heat seize episode did something more than i first thought or did the heat cause a sensor to fail? i am thoroughly lost and totally DISILLUSIONED I have now spent a small fortune on this car, can't afford to spend much more and will lose a small fortune if i cut my losses. On the plus side i do have my old 4.6 sat there which i can use for spares. Ironically i replaced her with this one because of all things THE HEAD GASKET WENT ON THAT ONE!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The more i think about it i wonder if it could be Valve timing? with grinding in the valves i wonder if it needs shimming? this would explain the excess fumes and rough under powered running... Anyone else think this could be my answer?????

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi to all Dont feel to bad about the engine I bought my 4.6 on a friday blew the heads on the sunday still dont know weather the bad hose went first or the heads but did have a recall from Land Rover some time later to have the hoses changed because they found them to be giving a problem, but when asked to help with the cost of the replacement engine they of cause denied responsiblity, you can always realy on Land Rover to have an answer !!!
Best regards sillyboy

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sounds like you cooked the engine,then to make sure cooked it again and just to be extra certain, cooked it one last time. Most certainly the head gasket(s) have gone again. You dont mention checking the heads for flatness which is essential. They alost certainly need skmming if you ran it to the point of seizing,may have even slipped a liner. Heads off again chap!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May i clarify, she only got hot once... i am not a prat! 2, the liners are all fine and 3, i had the heads skimmed. Any more sugestions?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have you done a compression, or better still, a leak down test? If so what are the values?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts