RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 96 discovery for sale in my area for $3400. Its got me thinking that I want one. I have a 92 county now. Whats the main difference between the two other than looks.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Have a seat in one, first off. IMO Disco feels cramped for driver legroom. You get the P38 engine. Better power and response in acceleration (if one worries about such things in a LR product). Disco's just as capable off-road and there seems to be a larger following and support vendors for off-road mods. Overall, they seem to be less problem prone. ("reliable" is just not the right word)

Lot's of chicks drive Disco's... and there you have it. :twisted:

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Other than the "chick factor" it is mainly design bits. I can't stand being in a Disco for more than about 20 miles. They are too cramped at the shoulders for my taste, rougher ride and generally just not as fun for my taste. DOn;t get me wrong, they are great rigs, just not as comfortable or roomy.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
They suck. They are cheap. Ride like crap. Girls frive them. I can go on for days but you just go have a look for yourself.

·
Registered
264 Posts
leadfoot said:
I saw a 96 discovery for sale in my area for $3400. Its got me thinking that I want one. I have a 92 county now. Whats the main difference between the two other than looks.

ITS A GR8 TRUCK IF YOU ARE 5FT1 i am 6ft there is no way i can drive the disco. but other than that they are mechanically 85% the same

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
I find these comments pretty interesting. My experience and observations are somewhat different. The only DI I recall driving was in the UK, with a 200Tdi and 5-speed manual. I thought it drove fine and road fine. I am a bit over 6'1" and don't recall feeling cramped. That was about 13 years ago, before I bought my RRC and had only driven Series Rovers so my perspective was of course a bit different then. My son just bought a DII (2001 SE7) and I must confess to being pretty impressed. I love the extra headroom in the front and it seemed to have plenty of leg room in front. I didn't ride in the back but it appears very cramped, maybe worse than my RRC but perhaps that's because it's kept room for the 3rd-row seating (which is pretty slick in design). It handled quite well on the road. I haven't driven it off-road but my son reports that it does very well on the muddy ranch roads where he lives (no serious trail work yet). The feature I found most annoying was that it has the 18" wheels with low-profile tires (255/55R18 Toyo Open Country AT). I found them extremely harsh on the road. My son says they work very well on the "peanut butter" where he lives.

What I don't like about Discos is that they are in my eyes very awkward looking and appear top-heavy. As the roof of a DI is steel and taller than the aluminum roof of an RRC, I have to believe that the Disco must have a higher center of gravity. The Disco I's rear suspension is a bit less sophisticated than that of the RRC and I believe therefore has somewhat less articulation available in stock form. The ABS used in the Disco is also less sophisticated than that in the RRC.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As I am not the Pope, I dont feel its appropriate for me to be travelling in a vehicle that looks like the Popemobile. :snooty:
(Appologies to Disco fans) /:(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quite an interesting discussion. I may have an opportunity to purchase a 2004 Disco from my wife's work in a few weeks on the cheap. I was seriously considering it even though I have never driven one. They are everywhere around here. I am not a fan of the look, especially after the popemobile picture. 8-0= 8-0=

I love the space and ablity of my LWB and am not sure that a Disco at 1/2 price is a good idea. I guess I could purchase (if there are no major problem) and resell if I don't care for it.

Looking forward other comments.

Thanks
Parker
1993 Plymouth Blue LWB

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
had one for 3 months, very nice car, mine was a 2003 though which is quite different to the earlier S1 cars.

Just can't handle the B pillar, its in the wrong spot for someone of my build/height, bought the P38 rangie as a trade for the disco.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
If I were going to buy a Discovery Series II, I'd want a 2004 as it was the only DII (as I understand it) that had the center diff lock on the xfer box. Early DIIs still had the diff lock but no actuating mechanism. Middle-year ones, such as my son's, don't even have the diff lock at all and need a partial xfer box transplant to obtain that (to my mind) quite essential feature. The ones without diff lock rely solely on traction control (ETC) to make four-wheel drive meaningful. I saw a couple of instances with a friend's 2002 DIi that were very unimpressive without the diff lock. Of course, my RRC, with its viscous coupling, completely embarrassed the Disco in those situations. My son is happy with his, so far, but I'm betting that he'll eventually find himself wanting to do a CDL transplant. The 2004 also had the 4.6-liter engine available, for better or worse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
G'day folks,

Great topic and I'm enjoying the various opinions....
Pity we didn't get the 4.6 D2's here, nor the blessed 4.2 RRC... bugga !!
Now, for the first time in my life I find myself considering (at least) taking a D1/D2 for a test drive... just to see what all the fuss is about.
Personally I've never found them attractive... unlike the classic which I'm still admiring as a work of art.

Cheers
Rod

PS - the popmobile pictured above is actually a 2 door RRC.... look closely at the bonnet, lights, grill & door.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am 6'2" and have had RRC's D1's D2's and now have 96 P38 SSE. I never felt any more cramped in my Discovery's than I did in my classic. The 04 D2's with the 4.6 and cable actuated cdl are really nice trucks and I find them comfortable. The P38 is more comfortable than all the rest but it's a different sort of car. The real difference between the D1 and SWB Classic is looks and some snobbery.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
100 Posts
Disco 1 & 2 I think the seats are crap. Then to be fair the only LR vehicle that can be described as having "good" seats relatviely speaking is the RR's!

Disco 1's have more steel in the body work, so heavier than a RRC and thus roll a bit more in the corners.

Disco 2's I actually like, bar the seats. The facelifted models are stylish and are well equipped. I hear that the ACE system is a good thing to have (when it is reliable of course ;) ). There were indeed some D2's that had no linkages at all for the diff lock, but these can apparently be sourced from a scrap D1 and fit in nicely.

·
Registered
272 Posts
rangerovering said:
Disco 1 & 2 I think the seats are crap. Then to be fair the only LR vehicle that can be described as having "good" seats relatviely speaking is the RR's!
I find this idea kind of funny because the seat frames and foams are standard British Leyland parts. The frames and foams are exactly the same as my 1975 MG Midget 1500, and they are also shared with mid-Seventies Jaguar XJ-S and MGB's too. The ergonomics fit me perfectly, but then I have a perfectly average English build (I have a WASP ancestry, despite my Czech name). My wife is comfortable in the seats too, and she's 5' 3". The only difference from the Midget is leather skins and electric adjusters. Our Range Rover's seats are OK for comfort, but nothing to write home about, with some odd pressure points across the shoulders and mid-thigh. Our seats are much more comfortable with full sheepskin covers, as were the seats in my old Midget.

I've only ever ridden in one Disco, at late Mk. 1. It was comfortable enough with velour seats, adequate leg room for my average frame, and tons of head room. The kids thought the rear was roomy enough, but not quite as wide as our RRC. I never got a chance to drive the thing, but it seemed to sound and drive just like our RRC.

Scott

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont really like the looks of the discoverys either. The profile of the RR are what really got me. Im also addicted to my leather heated seats. I dont want to complicate things but the only other truck I have coveted more than my RR is a defender 90/110. These are rare finds in my area and real expensive. How is the defender different than the RR other than looks? The couple of friends over the years that had defenders have all had one thing in common...they refused to let me drive it! I feel like I would sell my RR tomorrow and squander my savings to have one but I dont really know anything about them.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
Make sure you drive one for a while before you decide to sell your Range Rover!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discovery's are pretty common around here and probably outnumber Range Rovers 10 to 1.

I dont think the Disco is a bad vehicle, I just am not into the styling myself, a Range Rover Classic will always be something of a design icon, its simplicity and minimalism is what works for it.

I cant get into the current Range Rovers myself they are just too flashy and fussy and I think their designs will age quickly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Can anyone clarify if there is any headroom difference between RRC model years? I ask because I have a1996 Discovery, am 6'4" tall, and have plenty of clearance. I've only sat in a few RRC's and they all seemed to have much less headroom - to the point I would not even consider buying one. That said, I do like the RRC lines and would consider hunting one down except for the headroom issue.

Contrary to this thread, we love our D1. At 143k miles it's strong with a lot of life, and not too bad in the rust department either (for an East Coast vehicle). We actaully considered replacing it twice, for something newer, and both times we kept it!

Tom P.

·
Registered
232 Posts
RR Classics have quite good head-room, its the vehicles which have electric sunroofs fitted that you struggle a bit as you lose around 3" of headroom. If your tall try and find a vehicle without an elec sunroof.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
You're right; I need to ditch my sunroof top and swap in a non-sunroof panel and headliner but I'm too lazy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts