RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for drilled and slotted rotors for my 07 RR S/C and have come up with this company "Disc Italia" www.disc-italia.com. They also make hyper ceramic brake pads which produces almost no brake dust. They make pads and rotors for all of the Range Rover models. They look realy sharp. However, I was unsuccessful in finding any reviews on these brakes which are supposed to be better than the factory Brembo pads and rotors. I cannot even call the company "Disc Italia" to get any information from them as to where the parts are manufactured and if they require any modification to be installed correclty. Their phone number listed on their website does not work. I found one online company www.brakeworld.com that sells them. I would greatly appreciate any experiences or feedback.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With great hesitation and lack of reviews, I finally venutred and bought the Disc Italia pads and rotors. I went for the drilled and slotted rotors and the hyper ceramic pads. I ordered them from brakeworld.com. It cost me $1,100 for the 07 RR S/C front and rear. I also bought the front and rear brake sensors from my local LR dealer. They fit perfectly with Disc Italia pads. I took everything to my local Big-O-Tires in Irvine, CA and had them installed for $240. They did a great job and they look great on the car. I've had over 400 Miles on them so far and they do produce much much less brake dust. Stopping power is excellent and there's almost no squeal coming from the front or rear. The car looks like it has the Brembo Gran Turismo brakes which is an $8,000 brake upgrade on these cars.
Initially I was looking for Brembo drilled rotors but found out that they don't make them drilled for the RR S/C even though they have Brembo rotors as factory equipment. I didn't want to spend 8K to upgrade my brakes either, so I decided to consider the DIsc Italia. They are only distributed from brakeworld.com for now. But according to a rep from Brake world that exclusivity will end in August 09 and then other dealers will carry them. and Yes they are made in Italy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So I am interested in your review - you are the second one to install these rotors and pads. I have a 2008 HSE which Id like to retrofit the from SC brembo calipers.

Instead of the OEM rotors and pads Id like to use Disc Italia. I do want NO squeak though (I have that currently with the OEM pads and rotors.)

You said in your review little squeal - is that no squeal or some squeal? I do know all drilled and slotted brakes make a bit of a humming noise and pedal vibration when stopping) at least thats what they do on my Audi Allroad - but thats not squeak like when you come to a stoplight and that squeal happens just before you stop....

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The short squeak is only when at a complete stop at trafic lights and you slightly release the brake pedal, other than that there are no vibrations or squeal when brakes are applied. I am extremely pleased with these brakes compared to factory pads and rotors. They are more expensive but definately worth the money. I will post pics soon.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey, had to chime in here. I installed these on my disc brake write up, and have to agree with all the previous owner's comments except one. The braking (at least on my vehicle) is no way improved. In fact ceramic pads have to be at a certain temperature to even start working properly. If I had to do it again I would switch back to the stockers in an instant due to the lack of braking power. I mean it is ridiculous quite honestly. It seems to have improved a little over time but my brembo ladened supercharged now has the braking capacity of my HSE. I cannot wait for these things to be shot so I can switch back. The rotors do look great though, and there is virtually no brake dust. But if you drive your rover hard like I do that few feet is the difference between a wreck and a near miss. My old pads literally stopped on a veritable dime. The pedal travel is much greater to get the same stopping due to the hardness of the ceramic which will not "bite" into a rotor if it also is not ceramic. If you are a grandma/sunday driver then go for it. If not I do not recommend these you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
pennfxu said:
Hey, had to chime in here. I installed these on my disc brake write up, and have to agree with all the previous owner's comments except one. The braking (at least on my vehicle) is no way improved. In fact ceramic pads have to be at a certain temperature to even start working properly. If I had to do it again I would switch back to the stockers in an instant due to the lack of braking power. I mean it is ridiculous quite honestly. It seems to have improved a little over time but my brembo ladened supercharged now has the braking capacity of my HSE. I cannot wait for these things to be shot so I can switch back. The rotors do look great though, and there is virtually no brake dust. But if you drive your rover hard like I do that few feet is the difference between a wreck and a near miss. My old pads literally stopped on a veritable dime. The pedal travel is much greater to get the same stopping due to the hardness of the ceramic which will not "bite" into a rotor if it also is not ceramic. If you are a grandma/sunday driver then go for it. If not I do not recommend these you will be disappointed.
you think stock pads (mintex)or a semi metallic (like posi quiets) will have better stopping power?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definately agree that ceramic pads are not for track or even light track use. However, they do have many advantages. Reduced brake dust, more heat resistence, longer pad and rotor life and quieter braking. If constant heavy braking is a top priority, I would cosider the semi-metalic with the drilled/slated rotors. You will get more brake power and the looks of a drilled rotor, but will give up many of the advantages of ceramic. If you are considering Disc Italia pads and rotors, think of them as an affordable alternative to the $8000 8 piston Brembo Gran Turismo which will give you ultra high performance braking for street and track use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts