RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disappointed and New RR Sport comparison for further disappointment

I got my Autobiography Diesel V8 on January. It looks nice, handles nice, but it looks better than it rides, sometimes, with the 22 inches rims the ride is harsh. Still nothing extraordinary for the price tag and my feeling is that it delivers less than it should.

But the newest incarnation of the RR Sport adds me more confusion.

The interior is EXACTLY the same one in the Sport but for the gear selector.

There's more than looks, true, but it feels wrong when you pay a lot more for the same interior.

Wrong move.

Your views?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts
Re: Disappointed and New RR Sport comparison for further disappointment

I got my Autobiography Diesel V8 on January. It looks nice, handles nice, but it looks better than it rides, sometimes, with the 22 inches rims the ride is harsh. Still nothing extraordinary for the price tag and my feeling is that it delivers less than it should.

But the newest incarnation of the RR Sport adds me more confusion.

The interior is EXACTLY the same one in the Sport but for the gear selector.

There's more than looks, true, but it feels wrong when you pay a lot more for the same interior.

Wrong move.

Your views?
For me the bigger disappointment concerns the "tech" items which come with the new RR Sport which are missing from the full size RR, namely:
1. Lane departure tech
2. Traffic sign recognition
3. Additional parking support: perpendicular and side clearance info.
4. Auto steer OUT of a parallel park space
6. Head up display
7. App which can locate stolen vehicle; communicate in the event of an accident and provide vital stats remotely

There may be others I omitted but its curious that within months of the RR launch these items appear on a "lesser" model.

These RRS items will now simply be an irritation to those gadget lovers who have ordered their RR.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
989 Posts

It is so similar in look and function but feels completely different sitting in it. The new Sport really feels like a sportier Range Rover not an LR4 that looks like a Range Rover.

Buying these cars is like buying any other piece of tech, you can keep waiting for the next big feature but then you never get one. This happens every time. Back in 2005 the Sport Classic got Terrain Response before the Range Rover along with a few other little interesting differences.

And saying it's a lesser model does make sense but remember it is a 2014 model.

Still sucks though, I agree with you there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It's more than gadgetry here, I could even understand it had it been launched for, say, six months, but it's barely reached the market, anyway. It's more about the looks, I don't think despite the different ride it may have, that sharing the same interior is a right move. It's as if BMW's 3-5 series shared the flagship's 7 series interior.

And, most likely, I bet that the infotainment on the Sport model would outperform that of my Range Rover L405, come on, I can feel my beard growing when I try to use it's satnav thingy; it takes ages to work, it's so absolutely laaagggyyyy.

And I bet Sport's heated seats would not try to roast you alive as mine try in this hemorrhoidal facilitator with wheels I've purchased.

And all in all, I thnk I would have preferred the gear lever instead of that emerging pudding.

Argh.

·
Registered
710 Posts

My 2006 Range Rover Sport has a few technical advancements that my 2006 Full size Supercharged doesn't. (Electronic parking brake, terrain response control, much more accurate park distance control.)

It's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
405 Posts

The new Range Rover Sport no longer comes with a low range as standard equipment. Poser mobile.

·
Registered
20 Posts

BMW may not be the best comparison, haha.
You are spot on! I also drive a 7 series. The resemblance in interiors across the 3,5,6 and 7 series had no impact on my decision to purchase.

Although I understand how the RR and Sport interior similarities could offend some buyers. At the end of the day, IMO the RR and Sport should have similar interiors.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Personally I'm a bit ticked off that the Sport has an option for rear window shades, where its big brother has no such option. This is very usefully especially in the summertime.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Wi-Fi for up to 8 devices is on the new Sport. Is that also available on the RR?

·
Registered
235 Posts

And I bet Sport's heated seats would not try to roast you alive as mine try in this hemorrhoidal facilitator with wheels I've purchased.

Argh.
Funny, but true. Who came up with the design of the heated seats which have no real low setting?? It's quite literally like someone lit a blowtorch and then dropped it on your back. Even after turning it off, takes about 10-20 mins to stop burning based on the little fan they have to more "efficiently" move the air around. I would fire the guy who designed this in a minute.

With regard to the new Sport coming out, I'm not personally bothered in the least. Like someone else said, each year just like with technology, there's the new and improved and in my eyes, the Sport and its larger brother are two completely different cars.

In my case, I think the car drives like a dream with very reduced road noise and a super smooth ride. I drive a lot of very long distances and with a 130 pound dog in tow and its the first car that doesnt have me calling my chiropractor immediately after the drive.

Do I think the Info screen or whatever they call it sucks? Kinda, in that its not all that intuitive, but once I got used to navigating it and a few strangely designed quirks, it's fine. Also not thrilled with the Nav system, but I've had worse on other cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a need for that??
Me personally, I don't see the importance of having Wi-Fi in a car but more and more auto makers are adding that feature. I agree with you but I can only assume that other buyers would take full advantage of having Wi-Fi being available while in a car. I have no clue in what way though.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
989 Posts

Personally I'm a bit ticked off that the Sport has an option for rear window shades, where its big brother has no such option. This is very usefully especially in the summertime.
I thought that too! All the competitors in the class have them. But do you know if they're automated or manual?

·
Registered
2121 RR Autobiography Fifty, 2019 MB E63s
21 Posts

The sunshades are a six piece "install and remove" kit for the second row and tailgate side windows. Per the configurator, "This six piece set has been bespoke tailored to the Range Rover Sport to ensure a perfect fit."

·
SUPER MODERATOR
989 Posts

The sunshades are a six piece "install and remove" kit for the second row and tailgate side windows. Per the configurator, "This six piece set has been bespoke tailored to the Range Rover Sport to ensure a perfect fit."
Thanks! I actually did see that already, thought maybe there was another option I hadn't found yet.

·
Registered
710 Posts

I noticed that the new Sport has a "wading depth" detection system that graphically shows the wading depth limits on the screen and how close you are coming to those limits. Pretty cool. Wonder if it will show up onthe full size.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Yes, wading depth is on the RR MY 2014, build date May 7 2013 onwards.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts

What else will there be as a change to the 2013?

Curious cause I´m waiting for my SDV8 AB to be delivered in July and
none seems to know what differences there will be, if any.

Dealer expects further info after easter holidays which is about now ;-)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts

Interesting that the wading depth tech has been added to the 2014 RR builds. Since this is an off the shelf item do you know if any of those other items from the RRS have made it to the 2014 RR? : wifi, enhanced park, lane departure, remote app/GPS?

My original point here was that given the very short time spread between the 2 introductions it was strange they didn't include the newer tech on the 2014 RR.

The comments by others about differences in the very first RRS and the RR of that year is explained by the longer time gap between their launches. Here we have identical architecture and electronic tech items which are all 3rd party sourced and plugged in. It's not as though Land Rover developed or even makes the lane departure, camera or wifi equipment.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts