RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went on a 450 mile drive last week to the Sierras. The overall average was an indicated 23.5 mpg on my tuned 2014 HSE. Not bad considering the cruise control was on 74 and the trip crossed over the 7500' summit. On the way home I refilled the tank and calculated exactly 20 mpg. This is pretty much in line with other mpg calculations that I have made. I can see RR wanting their owners to feel good about their cars and seeing a somewhat optimistic mpg reading on the dash by maybe 1 or 2 mpg, but this is somewhat excessive. Why even have the thing if it is close to 20% off? Not a big deal but an observation.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Did you do a full reset on your trip computer at each fill up or just let it continue calculating?

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,224 Posts
It's not just an LR thing, other car manufacturers are known to be optimistic with their computer MPG read outs, I know my Acura was usually 2 mpg over.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Reset trip A so started with 0 miles and new set of downs.
If you don't reset the mpg reading it's an average of as long as you've been driving the vehicle not just that trip.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, this is nothing new. My mpg reading has been overly optimistic since it's first tank of gas. I have calculated the actual gas mileage since day one after every fillup and the indicated mpg is truly about 3 mpg high.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yup, that's also my observation 1-3 mpg on the optimistic side. I have averaged 17.5mpg since the day I bought the car. You guys have seen my data in the past, so here's the latest.
RRS_mpg.jpg

This is yearly trend comparison. We have seasonal fuel formulations here in NJ and you can really see how well the cars like the "winter" fuels. The winter formulas are supposed to reduce emissions but I'm not sure I understand the logic of doing so at the expense of burning more fuel and therefore emitting more fumes. But heck, what do I know?... I'm no politicianist.
RRS_mpg2.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
We went on a 450 mile drive last week to the Sierras. The overall average was an indicated 23.5 mpg on my tuned 2014 HSE. Not bad considering the cruise control was on 74 and the trip crossed over the 7500' summit. On the way home I refilled the tank and calculated exactly 20 mpg. This is pretty much in line with other mpg calculations that I have made. I can see RR wanting their owners to feel good about their cars and seeing a somewhat optimistic mpg reading on the dash by maybe 1 or 2 mpg, but this is somewhat excessive. Why even have the thing if it is close to 20% off? Not a big deal but an observation.
The 20% figure isn't a coincidence.

US liquid gallon = UK liquid gallon * 1.2009.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The 20% figure isn't a coincidence.

US liquid gallon = UK liquid gallon * 1.2009.
That's true, which is why it always seems they get better mpg in the UK than we do in the US.

There are a lot of UK vs US gallon/mileage converters online. Are the quoted numbers on the US LR website the same as the UK Website?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2014.5 v6 HSE averages 18.95 MPG over 17433 miles. The best I have ever got was 21.4. I only use premium fuel. I have reset the MPG reading mid fueling and I haven't seen any difference.
The window sticker says 17 city; 23 highway and 5.3 per 100 miles with a driving range of 526 miles.
I do not tow or off road.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
That's true, which is why it always seems they get better mpg in the UK than we do in the US.

There are a lot of UK vs US gallon/mileage converters online. Are the quoted numbers on the US LR website the same as the UK Website?
I think it was mentioned for a different reason. I brought this up in a similar context before, and I am more and more certain of it. The software in Land Rover vehicles has a bug in the mileage calculator. Even if your car is set to US, it seems to consistently calculate with UK gallons. As the others above me said, this seems to be a very consistent mistake by the systems across the board. I think it's a simple software bug in the depth of the codes.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
The winter formulas are supposed to reduce emissions but I'm not sure I understand the logic of doing so at the expense of burning more fuel and therefore emitting more fumes. But heck, what do I know?... I'm no politicianist.
Totally with you on that.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Very interesting. The talk of imperial gallon vs wine gallon has come up a few times and I completely forget about it. Rather reminds me of Lockheed Martin's SAE vs Metric foul up that cost NASA the Mars orbiter. :doh:

·
Banned
31 Posts
You guys should have got the diesel if you were really concerned about the fuel economy in your 6-figure supercharged luxury SUV.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
LMFAO! zzzzzing! Careful, those are fightin words to a few of the more touchy owners around here. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
You guys should have got the diesel if you were really concerned about the fuel economy in your 6-figure supercharged luxury SUV.
I think you misunderstood the thread. I think the point here is that there's 1 thing the vehicle is reporting about itself, and then there's reality. It probably isn't engine specific at all, and nobody brought this up in the context of fuel economy concerns.

·
Banned
31 Posts
I think you misunderstood the thread. I think the point here is that there's 1 thing the vehicle is reporting about itself, and then there's reality. It probably isn't engine specific at all, and nobody brought this up in the context of fuel economy concerns.
Or you could just use the L/100km reading like the rest of the world and you won't have to worry about US/Imperial dinosaur conversions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts